Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 07:59 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Are you sure?

Flying supply planes for the military isn't flying for FedEx. It is flying where people are shooting at you, it's flying to get stuff in regardless, or to get people out, regardless.

Seen the picture of the Chinook helicopter hovering off a cliff to do the mission? That may be Army and that may be a helicopter, but it is rather like that.

It may be dropping cargo like this
https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/c130_5.jpg
which may result in a crash such as this
https://theaviationist.com/2013/07/0...-26-years-ago/

Further, one may still be using weapons, be it dropping mines, gun ships, or just delivering the devices, man or machine, that kill other people.

FINALLY, while it is true that much of the military does not, as their specialty, fire a gun, the basic thing is, from my POV, if I can't issue them a gun, I guess with an exception or two, then why are they there in the first place?

I'm aware of all that.

I knew that going in.

Thank you though.

It doesn't matter now does it?

Cause they wouldn't take me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 08:36 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,661,013 times
We killed people with our five inch gun and mortar and while I never looked someone in the eye and killed them, by being a member of the crew, I was part of the process. We were a "mother ship" for Navy Swift Boats so I also got to see firsthand people who were on the on the receiving end of fire.

I did my duty to the best of my ability. Can't say though, that I am proud of being part of that war. Slept better at night when we returned to regular duty; ocean stations and search and rescue.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:07 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
Born in 1956. When I was 11, I was absolutely convinced that when I turned 19 I was I was going to get drafted and sent on the suicide mission in Vietnam. 453 dead in one week. Cannon fodder for the old people. Walk through the jungle, trigger a booby trap, something to look forward to. Old people back then also demanded prison for a bag of weed.

2018, I am now old. I have no desire to draft anyone or send them to prison for weed.
What does this mishegas have to do with "old people" ???

Old 08-22-2018, 05:29 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,140,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
you know - my roommate is a Vietnam vet - two purple hearts. He is very proud of his service and also saw it as a duty to his country!

I retired from the air force, but I don't agree with the mandatory national service. I loved my time in the service.
He said mandatory national service--with military service being only one possible component. There are plenty of other ways to "serve" one's country. Personally, I'd like to see the Civilian Conservation Corps brought back.

Although I don't know that I'd make it mandatory...but, I would like to see a very nice tuition reimbursement plan tied to that sort of service. It's already available to teachers and first responders who, in my mind, perform every bit a national "service" as those in the military.

Old 08-22-2018, 05:43 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
What does this mishegas have to do with "old people" ???
SERIOUSLY? It's obvious from the first post. You got bupkes.

Old 08-22-2018, 05:48 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
My rant is that when I was a kid, I was told to respect my elders. They deserve no respect. My elders demanded I go to Vietnam for nothing. The Archie Bunker let’s show how tough America is. These punk kids need a war to straighten them out. The war on drugs was also part of this plot. Hippies refused to die in Vietnam, so let’s put them in prison. Jail or Army was another option.

My local newspaper had a front-page picture of someone in a Marine graduation uniform. 17, dead in some place called Quang Tri.

Rich kids like Trump got a doctor’s note, poor kids were sent and many are still there, in the mud 10,000 miles away

2018, young people are lining up to go to Iraq and Afghanistan. All volunteers, they know what car bombs are, they agree to the risk.
You were never even close to serving in Vietnam or getting drafted.

Most of the men born between 1945 and 1952 did not get drafted. Do you realize how large the military would have been if they did?

Old 08-22-2018, 06:35 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Sheesh! The Vietnam conflict and everything it entails, (e.g., the draft, evading it, gov't lying, drugs, war, etc.), is still dividing this country, (and us here on C-D). Do we really have to fight this battle again?

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 08-22-2018, 07:22 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
There is no longer a draft.

Hope that no stoner runs you over when you are crossing the street.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:22 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
There is no longer a draft.

Hope that no stoner runs you over when you are crossing the street.
LOL. I just read today that people who smoke pot on a regular basis have brains that age quicker.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:31 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
LOL. I just read today that people who smoke pot on a regular basis have brains that age quicker.
Aside from being wrong, this has gotten off topic. How about returning to the actual topic of the thread - in what ways are your attitudes now that you are "old" the same as or different from the views of "old" folks when you were young?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement