Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 10:34 AM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times

Advertisements

Tolterodine. Brand name = Detrol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 10:42 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Working Part Time View Post
....But I am miserable! WHY? I am so tired of not sleeping at night because I have to get up and go to the bathroom 3-4 times a night......

Fellow old retired men, is this an issue for you and what have you done to make it better?

IF YOU TAKE PILLS THAT MAKE IT BETTER- TELL US WHAT THEY ARE!!
First of all, why are you trotting off to the bathroom? That little trip, in my experience, is a major part of what keeps you awake after you take a leak. This jaunt is pressing the wake-up button. I put on empty fabric softener bottle (or something similar) beside the bed and pee in it and fall back asleep. No trips to the bathroom, just swing your legs over the side, pick up the plastic bottle and do your stuff. I specifically use an old fabric softener bottle become it has a large opening and it sits upright on the floor or a bedside table. Unless your urine has a very strong odor you should not even have to fool around with screwing the top on.

Hospital style urinals are meant for peeing lying down and are a nuisance.

Pills? If you have benign prostatitis you doctor should have tried Tanusolina .4mg. In my experience it has worked best taking it an hour or so before going to bed, and not right before....even if the doctor says right before. It may take a couple of days to work, and from time to time I stop taking it as my body seemed to get used to it. After a week or even three day go back to it.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:57 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
Join the crowd... I've got the same problem, but it's usually hot flashes that wake me up, and THEN I have to pee. What fun, sitting on the toilet wiping the sweat off my face with my scalp also dripping wet.

Some hot flashes last a long time, long after I've gone back to bed (10-15 minutes) and of course I am wide awake.

Getting your sleep interrupted, plainly sucks.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:02 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Join the crowd... I've got the same problem, but it's usually hot flashes that wake me up, and THEN I have to pee. What fun, sitting on the toilet wiping the sweat off my face with my scalp also dripping wet.

Some hot flashes last a long time, long after I've gone back to bed (10-15 minutes) and of course I am wide awake.

Getting your sleep interrupted, plainly sucks.
Have you tried vitamin E for the hot flashes? Won't eliminate them but may make them less intense.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:52 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,431,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Probably not. He's Retired Now.

Silly, I meant going frequently, that is more often than not.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:56 AM

813 posts, read 1,133,423 times
I am 65 and maybe wake up to pee a few times a year!

Old 08-22-2018, 12:17 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
As long as I'm still waking up at this age I consider myself ahead of the game.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:02 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Working Part Time View Post
My life could be nearly perfect. I am semi-retired with Social Security, a pension, savings and a great part-time job that helps the community. I have lots of friends and a supportive family. Our home is beautiful and we love our community.

But I am miserable! WHY? I am so tired of not sleeping at night because I have to get up and go to the bathroom 3-4 times a night. I have gone to doctors and tried exercises. Lots of tests. Have tried all the pills and even considered surgery. So far nothing has worked. It is getting worse as I age. My friends tell me they get up 2-4 times a night but fall asleep in 2 minutes after going. Lucky them- it takes me hours to fall back to sleep.

Fellow old retired men, is this an issue for you and what have you done to make it better?

IF YOU TAKE PILLS THAT MAKE IT BETTER- TELL US WHAT THEY ARE!!
Terazosin....For benign swollen prostate.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:25 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
The worst thing about being an older WOMAN is "having to go" 3-4 times at night.

So what else is new? Although my problem has gotten a bit worse since the doctor upped the diuretic component of my blood pressure medicine.

You have to teach yourself to not fully wake up when you get up to go at night. Just shuffle to the bathroom, do your business and shuffle back to bed. Don't turn on any lights (keep a small night light in the bathroom).
Bada Bing!

Old 08-22-2018, 01:39 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
One little indica gummy(marijuana) takes care of that problem completely for me. I take it a couple nights per week. I wear a fitbit and it makes a tremendous difference in my sleep cycles. Quite dramatic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement