U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 09:10 AM

7 posts, read 6,310 times

Advertisements

My life could be nearly perfect. I am semi-retired with Social Security, a pension, savings and a great part-time job that helps the community. I have lots of friends and a supportive family. Our home is beautiful and we love our community.

But I am miserable! WHY? I am so tired of not sleeping at night because I have to get up and go to the bathroom 3-4 times a night. I have gone to doctors and tried exercises. Lots of tests. Have tried all the pills and even considered surgery. So far nothing has worked. It is getting worse as I age. My friends tell me they get up 2-4 times a night but fall asleep in 2 minutes after going. Lucky them- it takes me hours to fall back to sleep.

Fellow old retired men, is this an issue for you and what have you done to make it better?

IF YOU TAKE PILLS THAT MAKE IT BETTER- TELL US WHAT THEY ARE!!

Last edited by Working Part Time; 08-22-2018 at 09:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 09:18 AM

563 posts, read 265,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Working Part Time View Post
My life could be nearly perfect. I am semi-retired with Social Security, a pension, savings and a great part-time job that helps the community. I have lots of friends and a supportive family. Our home is beautiful and we love our community.

But I am miserable! WHY? I am so tired of not sleeping at night because I have to get up and go to the bathroom 3-4 times a night. I have gone to doctors and tried exercises. Lots of tests. Have tried all the pills and even considered surgery. So far nothing has worked. It is getting worse as I age.

Fellow old retired men, is this an issue for you and what have you done to make it better?
I'm not a man but my husband gets up about 3 times each night. His is due to his previous prostrate cancer. I get up too.
I did find this article and it basically says You are not alone. According to a National Sleep Foundation survey, about 65 percent of people age of 55 and older reported getting up several times at night to use the bathroom.

Here's the link to the article. https://www.orlandohealth.com/blog/i...is-that-normal

Old 08-22-2018, 09:23 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,876,213 times
Day or night. I take meds that help a little but the frequency is still pretty high. At least a note from my doc gets me out of jury duty. Before I get piled on about it being my duty, it really would be a problem. It's bad enough having to excuse myself at business meetings.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:44 AM

563 posts, read 265,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Day or night. I take meds that help a little but the frequency is still pretty high. At least a note from my doc gets me out of jury duty. Before I get piled on about it being my duty, it really would be a problem. It's bad enough having to excuse myself at business meetings.
My husband can't do Jury Duty anymore either, his urologist gave him a note. When he has to go...HE HAS TO GO!

Old 08-22-2018, 09:57 AM

510 posts, read 303,162 times
If your problem is simple BPH that can be handled easily. Alpha Blockers work well for most. There are several different ones Try 'em all

You might just have a mild case of sleep apnea. Not enough to be of clinical significance but just enough to keep jostling you awake at night. After you're up you then make a mental connection to using the bathroom but your mind is fooling you.

Did the Dr you say you saw diagnose BPH? If so, get one of the new less-invasive /non surgical procedures

Last edited by fallstaff; 08-22-2018 at 10:18 AM..

Old 08-22-2018, 10:04 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,340,059 times
The worst thing about being an older WOMAN is "having to go" 3-4 times at night.

So what else is new? Although my problem has gotten a bit worse since the doctor upped the diuretic component of my blood pressure medicine.

You have to teach yourself to not fully wake up when you get up to go at night. Just shuffle to the bathroom, do your business and shuffle back to bed. Don't turn on any lights (keep a small night light in the bathroom).

Old 08-22-2018, 10:19 AM

1,827 posts, read 782,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Working Part Time View Post

But I am miserable! WHY? I am so tired of not sleeping at night because I have to get up and go to the bathroom 3-4 times a night. I have gone to doctors and tried exercises. Lots of tests. Have tried all the pills and even considered surgery. So far nothing has worked. It is getting worse as I age. My friends tell me they get up 2-4 times a night but fall asleep in 2 minutes after going. Lucky them- it takes me hours to fall back to sleep.

IF YOU TAKE PILLS THAT MAKE IT BETTER- TELL US WHAT THEY ARE!!
It happens to all of us, male or female. Have you tried limiting your fluids at night? Avoid beer because beer does make you have to go frequently. Do you have this same issue during the day?

Old 08-22-2018, 10:22 AM

7,609 posts, read 4,680,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Do you have this same issue during the day?

Probably not. He's Retired Now.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:27 AM

4,717 posts, read 10,309,443 times
I’m sure you already tried this but have your last drink 4 hours before your bedtime. And of course go take a leak right before you go to sleep. It has to atleast help.

Good luck.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:29 AM

7 posts, read 6,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
It happens to all of us, male or female. Have you tried limiting your fluids at night? Avoid beer because beer does make you have to go frequently. Do you have this same issue during the day?
Yes, I go often during the day but it is more manageable because I am awake and not trying to sleep. I don't drink much of anything. One time as an experiment I only had water and only a few sips and I still had to go three times that night. I don't have BPH according to the doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or