Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 01:48 PM

129 posts, read 101,770 times

Advertisements

I retired slowly over 8 years until I was working at home only 2 days a week before I worked no days a week. This gave us time to integrate our live together. My wife retired 8 years ago so she had her routines at home and then had me there to interfere with them. One example is vacuuming the rugs while I was on a business call. Then too much time together was not a good idea. You run out of things to say. It is nice that both of us have me time to watch what we want on TV and do things without each other. My wife does not even like when I go food shopping with her. Says that I slow her down and she ends up buying more junk food that I pick out. She does go out to play cards and Bingo three nights a week and I belong to three clubs, so I have meetings to go to each week. We seldom go out to eat without another couple as there is more to talk about with out friends with us.

I have read that too much time spent together can negatively affect a relationship. I think that is true and I know couples who do everything together and are quite happy. Since my wife and I have nothing in common we each do our own things but spend 5-11 PM together each night when possible. We do not get on each other's nerves or have to change long established and comfortable routines.

How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 02:13 PM

106,646 posts, read 108,790,719 times
i got locks for all my guns ha ha ha

actually my wife and i have the same interests so we do a lot together . in fact i work one day a week , really just to interface with others . it gives her a day to do her "me" things and it gets us apart for a bit .

one of the bad things about being in to the same things is we have to buy 2 of everything .

when it comes to our photography it is really bad. we have no adult supervision when it comes to buying stuff . i dropped a lens today which cost 1k , and it is damaged . she is like why bother fixing it , get the better version for 2k instead .

a normal wife would have said if you buy that i will beat you with it .

Old 08-23-2018, 02:15 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
I didn't.

Old 08-23-2018, 02:56 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
We were both worried about that, but as it turns out, the adjustment was very easy for us. He prefers to be outside doing chores, building things, chopping wood, or making things in his shop. I tend to be inside most of the day with my hobbies and chores. We meet up every couple of hours to share what we're each working on, and we're quite comfortable with this arrangement.

Old 08-23-2018, 03:45 PM

2,782 posts, read 2,081,537 times
Some wives and/or husbands are more clingy than others. I am not. Hope DW is not too.

Old 08-23-2018, 03:55 PM

45,355 posts, read 60,546,019 times
I wait from when school lets out in June until it starts again in August when Mrs. NBP has to go back. That was today. The last few days have been ugly.

When her being home finally gets to me I'll ask her when she goes back to work. This year it was the first day, the earliest it's ever been.

Old 08-23-2018, 04:42 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,861 times
He plays golf 2 to 3 days a week so he's gone for 4 to 5 hours. We also have a lower level where he goes to watch things I've no interest in. Otherwise he's my best bud.

Old 08-23-2018, 04:55 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
At ages 69/60, we are drifting into "retirement".
I work about 2 hours a day building websites.
She works 20 hours a week at a retail store.

We are together Sun-Wed.
On Thur-Fri and 1/2 Sat, she is at the store.

I expect to work thru 2019 and maybe 2020.
She will probably work until age 65.

Old 08-23-2018, 05:35 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times
Smile We worked in the same office also

Fourteen years ago, I moved my office into my husband's office. We both have our own businesses and even though I know he is down the hall, I don't see him that much because we are always busy. I also thought we would bring it home but we did not. Rarely do we talk about work.

So, yes, I thought it would be more of an adjustment. It really was not, however, when a client calls, they automatically think I know everything he does. Quite the opposite.

It has actually prepared us for the future. He is pretty easy to live with. I am more social; he could watch 3 episodes of NCIS and be happy as a clam. We have shared interests so that helps.

I think the adjustment of being together in the future will be easier.

Also, we downsized to 1 car a long time ago.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:09 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,038 times
We are more like Mathjak and his wife. Most of our interests align. We still feel like we are on vacation, after almost five years of retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement