Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 06:31 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,043,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Don't break your eyeglasses.

(Wonder if anybody else got the reference.)
I did.

Burgess Meredith was always one of my favorite actors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 06:58 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,117,721 times
I’ve tended to be a binge reader throughout my life. I’ll read book after book, and then I’ll cut back for awhile. Then I’ll start in again.

The biggest change for me is I have no patience for stuff that is not well written, or that seems easy to figure out. I will bail after about 100 pages. I used to almost always finish what I started.

I have a Kindle app on my IPad Mini, but I prefer to read softbound books. I hate trade paperbacks though. I will read a hardbound from the library.

I do a lot of blog reading about things I am interested in. I actually read more that way now, than in books.

I started keeping a book journal several years ago.

A couple of years ago, I reread an author I loved when I was in high school.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:17 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,829,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I’ve tended to be a binge reader throughout my life. I’ll read book after book, and then I’ll cut back for awhile. Then I’ll start in again.

The biggest change for me is I have no patience for stuff that is not well written, or that seems easy to figure out. I will bail after about 100 pages. I used to almost always finish what I started.

I have a Kindle app on my IPad Mini, but I prefer to read softbound books. I hate trade paperbacks though. I will read a hardbound from the library.

I do a lot of blog reading about things I am interested in. I actually read more that way now, than in books.

I started keeping a book journal several years ago.

A couple of years ago, I reread an author I loved when I was in high school.

A book journal...great idea. Wish I'd started many years ago...

Old 08-26-2018, 07:32 PM

19,770 posts, read 9,314,494 times
No, except that I am now reading more non-fiction than fiction, and I miss newspapers. (I haven't bought a magazine in almost 50 years and only read them now while waiting for an appointment.)

Old 08-26-2018, 07:43 PM

409 posts, read 292,312 times
I miss decent newspapers. Our local papers were bought by syndicates and the staff and content gutted.

Used to subscribe to 3-4 magazines. Like you, I read magazines only in waiting rooms.

Do not like reading on electronic devices, though I own a Kindle Fire. And I admit to checking headlines on my smartphone before I get up in the morning, when I should be out of bed getting ready for work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
No, except that I am now reading more non-fiction than fiction, and I miss newspapers. (I haven't bought a magazine in almost 50 years and only read them now while waiting for an appointment.)

Old 08-26-2018, 07:47 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,693,210 times
Magazines I still read occasionally, especially if it's one to benefit my investing skills. A paper I haven't picked up in years and same with a book. Much easier to read what I want online these days.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:30 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,787,438 times
I love to read! And I love to read real books. There's just something about the feel of them in my hands. I also love the smell and feel of libraries. Very comforting.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:41 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,773,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
It's funny but e-readers and tablets mess up my eyes' focusing ability bigtime. It takes more than five minutes for my eyes to begin to start focusing normally after spending any time looking at an electronic screen. There is also something about the backlit page in a small size (meaning less than the 24" monitor that I'm currently looking at right now) that causes eyestrain for me in a way that a paper book does not. It's one of several reasons why I don't have and don't want a smartphone. When I went iPad-shopping for the aforementioned eBook (I couldn't see getting a Kindle when I had no intention of ever using the thing for more than that single novella, so I might as well get something that I could also play games on!) I discovered that the full size iPad is too big for me to hold in my hand comfortably. So the Mini is a good compromise. I take it with me when I have doctor appointments so that I can play a game rather than handling some germ-covered waiting-room magazine.

Because of sleep issues I impose a 9 pm deadline on "nearby" electronic screens. The tv is okay because it's 16 feet away, but anything closer will cause all sorts of problems with falling asleep, staying asleep, and having nightmares. Apparantly my brain takes at least 3 or 4 hours to 'downshift' after looking at pixels within anything like close range.
You need e-ink. It is not backlit, it's like paper. You need a light on to read. Most newer e-ink e-readers have a light built in - it shines across the page, not from behind.

All those "color" e-readers are just itsy bitsy castrated tablets, which are themselves already castrated laptops, LOL!. E-ink is the way to go.

I want a generic e-reader that doesn't require you to attach to somebody's server or it won't work, because they want to funnel you to their e-books. The manager at my local Barnes & Noble really quizzed me hard about where I was getting e-books if I wasn't buying them at B&N. Like you had to be stealing them.

Project Gutenberg for one. Baen. Internet Archives. Lots of places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Some of the time I used to spend reading is now computer time, and my eyes can no longer handle reading for long stretches at a time like I used to do, but I still read every day, and I typically still have 2-4 books going at once. They just take longer to finish than they used to do. You best be careful if you wear glasses!
Poor Burgess Meredith!

As to the OP, I read about the same kind of stuff, a wide range of classics, SF, fantasy, misc fiction, history, Science topics, etc etc etc. But I read them a lot slower. Partly due to decrepit eyes but mostly due to the cognitive disabilities that comprise the greater part of my disability. I simply do not read as fast as I used to. Where I used to read a page at a time, I'm down to sentence by sentence - and sometimes glitch and forget everything I've read the past few minutes and have to find my way back to the last thing I remember reading and read that passage again.

So slower, but I still enjoy it just as much! And one advantage of the crappy memory is that I get to enjoy my favorite books and authors over and over again, like its the first time each time.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:49 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,012,727 times
I read a lot when I was younger and still do now. Maybe more.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:56 PM

48,509 posts, read 34,775,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I read much, much more and have delved into history, war history, historical novels, bios, novels, nonfiction.

Love it!
This is me too! I have always read a lot, but now my interests have expanded to a lot of non fiction, I always have multiple books going on my Kindle.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement