Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 09:13 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,946,200 times

Advertisements

There's a thread over on an Early Retirement site I frequent. Posters are putting up their thoughts about paying for their Children's College Education. I'm shocked, Shocked I say, at the unbridled greed displayed by some of those parents towards their children.....it's almost as if the Kids were a burden to them after High School.

Phrases like "I paid for my College. My Kids can do the same" Your College costs were minuscule compared to what even a State School is getting today !! One poster said "I offered to pay for 2 years Junior College. My Son can pay for the rest of it" Two years of JuCo is the current equivalent of the old HS diploma. Try getting any kid of job with that GED certificate.

If you're not ready and willing to give your Kids the advantage of a College Education.....you are NOT ready to Retire Early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 09:14 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,280 times
Is the a CD early retirement forum? what's the link?

Old 08-29-2018, 09:16 AM

I don't want to link it....just Google it. Caution -- There's some weird birds over there.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:22 AM

29 posts, read 28,831 times
That's one point of view. Retiring early is a complicated decision involving finances, health, social and mental states, how your mind perceives onset of other illness e.g. forgetting things is being interpreted as early sign for alz etc. Various pain and aches in different body parts with repetitive motions at works contribute to negative quality of life.

College education funding is a small portion in this equation. I believe people consider all factors before deciding.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:47 PM

3,080 posts, read 1,543,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
There's a thread over on an Early Retirement site I frequent. Posters are putting up their thoughts about paying for their Children's College Education. I'm shocked, Shocked I say, at the unbridled greed displayed by some of those parents towards their children.....it's almost as if the Kids were a burden to them after High School.

Phrases like "I paid for my College. My Kids can do the same" Your College costs were minuscule compared to what even a State School is getting today !! One poster said "I offered to pay for 2 years Junior College. My Son can pay for the rest of it" Two years of JuCo is the current equivalent of the old HS diploma. Try getting any kid of job with that GED certificate.

If you're not ready and willing to give your Kids the advantage of a College Education.....you are NOT ready to Retire Early.
I know of financial planners that have told their clients to saddle their kids with college loans and put their money into the parents retirement accounts instead. And these were parents who could afford to pay for their kids education. Height of selfishness to me.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:52 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,156,915 times
So whats your problem with parents giving their kids 1 or 2 years paid and then the kids take a loan for the rest?

Old 08-29-2018, 12:53 PM

487 posts, read 536,721 times
And there are individuals in that thread that set aside hundreds of thousands for their child's secondary education. Just different schools of thought and not necessarily anything to do with early retirement.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
So whats your problem with parents giving their kids 1 or 2 years paid and then the kids take a loan for the rest?
Because College Loans have usury Interest Rates and some kids never dig their way out of debt because of it. If you want to cheap out on the last 2 years, that's your own version of Parenting.

I said some of the posters were begrudging their kid's futures....not all of them. I started saving for my Daughter's College the year she was born. Monthly Payroll Deductions, rather painless really. We may have had to skip a Caribbean Cruise along the way but it was the best $80K we ever spent -- today she has an MBA and is Director of Marketing.

My Original Opinion still stands. If you haven't accounted for your children's college -- you're not really a candidate to Retire Early.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:57 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I'm 32 and went to college at the regional state university nearby. When I started at 18 in the fall of 2004, the "all-in annual cost," sans room/board/meals, was roughly $5,000. That's nearly $10,000 today. The state flagship is considerably more expensive than that.

You can fairly easily run up a six figure "sticker price" education at a public university without room and board, and with no financial aid.

Oh, and unless you're majoring in STEM or something that leads directly into the workforce like nursing or education, that education is probably not going to be worth it for many years after graduation. I graduated into the recession, but it took for four years for me to find a job for which my degree was a benefit. It took another year or two to make the student loan debt (around $9,000) and opportunity cost worthwhile for where the degree was a positive ROI.

There are also tons of horror stories out there about underfunded retirements. You've got to take care of yourself first.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:03 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,607,512 times
I'm not saying that parents shouldn't prepare for kids' college educations but they do have to also tend to their own futures & find a balance that might involve the kids working and/or taking out loans or attending lower cost colleges. Especially true for multiple children, they will have a longer time to pay off debts compared to parents.

If the kids are unable to get scholarships they need to apply for grants & consider less than Ivy League or perhaps join the military for schooling. Putting mom & dad in the poorhouse because they are unwilling to consider any of these is irrational & unfair just as mom & dad not agreeing to help at all is unfair.

And yes, I worked my way through university & I understand that it is much more difficult now to do, but this is the age that kids need to start putting some skin in the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement