Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 08:30 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,897 times

Advertisements

Why don't you just go ahead and have the air conditioner fixed in the car since you do have the money to do it and move on.Things break in a car...it's normal.At least you have the money to get it fixed.There is nothing else to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 09:00 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I'd disconnect and remove it, if it was my car. In fact, I've never had a car or a house that had air-conditioning. If you spend all that money on a 9 year-old car, it may be just the first of major repair expenses.
Yeah, a response from a guy who lives in Oregon. Ever been in Ohio in the summer? It's not Texas, but AC is a very good thing.

My vote is to fix what needs to be fixed, when it needs fixing, and drive the car till the wheels fall off. The Honda Civic is reputationally one of the most reliable vehicles out there. You will probably have to replace some things like water pumps and so on, but the basic car could easily be good for 200,000.

Who knows? In a couple years your needs might change. I hope you and your wife retain all your health and vigor unto extreme old age, but sometimes people do encounter age related issues that necessitate a change of vehicles (for example, a knee blows out and one no longer wants to drive a standard trans; or a hip blows out and one decides to trade off the small sedan for an SUV for easier entry/exit).

Old 08-31-2018, 10:14 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
For the first time in my life I don't have any outstanding loans or debts with the exception of our condo mortgage which will be all gone in 2 more years. Facing retirement on my 72nd birthday, that is when the condo is paid off, any sort of debt just scares me to death.

My wife's car is a 2010 Honda Civic that we purchased new and now has 111,000 miles.

The air conditioner went out, I had it looked at by a mechanic I totally trust who told me the compressor was going out and needed to be replaced.

Compressor was quoted at $1,000 (he checked for leaks so it isn't low on freon) and he told me the condenser should also be replaced bringing the total cost to $1,700. If I replace both units it comes with a warranty.

That is a lot of money and at first I thought about buying a new car but there's nothing else wrong with the Honda and I even had four new top of the line Michelin tires put on less than 2,000 miles ago.

But, the best thing about the Honda is it's all paid for.... if I go out and buy a new one I am looking at taking $20,000 out of savings OR facing a $400/month payment which I just hate the idea of. $1,700 is a lot of money but compared to payments it's only four months worth and I am done.

Wife drives her car maybe 12,000 miles a year, it doesn't look bad and it runs well.

I love living without debt.....

We each make our own decisions, there isn't a wrong or right answer here, but just curious to what would you do?
I would get a second opinion. That’s a really high price. Should be more around 1000 bucks. A compressor should be about $650 installed and a condenser about $3/400 installed. When you replace a compressor a dryer is usually replaced. He’s replacing the condenser as a precaution due to debris. How long is the warranty?

Personally I would fix it but get some other quotes now that you know what’s wrong with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Where do you live?

Can you (she) survive sharing 1 AC car for the next month or two. Until you get into cooler weather? (Not not having AC will effect your defroster, efficiency)

Pull off the "New Tires, Put them in storage" Get some used tires, or cheap replacements Sell the car next spring when the weather starts to warm up, Replace it with a "new" car

9 years and 111-120K miles the car has served you well, but it getting to an age where things need to be replaced.

So it going to be a continuing $1000 here , $500 there...
Replacing a few wear items is cheaper than buying a 40k BMW. You really dont know how much it’s gonna cost to keep the car running. Even if he buys new once out of warranty he’s back to out of pocket payments but still has the monthly payment for another three years.
It’s far cheaper to fix the car as things break. I’ve had cars running for 180/200,000 miles with a few big repairs. Still cheaper to fix and drive it than to buy a new equivalent. Especially if it’s been your car and you maintained it throughout its life you really minimize the repair factor on major components. Wear items are jus5 that. Normal replacement is required.

I rebuilt the axle in my truck. $1500 in parts I did the labor. To have it done would run about 6,000 bucks. To buy a new version of the truck would run 65,000. Truck drives like new now.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 08-31-2018 at 10:30 AM..

Old 08-31-2018, 11:12 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Ohio isn't Las Vegas or Phoenix. Just do without AC. Remember the phrase "4-60 air conditioning:" 4 windows rolled down & 60 miles per hour. People did without AC for decades.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:30 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,221,264 times
I would have my husband stuff his pie hole with ice cubes and blow on me. Sort of like a swamp cooler, right? LOL. I'm sorry.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:32 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,213,645 times
Default A fix

Quote:
For the first time in my life I don't have any outstanding loans or debts with the exception of our condo mortgage which will be all gone in 2 more years. Facing retirement on my 72nd birthday, that is when the condo is paid off, any sort of debt just scares me to death.

My wife's car is a 2010 Honda Civic that we purchased new and now has 111,000 miles.

The air conditioner went out, I had it looked at by a mechanic I totally trust who told me the compressor was going out and needed to be replaced.

Compressor was quoted at $1,000 (he checked for leaks so it isn't low on freon) and he told me the condenser should also be replaced bringing the total cost to $1,700. If I replace both units it comes with a warranty.

That is a lot of money and at first I thought about buying a new car but there's nothing else wrong with the Honda and I even had four new top of the line Michelin tires put on less than 2,000 miles ago.

But, the best thing about the Honda is it's all paid for.... if I go out and buy a new one I am looking at taking $20,000 out of savings OR facing a $400/month payment which I just hate the idea of. $1,700 is a lot of money but compared to payments it's only four months worth and I am done.

Wife drives her car maybe 12,000 miles a year, it doesn't look bad and it runs well.

We each make our own decisions, there isn't a wrong or right answer here, but just curious to what would you do?
So,

"a mechanic I totally trust who told me the compressor was going out and needed to be replaced."

Just for a check on yr mechanic and the problem, I would go to an auto parts store or Walmart and get a can of compressed gas with a hose on it and a fitting. It will connect to your a/c and allow you to recharge it for about $10. If it works then good on you. There are repair garages that allow you to buy the parts and they do the installation at a reason hourly rate. Worth looking into.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:02 PM

2,619 posts, read 3,149,268 times
Fix the AC and keep the car long as you can. Hondas generally last a long time.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:10 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:

OP, there's no good reason for a compressor to go out on a 2010 Honda with only 111K miles. Or any 2010 Honda. I've been driving a 2004 Honda, and the A/C is still going strong. You could buy a new compressor (etc.), or you could add another $2000 or so to the amount required, and get a "new" used Honda with roughly comparable mileage. Because if the compressor's gone on a 2010 with only 111K miles on it, who knows what's going to go next? Maybe the car was somewhat of a lemon. What model is it?

Old 08-31-2018, 12:15 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
Fix the AC and keep the car long as you can. Hondas generally last a long time.
Key word: "generally". I'd be a little suspicious of a Honda that needed a new compressor so early in its life. Unless it's a cheap, budget model of some kind.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:26 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
So,

"a mechanic I totally trust who told me the compressor was going out and needed to be replaced."

Just for a check on yr mechanic and the problem, I would go to an auto parts store or Walmart and get a can of compressed gas with a hose on it and a fitting. It will connect to your a/c and allow you to recharge it for about $10. If it works then good on you. There are repair garages that allow you to buy the parts and they do the installation at a reason hourly rate. Worth looking into.
Really don't know anything about automotive AC repair, do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement