U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What age do you expect to live to?
55-60 2 2.38%
61-65 2 2.38%
66-70 4 4.76%
71-75 10 11.90%
76-80 11 13.10%
81-85 21 25.00%
86-90 17 20.24%
91-95 5 5.95%
95+ 12 14.29%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-14-2008, 10:48 PM

510 posts, read 1,310,141 times

Advertisements

The poll asked how long I 'expected' to live, not how long I 'wanted' to live....
Hate to be the party pooper, but I've always thought this life was pretty overrated . I'd go tomorrow, happily ! On to the next plane, as they say (and no, I'm not horribly depressed or had a bad life, just feel like maybe I've already done this, or something) BTW, because of this, I make sure my life is as good as it can be, and refuse to settle for ho-hum, whenever possible.

But, of course, I expect that means I'll live much longer than I really want (murphy's law) , and I figure that means till about 80.

But, 150????? EEEEKKK!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 12:22 PM

5,177 posts, read 8,703,964 times
Smile Living to an old age

My mom is 87. I look at her life - no quality at all. Just sits around. Yes, she eats but is losing her memory little by little.

My MIL died at 76 after 8 years of Alzheimers. Horrible, horrible disease.

My dad died at 72 due to congestive heart failure. He had scarlet fever as a kid and that did him in. He was a wonderful guy.

My FIL is 85, very healthy.

Who knows? It's kind of depressing to think about....

Old 08-17-2008, 07:10 PM

28,266 posts, read 39,934,162 times
Barring some idiot in a vehicle - Over 100, both of us. We are both 60.

What have we done to prepare? Lifetime pension, LTC policy, will be retiring to an area with great medical facilities, etc.

Edit: We are already planning for the eventuality of Alzheimer's or the like. We will not let one another suffer through this or any other debilitating disease. I've watched others go through it and I will not and my wife has said she will not.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:04 PM

13,574 posts, read 21,729,972 times
If the good Lords willing, I hope to live for at least 30 more years and be able to live unassisted and in a good state of mind..But, alas I am 66 now and most relatives on both sides died in their mid eighties except my mom who was just 71..I will just live each day as though it were my last and live and love the best I can

Old 08-23-2008, 09:10 AM

7,438 posts, read 12,962,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
my husband promised me a date when he is 99 to chase me around the house and I plan to hold him to it.
Used to work for a man who said, if he has to die, he wants to be 102 years old and shot by a jealous husband!

Old 08-26-2008, 12:04 PM

41,492 posts, read 51,418,971 times
If I made it to 102 I would want to be able to shoot the jealous husband so I could live longer. I plan on have my retirement income subsidize my living expenses while I figure out how to do something interesting that makes money.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:34 PM

189 posts, read 638,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holloway1010 View Post
How long do you expect to live. How have you prepared yourself financially and physically for the "golden years".
My "golden years" were when all my family was still living. Now that I'm 62 and headed into the jungle of old age, I find it a chore to keep myself happy, although I succeed a lot of the time. My biggest problem is missing all my loved ones, including my dogs. My best friend back in Michigan is also gone. I feel lost most of the time, especially since I've moved around a lot.

My Dad was a very active, healthy man with no bad habits such as drinking and smoking. I thought he would live to 90 at least. But he didn't quite make his 77th birthday. All of his siblings died relatively young -- one brother at age 48 -- heart attack in his easy chair one night. He smoked and drank beer a lot. None of the rest lived beyond their 60's. Both sets of grandparents died in their 50's and 60's.

My mother, who only lived to 57, had 6 siblings. One died at age 36 of pneumonia in 1943. Her middle sister died at age 73. But one of her brothers, my Uncle John, is still living and is 87. He can't walk too far without huffing and puffing, but he's outlived the whole bunch on both sides. He's been an outdoorsman all his life and is married to a good younger woman (by 15 years) who shares his interests. I think that's what has kept him going more than anything. He didn't smoke, nor drink.

So....how long will I live? I have no idea. I don't drink (other than social stuff like one glass of wine now and then), and I've never had a cigarette in my mouth, thank God. I still ski and plan to keep going into my 70's. I've skied with people in their mid-80's -- and they skied circles around me. I don't know whether longevity is due to genes, healthy living, good attitude or a combination of all three. I guess the thing is to enjoy the present and see what happens. Only God knows the date you'll check out.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:43 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,510,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holloway1010 View Post
How long do you expect to live. How have you prepared yourself financially and physically for the "golden years".
I'm 62. My mother died at 67 from pancreatic cancer. My father followed a year later from emphysema. congestive heart failure and willing himself to death. My one paternal uncle died at 69 from an aneurism and his and my father's father at 71 from prostate cancer. Obviously, my longevity genes are somewhat lacking.

I quit smoking after about 43 years of it but am relatively healthy and walk about four miles a day and trek on weekends. I, too, have emphysema but while classified as "severe," I am somewhat asymptomatic so I hope to live until my early 80s at least.

As for preparing financially, I lost everything in divorce, including half my pension, some 14 years ago but I'm actually better off financially now than I was then. I still have a great, defined benefit retirement plan from my state to look forward to (I'm retiring next year), Social Security and premium-paid medical and dental insurance with full prescription coverage (small co-pays only).

We're moving to a much lower cost of living area and we'll do fine!

Old 09-02-2008, 08:29 PM

189 posts, read 638,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I'm 62.
I quit smoking after about 43 years of it but am relatively healthy and walk about four miles a day and trek on weekends. I, too, have emphysema but while classified as "severe," I am somewhat asymptomatic so I hope to live until my early 80s at least.

We're moving to a much lower cost of living area and we'll do fine!
You're an inspiration to me because you're much more active than I am, even though I ski.

I have a friend in Denver who is 72, and she also smoked for about the same time you did. However, she's a picture of health and is a kick-butt skier -- much more stamina than I have because she's so active year-round. So keep going; you'll probably outlive me!

Good luck in your move when you retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or