Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 02:58 AM

7 posts, read 6,559 times

Advertisements

I retired in 2010 and have been pulling about 4% out of my 401k each and every year. The experts told me I should be about 60% total stock market and 40% Total Bonds/Cash. The experts also told me that I should pull out about 4% each year from my retirement portfolio, based on my starting figure, and increase that amount each year 2-3% to cover inflation. I have been following the advice of these experts for almost 8 years.

Now after almost 8 years in retirement my starting million dollars in retirement savings in my 401k is now $1.7 million. (Due to the Bull Market.) Can I restart the clock and start pulling 4% out of my current 401k assets of 1.7 million (instead of my starting figure of One Million) now so I can spend more money and enjoy life more? What do the experts say?

Last edited by always thinking; 09-15-2018 at 03:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 03:04 AM

16,146 posts, read 10,284,780 times
The 4% rule takes into account bull and bear markets. You have only experienced one of these markets since you started withdrawing. Keep that in mind.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:24 AM

106,003 posts, read 107,976,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by always thinking View Post
I retired in 2010 and have been pulling about 4% out of my 401k each and every year. The experts told me I should be about 60% total stock market and 40% Total Bonds/Cash. The experts also told me that I should pull out about 4% each year from my retirement portfolio, based on my starting figure, and increase that amount each year 2-3% to cover inflation. I have been following the advice of these experts for almost 8 years.

Now after almost 8 years in retirement my starting million dollars in retirement savings in my 401k is now $1.7 million. (Due to the Bull Market.) Can I restart the clock and start pulling 4% out of my current 401k assets of 1.7 million (instead of my starting figure of One Million) now so I can spend more money and enjoy life more? What do the experts say?
the general rule of thumb is if your balance is 50% larger than the day you started take a 10% increase in addition to an inflation raise .

repeat every 3 years if the balance is still 50% above your initial starting point . other wise you will leave to much money left over in anything better than worst case outcomes .

the idea of waiting 3 years in between each raise is to avoid taking to much to fast .

so i would say you have at least 2 10% raises due you plus inflation adjusting if you are still 50% above where you started .

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-15-2018 at 03:47 AM..

Old 09-15-2018, 06:17 AM

6,595 posts, read 7,268,514 times
If you do some reading on the 4% rule you will find a lot of adjustments to it. I think it is a good rule as you start your career but you have to adjust it to the market.
Yes you can start over since you have been doing this for a few years. Remember it is designed to get you through the worst market. If the first half of your retirement has a rising market you have a lot less of a problem with a falling market at the end of retirement.
I hope your bonds are individual and not mutual funds as interest rates should increase.
You might try the IRS MRD tables. These consider the market. Do a back test for your case.
Remember the 4% rule has a large number of years of falling interest rates so the history is not matching the expected future. It also uses a 30 year life which maybe too short.
For safety make sure you have a couple of years of your cash needs in something (CD's) that you can cash in if the market crashes.

Sticking with the 4% rule figure out your cash needs from your investments and multiply by 25 (4% in disguise). Say you need 50,000. That would say you need 1,250,000 in savings for 30 years in the worst market SEQUENCE. That means that you could splurge with your excess assets.

I assume you are increasing the 4% for inflation each year

Old 09-15-2018, 06:51 AM

the easiest way to handle real world draws i find is to use a dynamic system .

you don't ever want to use anything like basing it on variable an rmd schedule though. . another 2008 balance crushing event would leave you unlikely to pay bills with a large market fall as that income using the variable rmd chart would be anything but consistent ..

don't forget the whole idea of a safe withdrawal rate is a consistent income you can plan around in good and bad times . an rmd schedule is anything but that . it varies yearly greatly in dollars .

it is also the reverse of what we want. we want more to spend early on when we are able to do more .

rmd's increase the percentage draw as you age .

but there are other dynamic systems that keep income in a tighter range yet adjust each year with the markets .

i use bob clyatt's 95/5 system . it allows a bit higher draw in good years without crushing reductions in down years .

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-15-2018 at 07:32 AM..

Old 09-15-2018, 10:09 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,082,813 times
I don't think there is a satisfactory answer to this issue. I analyzed my withdrawals and also retired at the end of 2010. In addition when I retired, my wife and I sold the house and took off in an RV. RV travel was cheap compared with living in a house in a high COL area. Anyway for the first years of retirement we pulled much less than 4%. I have also maintained a fairly high stock allocation for my investments. Now my portfolio has grown almost 3x.

I have used Firecalc to try to understand what is reasonable. If I reapply Firecalc for 25 years instead of the initial 30 years, I supposedly have a 98% success rate in "resetting" my withdrawals. I certainly would not feel safe resetting the clock. That 98% success rate is an average. We have had a long run of decent investment returns. Sooner or later we are going to see a recession. We might also see a prolonged period with little or no returns on investments. Personally, I am just splitting the difference. If we have a couple more good years on returns, I might increase withdrawals again. If the economy has a set back, I should not have to reduce withdrawals and I will be happy I did not overspend when times were looking good.

Old 09-15-2018, 01:04 PM

under average outcomes a safe withdrawal rate is 6.50% . but since we don't plan safe withdrawal rates around anything but worst outcomes it is important to take raises every so often if things leave you more than 50% above where you started .

otherwise 90% of the time you will die 30 years later with more than you started .

over 30 years a 10% raise plus inflation adjusting every 3 years if you are still up that much to allow it would be a 100% increase besides inflation adjusting .

Old 09-15-2018, 01:20 PM

7 posts, read 6,559 times
I wish I had known when I was younger my investments were going to do so well. I lived a very conservative life since retirement and did not do many of the things I had dreamed about when I first planned my retirement. Now I am old and soon I will be so tired that just leaving the house will be a challenge.

I could have pulled out 8-9% of my starting portfolio since I retired and still have more money today than I started with. What I could have done during those years of relative health!!!! (If I only knew)

Old 09-15-2018, 01:31 PM

however markets spend 80% of their time between the last low and last high . so until the next part of the cycle completes what we all have ain't what we will have for the next ride up from the low . bull markets have an evil twin . the problem is it does not matter how many up years you have . all that matters is the damage in the down cycle when it happens when spending down

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-15-2018 at 02:23 PM..

Old 09-15-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I don't think there is a satisfactory answer to this issue. I analyzed my withdrawals and also retired at the end of 2010. In addition when I retired, my wife and I sold the house and took off in an RV. RV travel was cheap compared with living in a house in a high COL area. Anyway for the first years of retirement we pulled much less than 4%. I have also maintained a fairly high stock allocation for my investments. Now my portfolio has grown almost 3x.

I have used Firecalc to try to understand what is reasonable. If I reapply Firecalc for 25 years instead of the initial 30 years, I supposedly have a 98% success rate in "resetting" my withdrawals. I certainly would not feel safe resetting the clock. That 98% success rate is an average. We have had a long run of decent investment returns. Sooner or later we are going to see a recession. We might also see a prolonged period with little or no returns on investments. Personally, I am just splitting the difference. If we have a couple more good years on returns, I might increase withdrawals again. If the economy has a set back, I should not have to reduce withdrawals and I will be happy I did not overspend when times were looking good.
A 98% success rate is not an average at all. it means if it is a 30 year retirement than you would have already survived 98% of the 118 30 year retirement periods to date. You may have ended with a dollar but you passed to the end
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement