Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 10:01 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,903,144 times

Advertisements

Walmart hired me at age 68. Was there 8 years. Start a new job next Mon. and I'll be 76 on Tues.. Sometimes age doesn't matter. They were looking for good experience and they are getting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 09:18 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,582,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Walmart hired me at age 68. Was there 8 years. Start a new job next Mon. and I'll be 76 on Tues.. Sometimes age doesn't matter. They were looking for good experience and they are getting it.

Wouldn't you rather be retired? Surely you've earned it.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post

Of course I'd rather be retired but that's not going to happen. I'll be working till I drop dead or become totally incapacitated, whichever comes first. I'm one of those who relied on life being pretty good at this age but it didn't work out that way. I accepted it a long time ago and, even though it can get kind of depressing to think about sometimes, it is what it is.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:46 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,582,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Of course I'd rather be retired but that's not going to happen. I'll be working till I drop dead or become totally incapacitated, whichever comes first. I'm one of those who relied on life being pretty good at this age but it didn't work out that way. I accepted it a long time ago and, even though it can get kind of depressing to think about sometimes, it is what it is.

Sorry to hear about that. I have a younger half-brother in that position. He said his retirement plan is death or disability. Which is a shame, because his father would have paid for all of his college. But he blew that opportunity. So in his case, it's self-inflicted.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Sorry to hear about that. I have a younger half-brother in that position. He said his retirement plan is death or disability. Which is a shame, because his father would have paid for all of his college. But he blew that opportunity. So in his case, it's self-inflicted.

I paid for my own college but never used the education due to following a husband all over for HIS work and education. Had to work jobs that I could get and leave easy which meant not very good wages. That, in turn, meant a smallish SS payment. I sure hadn't planned on being single and alone at this age because of divorce but even widowed I would've been in the same position I suppose. I figure my biggest mistake was getting married in the first place. lol But, truly, I never expected him to just decide he didn't want to be married anymore. I've worked hard over the years to take care of myself, save what I could...and haven't done TOO bad, but it's been hard. What I'm hoping, at this point, is that I can afford to only work part time. I make 'fair' money these days, plus my SS and I can do alright but ONE biggie...ie health problems...could do me in. I've even thought about getting a room mate but that needs a LOT more thought. Anyway, I WILL survive and do okay. Just have to keep plugging!

Old 10-14-2018, 08:07 PM

5,576 posts, read 6,501,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I also had a retired 71 year old lady friend who took a part-time job at Home Depot. She had recently gotten her Master Gardener certification and wanted to work in the garden department PT, mostly just for something to do during the week. She started in garden, but soon they trained her as a cashier, and next thing you know they were asking her to work on call for people who called in sick, etc. She ended up working 39 hours a week, on her feet the whole time, and they were very dictatorial about her schedule, insisting that she work until closing many nights, and often changing her schedule at the last minute. After a year or so, when she asked for a week off, unpaid, for a vacation to see her grand kids they told her no, so she quit that day. It seems they can't understand that they needed her a lot more than she needed them.
Somebody, anybody, can you explain this? Same with the poster who said her husband asked for time off three weeks in advance to go to a ballgame and they scheduled him so he also quit. What is up with employers/managers/supervisors/time schedulers who pull this crap? There is no reason for it, makes a good employee quit and then they whine they are short staffed, can't keep help, etc.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Somebody, anybody, can you explain this? Same with the poster who said her husband asked for time off three weeks in advance to go to a ballgame and they scheduled him so he also quit. What is up with employers/managers/supervisors/time schedulers who pull this crap? There is no reason for it, makes a good employee quit and then they whine they are short staffed, can't keep help, etc.

That stuff happens at Walmart too. In fact, I put in for two weeks vacation a month before I wanted to take it and it was neither approved nor rejected for three weeks in spite of me 'bugging' my manager. THEN they decided I couldn't have the time I wanted and gave me six days of their choosing! Mad?? I was furious! They also change your schedule constantly, cut hours and expect you to live on that. They USED TO BE really good to work for but some people up in that ivory tower of theirs keeps coming up with these cockamamie ideas that might look good on paper but don't work in reality. Then you also have the people who call off all the time and they don't replace them so the ones who do show up have to do the work of three people. By the time I left there I felt like a used and abused dishrag, I swear. Eight years was all I could take and it's no wonder the turnover is so bad. Also if you have more than five absences in six months you get fired so short handed again. I'm thinking that all the major corporations are doing the same things because I talk to people who work at Home Depot, Lowes, Target and others and they all have the same complaints.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
I actually had the equivalent of 99 yrs of 40 hr work weeks when I retired at age 49 (Dairy farm boarding school + caregiving + always working 3 jobs.) But... I would gladly work till I drop (any day now) so I could continue giving to others. Work has never been a significant burden, nor do I feel I 'deserve' to retire (or get my next meal.) YMMV.

Work was a BREEZE compared to 32 yrs of caregiving + work (nights) + school (Days) + homeschooling + farming.

Pretty simple life since my parent died, kids left home, job outsourced...

One of my favorite PT gigs (for last 50+ yrs) is commercial driving, I take the risky runs with bad weather, hazardous cargo, weekend graveyard... it pays decent and driving is such an excellent task. Get back to the terminal alive... park the rig and go home. Leave your troubles (and cares) behind.

During college I did a 865 mile route through CO, WY SD NE 3 weekend nights / week (for 7 yrs). Really bad weather, great pay, nobody bugging you.

I always chat with the 'retiree' Airport shuttle drivers. Most are quite pleased with the job. Many Lyft drivers feel the same. In Singapore, retirees are often Taxi drivers, they like being on their own schedule. (and they get free use of a car (rather than have to spend $60k for a permit just to have a car, then additional $100k for a car).

Old 10-14-2018, 10:02 PM

17,340 posts, read 11,268,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Welcome to the world of big box retail. It's the side customers don't see.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Welcome to the world of big box retail. It's the side customers don't see.
Lowe's is a pro at wearing out ...('using') senior help.

To little staff, too long of hours, totally inept 'managers' (?)

Costco is about 40 steps better (including benefits and hours... (if you don't mind working nights )(much preferred by me... I never understood why anyone would burn daylight working at a j-o-b at facility that had lights))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement