Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 02:08 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,873,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Most people don't realize this as there are often suggestions here on CD that if a senior person needs or wants a part time job, just go to Home Depot, Lowes, or Walmart.
Some seniors do indeed work there part time and last for several years. Much of it depends on how you as a person are treated taking into consideration your age and need to take time off work. Most of the time, you will not be looked at as an individual but as part of the "Team", which means you need to step up and be like everyone else. Your age doesn't give you many perks.

I can tell you that those big companies don't take into consideration age, physical limitations or even seniority. None of those give you any "perks". At the end of my tenure at Walmart I felt like nothing more than a number and a 'warm body'. Even the schedules are made at the home office and not at the stores. I understand that the managers are no longer allowed to change them either. My managers were always pretty good at looking out for me in different situations but their hands are tied now. I'm soooo glad I'm not there anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 02:49 PM

11,043 posts, read 9,672,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Yes, Marino, I worked at Home Depot for 2 years but in my mid 50s after rehab and it wasn't for people who aren't willing to be physically challenged or follow orders. I don't actually admire the culture of HD.
I went through all of what you described. I had to wear steel toed shoes and being on my feet for 8 hours at first was painful but that went away after a few days. I was climbing ladders all day and packing boxes of merchandise down the ladder to stock the shelves.

I lost 10 lbs and was in the best shape of a life-time. However if you want to work part time and you are bored at home you will certainly not be bored working there. If you are retired and in pretty good shape the job can benefit you physically and you can learn new things everyday.

Anyone who works directly with the public will know how hard customers can be to deal with and also customers who compliment you. If you don't know something one day search for learning on the subject so you won't be caught another time. The more you learn on the job the better position you are in for favors.

Word to the wise: dumb down your resume a bit or you might have to host workshops to the public and demonstrate your trade.
And why is that a bad thing? It sounds like it beats climbing up and down those ladders.

I think for anyone in one of these type of PT jobs, if you want to work PT, you have to put your foot down right away when they start to make demands on you. Be willing to walk away from that job, or get taken advantage of. I tried to tell my friend that "if you give them an inch, they'll take a mile", and she found that out. Fortunately she wasn't desperate for the money, it was for non-essentials.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:50 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,543,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Yes, Marino, I worked at Home Depot for 2 years but in my mid 50s after rehab and it wasn't for people who aren't willing to be physically challenged or follow orders. I don't actually admire the culture of HD.
I went through all of what you described. I had to wear steel toed shoes and being on my feet for 8 hours at first was painful but that went away after a few days. I was climbing ladders all day and packing boxes of merchandise down the ladder to stock the shelves.

I lost 10 lbs and was in the best shape of a life-time. However if you want to work part time and you are bored at home you will certainly not be bored working there. If you are retired and in pretty good shape the job can benefit you physically and you can learn new things everyday.

Anyone who works directly with the public will know how hard customers can be to deal with and also customers who compliment you. If you don't know something one day search for learning on the subject so you won't be caught another time. The more you learn on the job the better position you are in for favors.

Word to the wise: dumb down your resume a bit or you might have to host workshops to the public and demonstrate your trade.

If I want to go somewhere where nobody will bother me, I go to a Home Depot. No employee ever asks a customer if they need help.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:38 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,819,436 times
I retired from a high-stress government job at age 54, after working 34 years full-time. Was burned out. Only 16 years of service was the government job so received a modest pension. Fortunate I know to get anything at all. For two years I did nothing other than have fun, lunch with friends, went on a cruise to Alaska. Then started to get bored. Started to drain some money from the IRA. Husband bought a 1969 Mustang (his 10th classic Mustang over 40 years) and decided I needed to earn money as to not drain retirement accounts. Husband has an illness so can't work anymore.

So I worked in a boutique about 16 hours a week. Paid to have fun! I let them talk me into being a part-time manager, big mistake! Suddenly had to work every Sunday, holidays etc. for $1.00 per hour more not worth it. 16 hours a week turned into 25 hours a week and my feet started to hurt from so much standing.

I am a person of faith and started praying for a part-time job with meaning and benefits. Saw an ad for a church ten miles away: 25 hours per week church Administrator, pension plan, paid holidays, two weeks paid vacation and two weeks paid sick leave. I applied as did over 300 other people. I got the job! Prayer works! Love the job, the people, the paid holidays, the paid vacation, and still saving for retirement through the pension plan! I am telling this story as one of the jobs listed was clergy. So no seminary (or seminary debt) but I find the job fulfilling, low stress and has benefits. I use the money to pay our medical insurance and medical bills, save as much as I can and we live off my pension and my husband's social security. The money I saved the prior 34 years of working we are not touching and letting it grow.

My point in writing this is retirement is a time to find your dream job if you want to. When I worked full-time I made 5x as much but I was a stressed out wreck. I felt very old at 54 and now feel very young at 58. Now I can afford to find a job with meaning and joy. The old saying..find a job you love and you never work a day in your life...finally came true for me! I just turned 58 and I can see myself doing this kind of work for many years. My prior job I felt like I is stayed one more year I would drop dead. If you want to work (and I know many are done and don't want to) but if you want to and want to avoid draining retirement assets find your passion and go for it!

Old 10-16-2018, 08:26 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,355,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
And why is that a bad thing? It sounds like it beats climbing up and down those ladders.

I think for anyone in one of these type of PT jobs, if you want to work PT, you have to put your foot down right away when they start to make demands on you. Be willing to walk away from that job, or get taken advantage of. I tried to tell my friend that "if you give them an inch, they'll take a mile", and she found that out. Fortunately she wasn't desperate for the money, it was for non-essentials.
The workshops you would host will be you building or wiring projects so that customers can do it on their own. You will have no help setting up and you will have to beg and borrow materials. But in addition to the workshops you still have to do your regular daily job at the same time and if you don't complete it that day you will get in trouble.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:42 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,058,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I paid for my own college but never used the education due to following a husband all over for HIS work and education. Had to work jobs that I could get and leave easy which meant not very good wages. That, in turn, meant a smallish SS payment. I sure hadn't planned on being single and alone at this age because of divorce but even widowed I would've been in the same position I suppose. I figure my biggest mistake was getting married in the first place. lol But, truly, I never expected him to just decide he didn't want to be married anymore. I've worked hard over the years to take care of myself, save what I could...and haven't done TOO bad, but it's been hard. What I'm hoping, at this point, is that I can afford to only work part time. I make 'fair' money these days, plus my SS and I can do alright but ONE biggie...ie health problems...could do me in. I've even thought about getting a room mate but that needs a LOT more thought. Anyway, I WILL survive and do okay. Just have to keep plugging!
Have you checked to see what you would get from his SS, if you were together for more than 10 years? It might be more than you are getting for yourself.

Old 10-19-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Have you checked to see what you would get from his SS, if you were together for more than 10 years? It might be more than you are getting for yourself.

My ex is much younger than me. I have no idea what his FRA is but probably close to 70. So, no, I can't collect on his. He isn't even old enough to apply for his yet.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:20 PM

17,490 posts, read 38,965,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
I retired from a high-stress government job at age 54, after working 34 years full-time. Was burned out. Only 16 years of service was the government job so received a modest pension. Fortunate I know to get anything at all. For two years I did nothing other than have fun, lunch with friends, went on a cruise to Alaska. Then started to get bored. Started to drain some money from the IRA. Husband bought a 1969 Mustang (his 10th classic Mustang over 40 years) and decided I needed to earn money as to not drain retirement accounts. Husband has an illness so can't work anymore.

So I worked in a boutique about 16 hours a week. Paid to have fun! I let them talk me into being a part-time manager, big mistake! Suddenly had to work every Sunday, holidays etc. for $1.00 per hour more not worth it. 16 hours a week turned into 25 hours a week and my feet started to hurt from so much standing.

I am a person of faith and started praying for a part-time job with meaning and benefits. Saw an ad for a church ten miles away: 25 hours per week church Administrator, pension plan, paid holidays, two weeks paid vacation and two weeks paid sick leave. I applied as did over 300 other people. I got the job! Prayer works! Love the job, the people, the paid holidays, the paid vacation, and still saving for retirement through the pension plan! I am telling this story as one of the jobs listed was clergy. So no seminary (or seminary debt) but I find the job fulfilling, low stress and has benefits. I use the money to pay our medical insurance and medical bills, save as much as I can and we live off my pension and my husband's social security. The money I saved the prior 34 years of working we are not touching and letting it grow.

My point in writing this is retirement is a time to find your dream job if you want to. When I worked full-time I made 5x as much but I was a stressed out wreck. I felt very old at 54 and now feel very young at 58. Now I can afford to find a job with meaning and joy. The old saying..find a job you love and you never work a day in your life...finally came true for me! I just turned 58 and I can see myself doing this kind of work for many years. My prior job I felt like I is stayed one more year I would drop dead. If you want to work (and I know many are done and don't want to) but if you want to and want to avoid draining retirement assets find your passion and go for it!
Congrats! I agree this can be a time for the "dream job." At 69 I am now just starting to fulfill my lifelong dream of being a paid gigging musician! I am a vocalist and keyboard player. I live in a small city with a large population of boomers my age, and many, many are musicians themselves and we all support each other. It's just never too late to do what you want to do!

Old 10-19-2018, 09:50 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,058,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
My ex is much younger than me. I have no idea what his FRA is but probably close to 70. So, no, I can't collect on his. He isn't even old enough to apply for his yet.
You should check with SS to see when you might be able to start collecting it. Might be worth a bit more than you are getting now. They might even be able to give you an estimate based on what earnings he has made. All you would need is his SS#.

I just checked the SS website:
"Your ex-spouse does not have to file for their own Social Security benefits for you to be eligible to receive a benefit based on their record, but they have to be eligible for those benefits. This means they must have worked enough to be eligible for Social Security and they must be at least age 62, which is the earliest age you become eligible for Social Security retirement benefits."
As long as he is 62, you can possibly get more from SS. You do have to have been married for ten years or more though.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
You should check with SS to see when you might be able to start collecting it. Might be worth a bit more than you are getting now. They might even be able to give you an estimate based on what earnings he has made. All you would need is his SS#.

I just checked the SS website:
"Your ex-spouse does not have to file for their own Social Security benefits for you to be eligible to receive a benefit based on their record, but they have to be eligible for those benefits. This means they must have worked enough to be eligible for Social Security and they must be at least age 62, which is the earliest age you become eligible for Social Security retirement benefits."
As long as he is 62, you can possibly get more from SS. You do have to have been married for ten years or more though.

I knew this and he isn't. We were married 15 years. He won't be 62 for two more years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement