Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 11:02 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
And even if they can afford the expense, will they be able to actually find someone who’s willing to do the work? A recurring topic of conversation in both the House and the Real Estate forums is the increasing difficulty of finding tradesmen who are actually willing to take on small projects (even if those small projects involve equipment or expertise that the typical general handyman doesn’t possess).
I think this may be location sensitive. Maybe more of a problem for rural folks. I know that because of the hurricane Florence, many handymen/construction types will be working at the coast and not up here in Western NC. That could be a problem for some. Our handyman has a full time job here and helps us on the side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 11:56 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
We have whole house via our utility company.

I have a whole house surge protector from the utility company too. But they say not to rely just on that for sensitive equipment.

They gave me a couple more surge protectors for computer, etc. I'm wondering how to know when the small surge protectors are no longer good??

Old 09-29-2018, 12:00 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
I have a whole house surge protector from the utility company too. But they say not to rely just on that for sensitive equipment.

They gave me a couple more surge protectors for computer, etc. I'm wondering how to know when the small surge protectors are no longer good??
I use individual ones also and can change with new ones ever couple of years just because technology improves

Old 09-29-2018, 12:02 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
And even if they can afford the expense, will they be able to actually find someone who’s willing to do the work? A recurring topic of conversation in both the House and the Real Estate forums is the increasing difficulty of finding tradesmen who are actually willing to take on small projects (even if those small projects involve equipment or expertise that the typical general handyman doesn’t possess).
In some areas those tradesmen have been deported thus creating a labor shortage.

Old 09-29-2018, 12:09 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,249 times
We have an email group called Ollie Talk. It is from our local Olli UNC Asheville. Many topics are discussed, and very often handyman/repair person topics. People give and get good recommendations. Also Our Nextdoor community seems to be a reliable resource for recommendations. There are subscription clearinghouses like Angie’s List. But I suspect the ratings might be influenced more by the business owners, and than by the users.

Old 09-29-2018, 12:24 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,502,785 times
I think because the OP is an electrician he thinks about lightbulbs - most people do not want to spend the money to have some guy come in their home and change lightbulbs and those LED lights do not usually last 10 years like they say they do.

I am in my 50s and would never buy a two-story house - I plan ahead for the future - I want to be able to age in place when I cannot walk up stairs safely anymore or worse. I also like a house with a garage attached to the kitchen so I do not have to drag groceries a long way or up steps - yes - I know you can have grocers delivered - but that cost more money.

Old 09-29-2018, 12:37 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Uh, chandeliers are one thing, but I call BS on "She will have to hire someone with same ladders just to change light bulbs, etc."

I regularly changed out lamps in fixtures 30' or higher in movie theatres while standing on the floor. Lamp Changer Poles

Generally if someone has the $$$ to buy a showplace, money isn't an issue unless you are a tradesman waiting to get paid.

That works fine if the lights point downward. The foyer in my last house was over 18 feet high and the chandelier had upward facing mini bulbs. I just hooked it from the stairwell and changed the bulbs that way.

Old 09-29-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Yeah i see on tv these people building/buying homes with 2 story foryers, two story great room ceilings etc, and i said from the very get go, " theyll regret that when they need to change a lightbulb or paint it ".

LED bulbs do last a long time, and will minimize the need to change it often, but even that will eventually wear out with use.

And paint? Ugh.

Nope, not me.

We will ve retiring to an area where most you seem to see is a 10' or possibly 12' tray ceiling in a single stiry homes. A 10' light can be reached with 8' ladder easily enough.

I second tye motion to use floor and table lamps instead of the high overhead lighting, and with LEDs becoming the norm, they should definitely be used for longer life.ive got a green LED bulb in a lamp in the LR that is always on, 24/7 as a night light in a table lamp in a remote but reachable corner. Been burning now for 2.5 years constantly. Another one in the bonus room, not quite as long.

Things often " look beautiful/pretty" on paper and "spectacular" in person, but can be nightmares to maintain.

Not me.

My winter house has 10 foot ceilings and I just use an eight foot ladder to replace the bulbs. No big deal for me. Those six can lights in the kitchen are much brighter than anything else I could do, so why not use them.

Old 09-29-2018, 01:20 PM

3,954 posts, read 2,573,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Actually, the stairs are good for her muscle mass, assuming she doesn't have anything especially wrong with her joints.
Ten years ago I was having difficulty walking up stairs. I was working at a Childcare Center and we sometimes took a field trip where I'd face stairs in a building & I felt like I could hardly navigate them. It was a bit embarrassing.

Then, I lived in an apartment with about 15 stairs (outdoors, concrete) for six years. Now, for last 3 years I have lived in apt with 14 indoor steps.

I'm not super fast but I can climb the stairs now! Thanks to twice daily (sometimes more) walking up and down my stairs. LoL

Old 09-29-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Fluorescent bulbs don't "like" to be turned on for periods less than about 15 minutes. If you turn them on, let them burn at least 15 minutes. When you need to replace them, you can get LED bulbs that fit garage type fluorescent fixtures.

I don't care what my fluorescent bulbs "like" or don't "like". When I go out to the garage for two minutes, that's all the burn time they're getting. I've never had a problem yet. I'm not going to time my burn time every time I go out to the garage. That's a total waste of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement