Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 03:28 PM

558 posts, read 433,648 times

Advertisements

My husband is 10 years older than I am and retired. I am almost 64 and still working.

We won't sell one of our two cars, but I can see us not replacing whichever one dies first. Even while I work, DH uses his car very little. He mostly goes to doctor's appointments, and I've been trying to go to those as much as possible because he doesn't hear well. He'll go to the grocery store or pharmacy occasionally, but that's about it. His health simply isn't good enough for exercise, volunteering, etc. What we do for fun, we do together.

Put it this way: I have a 2006 Corolla bought brand new that has 115,000 miles after 12 years. He has a 2007 BMW 3-series bought used with about 85,000 miles after 11 years.

We aren't exactly tearing the roads up. We don't have mass transit. If we did, I would have no car. I don't like driving that much.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 07:18 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,026,013 times
When my 10 year old van became difficult to repair we decided to try functioning with one car. Surprisingly after 40 years together with 2 cars now that we're retired one car is not a problem. What you need is a really good calendar with you at all times so you don't double book anything like doctors, meetings, etc.

He does his things mostly in the AM while I get my stuff done at home and then I'm out in the afternoons while he's at home doing his stuff.

We talk vaguely about getting another van but can't decide which one. I used mine to transport art to shows and for plywood from Home Depot. But renting a van is under $100 couple times a year as needed. Probably save over $5k a year not having a second vehicle, counting amortizing purchase over 10 years, insurance, maintenance, etc. Hmmm what could I spend that on???

Old 10-03-2018, 08:04 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,188,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Neighbors across the street sold both their cars and went with one. Haven't asked them why.

For my own situation, and one that might work for others, I have a Vespa scooter for my "second car". It is one of the larger displacement models that is freeway-legal, (have had it up to 84 mph, at which time the governor kicked in limiting me from going faster). Its totally seasonal, but a kick to ride and rarely do I stop someplace without getting comments, (there are very few scooters, and especially Vespas where I live). Can carry a lot too, with the front and rear racks and "bag hooks" above the floorboard between my legs.
Nice!!! I have a Honda Forza for my favorite vehicle, and a Tacoma truck for hauling. And we haul a lot. Wife has a small Chevy Sonic that we use for 'us' traveling unless we are picking up construction supplies, then we have no other choice than the truck. But for me, IT'S THE SCOOT!! Love riding these things, and would be on it all year long if it weren't for the snow (and even ride it then, sometimes).
Stay Safe!!

Old 10-03-2018, 08:15 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,188,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
We also go many places together, but we also have independent interests and there is zero public transport around here.

Starting out by saying....everyone's retirement is different, including their hobbies, so I don't expect many to understand or be in this same "place". We have a classic vintage vehicle, that gets little use except for car shows and car club events (once a month or so). Insurance on that is dirt cheap through a special agency that just covers vintage cars, and because it gets driven only a couple hundred miles a year. DH has been talking about selling it, but since he's owned it over 40 years...I'll believe that when I see it. I put no pressure on him in that way. That car is part of his identity. Working on and maintaining cars and MC's has always been a form of recreation and relaxation for DH, and that is also just part of who he is.

I have my everyday car, DH has his, and we also have our trail bikes (small, vintage motorcycles) for when we go camping, and just for fun putting around the village. We also have our street bikes, but I haven't been riding much lately, so DH has been riding mine. I think we'll sell his soon...it's vintage, and not as fun or easy to ride. Just another thing to maintain. If he ever loses his confidence in his skills to ride, we'll sell my street bike too, but it's just really reliable and super easy to ride and maintain, and he's been riding since he was 16. We've discussed it, he even brought it up himself, and he is a very cautious guy, so I have faith in his judgement.

The vintage vehicles (1 car, 3 MC's) have a permanent tag, so we don't pay registration on them anymore (thank you Tennessee), and motorcycle insurance is super cheap (less than a Starbuck's coffee once a month per bike). That leaves three vehicles to tag annually (two cars, one MC) and that's about $29 each (thank you again TN!), and only two (our main cars) that cost much in insurance. Eventually we will be down to two cars, and the two trail bikes, but I think that's as low as it goes.

And before anyone says "bragging", let me assure you that the total annual cost to maintain, tag, and insure all of these vehicles together is less than a one week trip for two to the Florida. We have no kids or grands to visit or spend money on. And except for my newest car, we have owned all of them for over 16 years. It's just been a lifelong hobby, and we keep stuff forever!
Delighted to see some mc riders here. I sure didn't read that as bragging at all; lifestyles require some tools that are mandatory to keep ones mental outlook sharp. The only downside with mc's is that now my wife wants one. We may become a two scoot family before too long. I have owned 24 regular motorcycles over the years, and fell in love the the modern Continuously Variable Transmissions (CVTs) that are on the scoots nowadays, so I have become 'one of the shiftless' you always hear about in retirement .

Now it's just grab a camera, grab a handle, and off we go!!

Old 10-03-2018, 10:18 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,689,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
We also go many places together, but we also have independent interests and there is zero public transport around here.

..........SNIP........

And before anyone says "bragging", let me assure you that the total annual cost to maintain, tag, and insure all of these vehicles together is less than a one week trip for two to the Florida. We have no kids or grands to visit or spend money on. And except for my newest car, we have owned all of them for over 16 years. It's just been a lifelong hobby, and we keep stuff forever!
I consider it one of your interests, not bragging. And you are correct that keeping old, paid-for vehicles does not have to cost much, certainly less than expensive vacations. Our three vehicles range from 13 years to 22 years in age and from 92k miles to more than 155k miles. We are soon buying a new one, but we are also selling one of the old cars. I also have four bicycles purchased from 1979 to 2000. When I find the right item, I tend to keep it a long time.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:38 AM

6,623 posts, read 7,333,260 times
Have two cars but and probably 100% of the time one car is in the garage. However we do have a golf cart and a car and the golf cart will be in use at the same time.

Depends where you live and what public transportation is needed but it is probably cheaper to hire a car if you really have a need than own one for the year.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:38 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,159 times
We have had one car for our entire 21-year relationship and now have two only because we got a new car and kept the old one because it was 11 years old. We'll keep it until it dies an then go back to one. We live in a city with excellent public transit, in a neighborhood where everything is within walking distance, and there is always Uber and Lyft. I walk to work mostly, and it's liberating not to always be car-dependent. At some point in the future, we won't be able to drive anymore, but we won't have to move because all the amenities are right here.

Old 10-03-2018, 03:23 PM

139 posts, read 155,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Have two cars but and probably 100% of the time one car is in the garage. However we do have a golf cart and a car and the golf cart will be in use at the same time.

Depends where you live and what public transportation is needed but it is probably cheaper to hire a car if you really have a need than own one for the year.
Where we plan on moving not much public transportation but that's ok. Maybe will look for a cheap beater car or pick-up to bring stuff to the dump. Still a year or so away.

Old 10-03-2018, 03:25 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,537,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I can't imagine only having one car. My DH and I are both busier with social activities, classes, etc. than when we were both working and had set schedules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
We live in a rural area. I will never give up my car, keeping them both.
This is and will be the case for us. Uber could work I suppose, I don’t know couples in our rural/small town area who only have one car.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:11 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,484,975 times
Hey, one person has a company car, another persons car has lots of company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement