Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 07:31 AM

11,171 posts, read 15,966,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammocks Bum View Post
Retired in 2011 at 62, never looked back, never had to look for a P/T job and I refuse to Volunteer and or Mentor people.

I stay plenty bz and I am truly a Happy Camper.
What a wonderful philosophy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 08:19 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,779,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
Retired finance guy. Buying rental properties for something to do all day is an option. Spend all day on Excel, let’s do this.

I could be the next Trump. How hard can it be?

I know a lot of people look forward to, and enjoy their retirement...…….not me. I retired twice, once for 3 years, once for a year and a half. Hated it. Found my sharpness slipping away, was getting little exercise, and was sleeping later and later all the time.

So, I went back to work 5 years ago, feel better, have more money to waste and am using my brain to solve problems all day. Right now I am off work until some surgery heals, but I can not wait to go back again.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:38 AM

7,023 posts, read 6,257,151 times
I used to get bored during the long winter months of Minnesota but since I moved to Arizona just looking at the mountains thrills me and makes me happy.

I think it was the length of winter and the dark, dreary days.

I'm a reader and always looked forward to finally having the time to read as much as I wanted. For me, reading is never boring.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:50 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I know a lot of people look forward to, and enjoy their retirement...…….not me. I retired twice, once for 3 years, once for a year and a half. Hated it. Found my sharpness slipping away, was getting little exercise, and was sleeping later and later all the time.

So, I went back to work 5 years ago, feel better, have more money to waste and am using my brain to solve problems all day. Right now I am off work until some surgery heals, but I can not wait to go back again.
That's great! I too liked work, it was challenging, and for the largest part, enjoyable. I am glad people have that attitude- it really helps their other co-workers, too. I never enjoyed work when I was surrounded by people that hated their jobs, and exited those situations quickly.

Old 10-02-2018, 10:47 AM

11,046 posts, read 9,686,505 times
If you need mental stimulation in retirement, there are many colleges that offer people the opportunity to audit courses. Take a course in something you find stimulating that maybe you just never had time for, or you felt that it wouldn't benefit your work life, so you couldn't expend the time, money and energy. What fascinates you? Study that. We have a community college here where professors and other professionals teach courses in what is called continued learning. They have short courses in the areas of Art and Culture, Computer, Finance, History,Language, Literature, Medicine and Health, Music, Philosophy, Religion, Science and Technology, Social Studies and Economics. Literally every thing from basket weaving, to the history of automobiles, to conversational Russian, and Astronomy. Some people even become instructors for their own area of expertise.

You don't even have to go to formalized education to learn. There are millions of books on-line, tons of on-line education resources. Perhaps a class will trigger an interest that turns into activity that will take up some of your time.

Have you never had an interest in any skill with your hands? A new hobby like woodworking, design, etc can become both a mental exercise and a source of pride as you develop your skills.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:

Wait, what?

You found yourself sleeping later and later and your "solution" to that problem was to get a job rather than to simply purchase an alarm clock?

Perhaps you were right and you did need a job due to your sharpness slipping away. (j/k)

Old 10-02-2018, 11:44 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,023,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
what did everyone's Mom say when the kids complained "We're bored!"

"Only boring people get bored." Either that, or she would find chores for you to do. Then you got un-bored real quick.
This!!!

Old 10-02-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Wait, what?

You found yourself sleeping later and later and your "solution" to that problem was to get a job rather than to simply purchase an alarm clock?

Perhaps you were right and you did need a job due to your sharpness slipping away. (j/k)

I am not surprised, but you missed the point altogether. Has nothing to do with owning an alarm clock, I have them. It has everything to do with my life becoming more and more unstructured. There was no reason for me to get out of bed earlier, nowhere in particular for me to be, no one in particular expecting me to be somewhere. So, I found myself delaying getting out of bed more and more.

I also got tired of playing with my toys. I would go to my shop, tinker with one of my cars, and then pack it in and head home for a nap. Retirement was not good for my physical or mental health in any way whatsoever.

Some people love retirement, great. But for some of us, the joy wears off after a while and we want to return to some normalcy and being productive again. As much as you might doubt it, some of us actually like our jobs and interacting with other people all day. I also now really look forward to my 2 days off, they have become special to me once again.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Quote:
I am not surprised, but you missed the point altogether.
Oh, I didn't miss the point, but you apparently missed the j/k at the end of my post.

Perhaps you were correct to go back to being told what to do and when to do it five days a week in order to keep your mind sharp. (And this time I'm not j/k.)

Old 10-02-2018, 01:30 PM

Sorry if I misinterpreted you post, but those abbreviations , like j/k are over my head. That is the trouble with posts on the internet, you are not able to see the person actually saying the words, so you sometimes misunderstand what they meant.

Again, please accept my apologies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement