Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 08:10 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,713,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Not before you read the 1-star reviews in Amazon, especially the recent ones-- every method he advocates is either no longer available at all (such as using helium-- nobody sells 100% helium any more), or require drugs unavailable in the States. I see that a number of people have blithely offered that there are lots of ways to kill yourself, but I doubt they've really looked into it. That's the internet; it offers freedom of speech for whatever ignorant things people want to say.

Which leads to my larger point. I don't doubt that the trauma of having a loved one kill him- or herself is increased by finding the body after suicide by gun. However, I think those of you who are upset at the suicidal person killing themselves so that family members will find them overestimate the levelheadedness of that person at that time. They don't have to be insane at the time, just sufficiently despairing that suicide seems like the best option.

And yes, it can seem like to the best option to a rational person in a sufficiently dire situation. In a sense, suicide is a selfish decision in that it doesn't take the feelings of others into sufficient account to not commit suicide-- but is that, by itself, enough reason to prolong a life the person doesn't want any more? I believe there's no one-size-fits-all answer to a problem with so many variables.
Can you suggest a more up to date book?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 08:11 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,713,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
We had a family dentist who, after retirement, went out hunting alone and "had an accident" crossing a fence. I imagine he had his life insurance for his family in mind. So there's that, too.

I lost a friend and workmate who lived alone with her mother who drove out to a quiet spot by the lake.

It must leave a terrible emotional burden on those left behind but I suppose there is that rationalization that one is leaving the mess to professionals hired to do the job. And it leaves its toll on them, also.
I know one fellow that gunned himself in the backyard so they could just hose the area clean.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:57 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,642,788 times
"Wherever you go, there you are."

There is no escape.

Please spare people from being traumatized by your actions.

Old 03-30-2019, 10:47 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,671,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Can you suggest a more up to date book?
Go to https://exitinternational.net/ and subscribe to The Peaceful Pill Handbook.

Old 03-30-2019, 12:13 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,628,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
It's hard to believe that some people actually expect a person, who's in such pain and despair that their survival instinct no longer even works, to be considerate about not making a mess.
Or, worse than that, they are expected to keep on living a miserable life just so others won't be traumatized.

My family member used a shotgun in the backyard---cognizant of a "mess", and being out of sight.

I've often thought falling off a very high cliff would be a sure thing, and look accidental.

Last edited by Sand&Salt; 03-30-2019 at 12:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement