Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 07:42 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,286 times

Advertisements

This topic brings me back to when we first moved to CT. A popular place for trick or treating was the homes around the town green--the people who live there give out the best candy! When kid #2 was 2 or 3 we took her and her big sister out for her first Halloween. The first place we stopped was the local bed & breakfast. The owners ushered us in and the dining table was filled with all kinds of goodies. However, Kid #2 started to cry because she thought we were going to leave her there!! Once we explained that she was going to get treats she was all smiles!

One year the occupants of one of the houses took polaroids of each bunch of trick or treaters that came to the door. The following year they had all of the pictures they had taken the previous year on a big board. Those kids who came back the next year for Halloween got to take their pictures home!

I LOVE Halloween and I could spend a FORTUNE on decorating but I don't because IT'S JUST MORE STUFF I have to deal with
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 08:07 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
I'd like to give out candy but make clear it's only for kids 18 and under. I get tired of hoardes of adult trick or treaters taking all the candy, with nothing left for the kids.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:34 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Can you imagine if there had never been a Halloween and someone proposed it.

The event would include kids wandering around neighborhoods at night asking for treats such as candy and threatening tricks if they did not get any. They would cover their faces with masks so they could do mischief without being held accountable. Of course they would also be at risk due to some crazy individual spiking the treats with sharp objects or poison. The event would also include depictions of real and imaginary terrors such as ghouls, ghosts, zombies and the like designed to scare small children. Toss in a few drunk adults returning from parties and trying not to hit the kids playing in the dark streets.

It is way, way past time to retire this holiday or perhaps substitute it with another more sane harvest time celebration.
Did you have something like a purge in mind? Not sure how it works but I understand it has been talked about for a few years now and has even been I believe the topic of a couple of documentaries or something.
Seems like it is popular with younger people so that might be plus in getting it started.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:36 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,250,973 times
In 46 years, never had a trick-or-treater. I thought that trick-or-treating was abandoned in favor of having Halloween parties at one of the kid's houses.

One of the benefits of semi-rural living is not having this aggravation. Or maybe the kiddos are just afraid of visiting the crazy old ***tard up on the hill.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:40 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
We lived on a steep hill in an older neighborhood for 20 years, only got trick or treaters a couple times. Then we moved out to the country, and never got any. This year, we plan to be on the road. I don't expect kids to come to my hotel room.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:48 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
We lived on a steep hill in an older neighborhood for 20 years, only got trick or treaters a couple times. Then we moved out to the country, and never got any. This year, we plan to be on the road. I don't expect kids to come to my hotel room.
If the do the police might come to talk to you the next day.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:51 PM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
Like OP stated, we used to have quite a lot when we first moved in, some 15+ years ago. Most of the trick or treating has added curfews and many either do the "trunk or treat" or guess not at all. For those not familiar with the trunk or treats. Cars that have trunks go to the local church parking lots, open their trunks to their vehicles, and guessing that they have either dumped all of their candies in the trunk, mixing them up, or just leave the bags in the cars. The kids then go, car to car within that church parking lot.

We still buy the bags of candy. Most of what we like too, but have had disappointing years with so few kids showing up. I used to bring the left over bags into work to share. Now that we are both retired, we don't need nor want extra bags of candy tempting us to over indulge. During the "scheduled" (local police dept sets time period) hours, we could get anywhere from 3 - 25 kids. Either one of us will answer the door with the bowl full of mixed candies. During that, we'll probably be watching a scary Halloween type movie/ tv show.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:03 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Do you find trick or treaters fun or a bother? What will you be doing on Halloween?

It's neither fun or a bother. It's just part of life. In our 55+ winter home in Arizona, no one ever comes to the door. In our Alaska house, we're in a gated community, so not too many trick or treaters. Mostly the kids who live there. In our last year in our pre-retirement home we had 169 trick or treaters. We actually kept score!

Old 10-13-2018, 09:31 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
I'm a bit bah-humbug about Halloween. It's all junk food (no, I won't be the killjoy who passes out little packs of spicy dried garbanzo beans). Then there are the couples who come around with a 6-month old in a Halloween costume and collect candy. Umm, your baby gonna eat all that? My neighborhood has fancier houses than the surrounding areas so we get a lot of kids coming in driven by their parents in cars.

But I do hand out candy. It's only one night a year.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:34 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Can you imagine if there had never been a Halloween and someone proposed it.

The event would include kids wandering around neighborhoods at night asking for treats such as candy and threatening tricks if they did not get any. They would cover their faces with masks so they could do mischief without being held accountable. Of course they would also be at risk due to some crazy individual spiking the treats with sharp objects or poison. The event would also include depictions of real and imaginary terrors such as ghouls, ghosts, zombies and the like designed to scare small children. Toss in a few drunk adults returning from parties and trying not to hit the kids playing in the dark streets.

It is way, way past time to retire this holiday or perhaps substitute it with another more sane harvest time celebration.

Kids love Halloween. As adults we tend to forget just how exciting it was to dress up and trick or treat. Besides, where I grew up, tricks were the night before and not as a result of not getting candy. We called it Goosey Night, which is a name that will be recognized only by people who grew up very close to where I did (she said mysteriously). I actually even soaped a few car windows in my day. The "bad kids" threw eggs...that was pretty much the extent of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement