U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 10:37 AM

72 posts, read 25,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
One fun thing about living next to colonial Williamsburg is the kids can trick or treat in the colonial area. "Colonial halloween" is pretty cool looking, and CW goes out of their way to put up decorations and lots of interestingly carved pumpkins. The horses are painted to look like skeleton horses (very cool looking, and the horses love it. The paint feels good to them.) The kids can go in and out of the restored buildings and get candy from the re-enactors, who have appropriately somewhat-ghoulish-yet-colonial makeup. Meanwhile the adults have a costume ball in the governor's palace. They only do this for a few hours, and then the town returns to it's normal routine--but for those few hours it's awesome.
Thanks for this post. Youíve made me look at the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 10:43 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,387,859 times
We did the trick and treat thing for years when we owned a single family home and were raising our daughter. When she was grown and moved away we stopped. Nowadays we live in a gated condo community. No one can even get on the property without an electronic key especially on Halloween and that suits us just fine. And there are hardly any kids here. The ones who live here go elsewhere to trick and treat.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:50 AM

14,407 posts, read 7,929,570 times
We have a 1911 Four Square that looks amazing decorated for Halloween. It kills me every year but I do it anyway for the kids, friends, and neighbors. I'll be out there freezing my tush off this afternoon putting the finishing touches on the porch. I worked on it for five hours already. The neighborhood is grateful and I have a fan club that drives by regularly to see the progress.

I went to Hells Gate haunted house last night with my three boys that grew up across the street. One is nearly twenty two, one is eighteen, and one is seventeen. They were always with me from diapers on, and they have so many fond memories of Halloween at our house after trick or treating. I think it's an honor that they still want to return to see the house every year. Two are away at college now, and one came to the party last year with his friend.

Some day when they have shorties of their own I hope to pass the torch. The older one said that he wants to name one of his daughters after me. I told him that I was going to cry She will have to love Halloween as much as I and her father and I do. When I mark them, I mark them good.

I will be decorating for Halloween and having as small of a party as I can get away with for my friends and neighbors until I just can't physically do it anymore. I love seeing the happy look on our many trick or treaters. Yep even the scaredy cats too. The house is pretty spooky.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:00 PM

12,705 posts, read 14,085,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Do you find trick or treaters fun or a bother? What will you be doing on Halloween?
Lived in a small town as a child, and we went out on our own and had a wonderful time collecting treats.

As an adult I lived in a metro area where it wasn't done, and now I live in a country where Halloween isn't celebrated at all....so I haven't had to "pay back", so to speak.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:18 PM

6,582 posts, read 3,670,806 times
Since I moved here 5 years ago I've not had any kids on Halloween but we have been mostly retirees on my street and pretty dispersed...kids gotta walk pretty far for little return on the effort. This year we have 2 new families with kids so I'll buy a little candy just in case. We have coyotes and such roaming around at night even in my yard so I don't expect them to be out late. A little kid in a bunny suit would look like dinner.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:00 PM

11,936 posts, read 20,396,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceswithBeagles View Post
Thanks for this post. Youíve made me look at the area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Our old neighborhood started having this problem, too. We didn't even have a show house with a display drawing the crowds, our street apparently just had a rep as a place to get free candy.

It was great fun for about a decade, then people started driving van loads of kids from other communities. Sometimes from communities in completely different parts of town. Often teens who really didn't have a costume, and were prone to grabbing handfuls of candy and indulging in petty vandalism. It was getting out of control and a big annoyance. Meanwhile, we had fewer and fewer kids in our neighborhood, so we didn't even have the same fun of seeing neighborhood kids in their costumes.

The worst was you had to stick around until they decide not to show up anymore. When you have carloads of kids coming from other parts of town, they sometimes arrive later than the neighborhood kids. And god help you if a carload of kids drove a long way to get to your street and then they don't get their candy.

Trunk or treat solves all these problems.
I would do trunk or treat! Sounds fun.

But around here, it seems the kids go door to door on the main streets at businesses and retails. And all the malls host.

Frankly, if I were a parent? Thatís probably what I would do. You donít have to worry about traffic.

And if I were a retailer? I not only would have some good treats, Iíd do little goody bags, with pencils and crayons and coloring books with my retail name, and little freebie goody bags for the adults.

It sounds kind of goofy, but we had a lighting company that was huge on useful gifties, and we loved going in there. I still have and use the wee little flathead screwdriver all the time. Their pens were the best ergonomic pens, the stupid cap light I really thought was goofy? My husband carries that with him and uses it constantly, because he often needs bright light in dark areas and is using both hands so canít carry a flashlight.

Itís all marketing. Itís a write off, and well worth it. We used to spend 10K a year at that lighting place, and when Tom retired and sold the business, the new manager was a nasty little jerk, talked bad about Tom, treated us like dirt, and I take my 10K somewhere else.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:04 PM

1,318 posts, read 835,915 times
Our little town started Trunk or Treat 2 years ago, and they're still asking the residents to participate. We did have a few more who decorated their vehicles than the previous year. I crocheted a giant spider web and strung it across my trunk.

There are a lot of kids who show up, and I've enjoyed participating immensely. Last year I bought candy and bubble gum eyeballs. I asked the kids, "Would you eat an eyeball?" I found their responses varied and were amusing.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:19 PM

1,251 posts, read 592,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Wow, I didn't even know there was such a rule. Is it really a thing? (if so, great!)

Honestly if someone were to ask me which holiday I dislike the most, I'd say "I hate Halloween" with no hesitation.

I used to make costumes for my son when he was in grade school, because he always wanted to be somebody for whom there was NO ready-made costume on the market. For example, Gambit from the X-Men one year, and Mr. Mistoffelees from Cats another. Or he'd want something more generic but the readymade ones all looked like garbage. Because the ones I made were pretty elaborate we'd go to the local photographer for a picture when they were done. When he was 3 years old he wanted to be Luke Skywalker (that was an easy costume to make but a working lightsaber was kind of a challenge) but insisted that I be in the picture as Princess Leia. That was the only time since grade school that I've ever worn a costume. (Carrie Fisher had zero worries about competition from me, LOL)
Omigosh, DO NOT be the house with lights on that isn't answering the door and handing out candy! Yes, kids are only supposed to go to the houses with the porch light on. It has always been that way, as far back as I can remember. The porch light off has never attracted retailiatory mischief anywhere I have lived. The kids just know to go on to the next house.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:22 PM

1,251 posts, read 592,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Wow, I didn't even know there was such a rule. Is it really a thing? (if so, great!)

Honestly if someone were to ask me which holiday I dislike the most, I'd say "I hate Halloween" with no hesitation.

I used to make costumes for my son when he was in grade school, because he always wanted to be somebody for whom there was NO ready-made costume on the market. For example, Gambit from the X-Men one year, and Mr. Mistoffelees from Cats another. Or he'd want something more generic but the readymade ones all looked like garbage. Because the ones I made were pretty elaborate we'd go to the local photographer for a picture when they were done. When he was 3 years old he wanted to be Luke Skywalker (that was an easy costume to make but a working lightsaber was kind of a challenge) but insisted that I be in the picture as Princess Leia. That was the only time since grade school that I've ever worn a costume. (Carrie Fisher had zero worries about competition from me, LOL)
I always handmade my daughter's costumes. She is now 33 and hand makes costumes that she wears on Halloween to her office. She works for a pet supply company where they can take their dogs to work, so her dog gets a coordinating costume. It is always especially rewarding to see the kids carry on a tradition from their childhood.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:42 PM

593 posts, read 858,714 times
I live in a townhouse with a split entry. My front door has a staircase outside with seven steps and inside it is 4 steps up from my living room. If I give out candy I pretty much have to sit on the stairs going up to bedrooms to get to them without waiting. That is ok for an hour or even two but I get tired pretty quickly.
Some years I stay home. Last year I drove out to another town to find a restaurant I wanted to try. Stayed out way later then I wanted to so maybe this year I will stay home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement