U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 04:46 PM

3,994 posts, read 2,052,015 times

Advertisements

I don't know how trick or treating is handled in my new neighborhood. My old location really had no street lights, so we didn't get the kids coming through, plus the houses were farther apart. The lots here are much smaller, and there are street lights, but there are also a lot of much older people who I imagine don't answer the door for kids. There is one family that has a Halloween display up; they leave it on all night (which I enjoy). They seem younger than the neighborhood average and have a child, so I guess they'll hand out candy. I do have a front porch, but I'm not going to sit out there if it's cold, and I'm not running in and out from inside chancing letting the cats if they doorbell rings. Maybe I'll put a bowl of candy on the steps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 06:26 PM

6,343 posts, read 3,596,178 times
Yes, the cats. They always freak out on Halloween and I've been careful to keep them indoors for safety's sake.

I finished my little "Lonesome Molly."

Old 10-15-2018, 07:01 PM

2,485 posts, read 1,083,100 times
I forgot to mention, as a recent widow, Halloween is the only holiday that doesn't have sad memories for me. Lodestar, that is the coolest thing ever - wish I had one on my doorstep!!

Old 10-15-2018, 07:40 PM

1,280 posts, read 600,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Yes, the cats. They always freak out on Halloween and I've been careful to keep them indoors for safety's sake.

I finished my little "Lonesome Molly."
Good job on Lonesome Molly!!

Old 10-16-2018, 08:23 AM

6,343 posts, read 3,596,178 times
Go to the Sal and get the clothing and wig. The arms are salad tongs from the dollar store. The body is plastic bags, newspaper and duct tape. Total cost about $9.00.

Glad you like her.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:36 PM

56,266 posts, read 54,712,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
A perfect example of letting the punishment fit the crime.
It was! They laughed, too.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:15 AM

1,137 posts, read 572,138 times
here's what flew in here...
Attached Thumbnails
Retirees and Trick or Treat-smwitch.jpg  

Old 10-18-2018, 05:30 AM

1,280 posts, read 600,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Go to the Sal and get the clothing and wig. The arms are salad tongs from the dollar store. The body is plastic bags, newspaper and duct tape. Total cost about $9.00.

Glad you like her.
I happened to be in the Dollar Store yesterday and spied those skeleton hand salad tongs. I bought a pair. Just slide the ends under something, like an interior closet door, and it looks like a skeleton trying to escape. I have them "holding" a chalkboard sign with a Halloween message on it. Cute little prop for a buck and I never would have even taken notice of them if you hadn't mentioned them!

Old 10-18-2018, 03:57 PM

5,974 posts, read 5,324,230 times
I loved Halloween when I was a kid and I always gave out candy as an adult when I lived in a neighborhood that had it.

I see several mentioned safety. It is safer today than in the past. We didn't have 24 hour news stations that tell us about a murder or kidnapping 2000 miles away. Before things were reported locally. You had to kill 8 nurses or a movie star and her friends to make the national news.

The guy down the street owned a Coca Cola bottling plant and he always gave us kids Coke. We never missed his house.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:33 PM
JRR

3,687 posts, read 2,234,391 times
Walmart had the Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies on sale so I went over and stocked up yesterday. Got 36 boxes of 12 so I should be good to go on Halloween.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement