Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 12:49 PM

233 posts, read 306,095 times

Advertisements

Hi folks. I had been on disability but recently got a job. I'm 62 and change almost 63 and when I told Social Security about my new job, well now I'm not going to get the disability I had been getting for awhile and that's fine, I was geared for that. But once I stop getting those benefits, I can have the option of filing for retirement, but it's not going to be the full retirement age.
They sure ding you for that.
I for one feel it's not fair because why wait until you're so old you cant even enjoy the benefits you get!
So with that said, anyone here file for retirement early?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 12:52 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,421,766 times
My plan is to retire at 62 and apply for SSN at 63. I am currently 54 and if I end up getting a promotion between 59 and 61 - then I will push retirement back by 3 years for my high 3 years of salary - so say I get a promotion at 61 I will work until 64.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:56 PM

233 posts, read 306,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by House4kids View Post
My plan is to retire at 62 and apply for SSN at 63. I am currently 54 and if I end up getting a promotion between 59 and 61 - then I will push retirement back by 3 years for my high 3 years of salary - so say I get a promotion at 61 I will work until 64.
after considering all of the options my plan is to just keep working and put off retiring since I don't want it to get cut so much.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:12 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
SS pays you for life. If you start collecting before full retirement age you do not pay in what others do and you would be collecting more if you got the FRA benefit.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:15 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
Yes, I retired in April and will turn 62 in November. But I have been saving like crazy in the years since my daughter finished college in order to be able to afford to do that. If you have been on disability are you in a financial position that allows you an early retirement? Regaining the ability to work seems like a good opportunity to put extra money in savings and build a larger social security check. It sounds like that is what you have decided to do.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:24 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Nope. I retired at 58.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:29 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
I was 64. I retired because I needed eye surgery.
You seem a bit upset about the amount you will get (not the full retirement amount age).

I wish someone could/would explain why a person living in a low-income facility (not HUD) is charged extra rent every year even tho for several years our SS payments did not go up.

I guess it's life. Not much we can do about it. Just something more to accept.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:43 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
I retired at 63, that was 21 years ao.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:00 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifexponential View Post
Hi folks. I had been on disability but recently got a job. I'm 62 and change almost 63 and when I told Social Security about my new job, well now I'm not going to get the disability I had been getting for awhile and that's fine, I was geared for that. But once I stop getting those benefits, I can have the option of filing for retirement, but it's not going to be the full retirement age.
They sure ding you for that.
I for one feel it's not fair because why wait until you're so old you cant even enjoy the benefits you get!
So with that said, anyone here file for retirement early?
If you're worried about the SS cut you get when filing at 62, as others will no doubt pipe up and mention, that unless you opt out of health coverage, you will also have to carry your own insurance on top of that cut until you are 65 to qualify for medicare. That turns out to be an important topic here.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:18 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I was 64. I retired because I needed eye surgery.
You seem a bit upset about the amount you will get (not the full retirement amount age).

I wish someone could/would explain why a person living in a low-income facility (not HUD) is charged extra rent every year even tho for several years our SS payments did not go up.

I guess it's life. Not much we can do about it. Just something more to accept.
for the same reason all our expenses go up even though we didn't get a raise working . at least ss tracks the cpi , your rent goes up regardless of the cpi when you work .

many low income workers are really the ones on a fixed income . not ss recipients. ss recipients get increases when inflation picks up .

in fact ss recipients get no increase in health insurance unless they get a raise. i could not say that when i was working .my health insurance climbed every year even if no raise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement