Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 07:04 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,258,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
So I've got to start packing boxes once I get home from my current trip. How did you figure out what to take to your new second home/eventual retirement house and what to leave?

Some things will be easy decisions, like big pieces of furniture. Probably better to buy new at the new location. I have several large sets of china I don't often use but like having, those can go too as space in the truck permits.

I just don't want to be saying, "Dang, why didn't I think to bring THAT?"
Well, I made the mistake of selling off a lot of things I wish now I still had. Riding lawn mower, pull behind dump cart, power washer(since replaced), tiller, wheelbarrow, and a bunch of other items. I figured I would just buy new if I needed those items again. Really, I just didn’t want the hassle of moving so much stuff 1200 miles!
Dumb dumb dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 08:50 PM

419 posts, read 387,811 times
I've also been thinking about what to take if we find we are able to move. We have had most of our furniture, at least the good-ish stuff, for over 20 years. Financially it makes sense to pack it into a rental truck and take it with us. But after having the furniture for so long, I would like something different if we move. Our dining room set and bedroom suite are bulky and heavy, and I'd prefer something smaller and lighter.

There are a couple of pieces I would hate to leave behind, but they would be a necessary sacrifice. I'm hoping we'd be able to sell some of it for a little something and add that to what we would be saving on rental truck and storage. It wouldn't cover the cost of new furniture, but it would be something. And I'd have new, lighter furniture. I also want less furniture than we currently have. We still have an old couch that only the dogs use, and we have some small side tables and such that we really don't need.

I figure only take those things we use often or will have difficulty replacing. Hubby is the "collector" in the family, and it will be hard to get him to get rid of any tools and every little nut and bolt he has saved for over 20 years. I'd be happy taking some favorite kitchen stuff, our electronics, photos, DVDs, books, a few favorite decorative items, one set of golf clubs, sewing machine, clothes, and necessary things like papers, medicines and doggie stuff. I'd like to start afresh with only those things most important to us.

We should be able to fit most of what we really want and need to take in our two SUVs. The question is will hubby suddenly have to take the wheelbarrow, and the large tool box, etc, etc. I see a compromise in our future with maybe a small pull behind U-haul travel trailer for those things hubby won't leave behind.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:55 AM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
If my furniture had been old I might have re-thought my decision. Thankfully my furniture works in my apartment but you're right, it would be fun to buy things to fit the new local. And, as long as your items have 'paid for themselves ' and you're willing and excited to start your new adventure with new belongings, heck, go for it.

I'm looking forward to finding new artwork that fits my new locale. I haven't looked much yet because this first year has been about finding out what my true expenses are to live here and being conservative. Now that I know I have been consistently able to save each month I can be more flexible.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:11 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Quote:
Good question!

In mulling it over, my immediate objective is to either 1) move existing stuff, 2) buy new/used or 3) buy from the sellers enough furniture so we can spend two weeks in the new house at Christmas.

1. Moving our existing stuff: On further reflection, moving a lot of stuff 1000 miles right away doesn't make sense when I'm under the gun at work until after Christmas.

2. Buy new/used: DH has made no secret of the fact that he wants a king-size bed there. I already know where I'll be getting that. I'm also in the market for an antique tansu.

3. Buy from the sellers: This was one of those house listings that said "Furnishings available on separate bill of sale" so I am hopeful we can get some pieces like tables and chairs at a reasonable price. The listing agent joked that the wife said everything is negotiable except her husband -- he's going with her.

DH is still refusing to set a retirement date, so I guess there's no rush yet. I still have time to box up those 7 sets of china!

Thanks for all your responses.
... So to rephrase, your husband wants a king-size bed and you want enough furniture to spend two weeks at Christmas in the new house. But, you are not in any real hurry to move your stuff (and may not actually need to move your things from the old house (?) - Are you keeping two homes? Are you going to pack-up your things from the current home for delivery later?

Perhaps there are other temporary options, such as renting the furniture you need/want. It won't really save you any time, stress or inconvenience to shop for, buy and take delivery of new furniture (over having your own furniture delivered), unless delivery time is an issue. With a rental (or even the existing owner's furniture, you can eliminate the shopping, delivery, placement, etc.. (Is the owner anxious to move over the holidays? Perhaps you could rent/use their furniture?) -

In any case, it probably makes sense to avoid solving short-term/temporary problems with long-term solutions - such as rushing out to buy a lot of furniture you will later be stuck with. - If you are packing-up and moving your household anyway, you could mark the things you want delivered immediately and have the mover store the rest temporarily for delivery in January. Optionally, if you are driving, you could rent a small truck (or hire someone with a truck and/or people to load/unload) and move the things you want delivered now. Then, have your regular mover take everything else later.

Without really understanding your full situation, it's difficult to suggest solutions -- except that keeping your focus on WHAT you are really trying to accomplish (not HOW), is likely to give you a better overall result. ("Fluffythewondercat" - it's an interesting and imaginative 'handle')

Old 10-17-2018, 10:35 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
In any case, it probably makes sense to avoid solving short-term/temporary problems with long-term solutions - such as rushing out to buy a lot of furniture you will later be stuck with.

I'm definitely not going to do that. You're right, that wouldn't make any sense at all.

These are the facts as I know them:

-Escrow on the new house is supposed to close November 15.

-DH is not yet ready to stop working.

-He normally gets two weeks off for Christmas/New Years so that would be a perfect time to be in Phoenix to enjoy and familiarize ourselves with the new house.

-The sellers offered to let us buy any pieces we wanted but they haven't given us a list with prices yet.

-I'll be ordering the king bed for the master's in late November. This bed purchase is important to DH but he doesn't care about any other furnishings.

-If the furnishings list comes through soon and they give us a good discount on all of it, I'll buy it all and leave the old furniture in the old house.

-There are only a few very good pieces from California I really want to bring eventually, anyway.

-I can even leave the filing cabinets behind because the guest house has offices with built-in filing cabinets.

At some point in the not-too-distant future, I will get tired of paying the mortgage on the new place, DH will (reluctantly) leave the work world and we will start renovating the California house to prepare it for market.

The more I think about this, the easier this seems it will be. Or maybe I'm just fooling myself and trying not to freak out.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:46 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
At some point in the not-too-distant future, I will get tired of paying the mortgage on the new place, DH will (reluctantly) leave the work world and we will start renovating the California house to prepare it for market.
It will be easier to renovate, and later to show the house, with less furniture and "stuff" in it. Also, with less there, your husband may start to feel like moving to the new place which will be more comfortable (I wouldn't tell him that, tho).

Old 10-17-2018, 03:25 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
It will be easier to renovate, and later to show the house, with less furniture and "stuff" in it. Also, with less there, your husband may start to feel like moving to the new place which will be more comfortable (I wouldn't tell him that, tho).

You're surely correct.

Most people, I think, look forward to leaving the work world and embarking on a journey of discovery and new possibilities. Not him. He hates change, any kind of change. But like colonoscopies and dental work, the dread is usually worse than the actual event. He'll be OK. He knows it.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:13 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Well, I made the mistake of selling off a lot of things I wish now I still had. Riding lawn mower, pull behind dump cart, power washer(since replaced), tiller, wheelbarrow, and a bunch of other items. I figured I would just buy new if I needed those items again. Really, I just didn’t want the hassle of moving so much stuff 1200 miles!
Dumb dumb dumb.

Do you have a habitat restore near you? The one near us has those things for very reasonable prices.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:38 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
So I've got to start packing boxes once I get home from my current trip. How did you figure out what to take to your new second home/eventual retirement house and what to leave?

Some things will be easy decisions, like big pieces of furniture. Probably better to buy new at the new location. I have several large sets of china I don't often use but like having, those can go too as space in the truck permits.

My mom used graph paper as room templates and measured the furniture to make graph paper templates of it. She could then rearrange the furniture on paper, or try out a new piece to see if it would work.

That doesn’t work well with me. Worked for my sister. I measure my furniture and make newspaper and masking tape templates and lay it out in the room.

That might help you to make the decision onto what to take.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:57 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times
Quote:

I presume you are downsizing into a smaller home that will reduce your storage capacity.

A good rule of thumb... if you haven't used it in the past 6 months then time to let go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement