U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 01:28 PM

3,373 posts, read 3,783,982 times

Advertisements

I look at my stuff, including my clothes, and think "Is that going to be needed/used in Florida?" If not, it's staying in Wisconsin. We will be heading for our Florida house for 4 months at the end of this year. The seller is leaving a set of bunk beds I paid him $100 to leave there. That's it. We're taking a high top round table and the matching two chairs with us. That's ALL that will be in our new house! We're going to have to do some shopping, and FAST, because all our Wisconsin friends claim they're coming to visit! Hubby wants a king-size bed, so he finally talked me into leaving our bed here. I LOVE that bed, but, I do like a king size bed when we travel, so he wins. We have, and love, our sleep number mattress, so we're going to buy a king size one and have it sent right to the Florida house. He says he can easily build a pedestal for it to sit on, with sleep number you don't need a box spring anyway.
We've been planning this move for so many years we haven't bought any new furniture in forever. The last piece we bought WAS our bed, and that was an anniversary gift to ourselves back in 2005. We had been using the bedroom set my parents gave us for a wedding gift in 1980. Kitchen table and chairs, living room couch and chair we bought when we built this house in 1992. I think we deserve some new furniture to put in our new house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 01:40 PM

39,503 posts, read 2,983,837 times
We left behind (junked) the majority of our furniture when we moved, the place we bought, left behind the kitchen table & chairs which fit nicely & also the sofa. We had the sofa recovered, & bought a new bed. If you are moving any kind of distance, it is probably cheaper to buy new stuff, than pay to move it. We did bring a few curio cabinets, which I like. If in doubt, do not bring it.

Old 10-20-2018, 10:05 AM

8,959 posts, read 7,737,941 times
I would be look at taking or getting rid of it. Time to declutter.

Old 10-20-2018, 12:08 PM

122 posts, read 107,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Did you factor in the cost of moving and storage into your "too much money to rebuy furniture?"
thats the position we are in, finally factored everything, and at 200 a month for storage, plus moving costs, just was not worth keeping anything for us,

Old 10-20-2018, 07:55 PM

7,642 posts, read 4,699,473 times
Yesterday, we received a lovely note from the sellers, via their agent and ours, gifting us with a few items they thought we might like. They promised to send the list of available furnishings next week.

What I am hoping for even more than that is that they will leave either manuals for all of the equipment or written instructions.

And to the person who asked, we are upsizing. We're moving from a two-story 2740 sq ft house on a 6,000 sq ft lot to a one-story 6600 sq ft house on a 35,000 sq ft lot. I can still climb stairs but it will be nice not to have to.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:17 PM

14,233 posts, read 44,903,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Yesterday, we received a lovely note from the sellers, via their agent and ours, gifting us with a few items they thought we might like. They promised to send the list of available furnishings next week.

What I am hoping for even more than that is that they will leave either manuals for all of the equipment or written instructions.

And to the person who asked, we are upsizing. We're moving from a two-story 2740 sq ft house on a 6,000 sq ft lot to a one-story 6600 sq ft house on a 35,000 sq ft lot. I can still climb stairs but it will be nice not to have to.

In that case, I would not be too eager to get rid of anything that you "like". I would just be looking to get rid of items that you think are not worth moving, it would cost more in money and/or trouble to move them than you could replace them for.

But more room is always good.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:47 PM

3,373 posts, read 3,783,982 times
Quote:

I'm hoping this too!! It would be nice to have something to sit on when we get there!! And, we don't have to worry about the manuals and instructions. Our seller, who has been renting the house back from us since March, not only showed us how things work when we were there, but showed us the stack of manuals and instructions he has kept for us. He is REALLY organized!!

Old 10-24-2018, 01:40 PM

7,642 posts, read 4,699,473 times
We received the list of available furnishings. Rather than offering them a la carte, they're doing a package deal.

I priced what the major items would cost us if we bought them new and came to the conclusion that their asking price is fair. Plus, of course, there's the convenience factor of having the house 2/3rds furnished when escrow closes. One of the items is a king-sized sleigh bed, so I can delay the bed purchase I had planned and DH gets the bed he wanted right away.

There's a good deal of solid-wood furniture, most of it antique, some of it hand-carved, but I think my favorite is the large two-sided Korean tansu step chest. I love the fact that we are getting five filing cabinets in the casita offices because that means eventually I can pack up the files in banker's boxes and dump the junky beat-up file cabinets we have here.

Old 10-24-2018, 02:20 PM

14,233 posts, read 44,903,829 times
Quote:
We received the list of available furnishings. Rather than offering them a la carte, they're doing a package deal.

I priced what the major items would cost us if we bought them new and came to the conclusion that their asking price is fair. Plus, of course, there's the convenience factor of having the house 2/3rds furnished when escrow closes. One of the items is a king-sized sleigh bed, so I can delay the bed purchase I had planned and DH gets the bed he wanted right away.

There's a good deal of solid-wood furniture, most of it antique, some of it hand-carved, but I think my favorite is the large two-sided Korean tansu step chest. I love the fact that we are getting five filing cabinets in the casita offices because that means eventually I can pack up the files in banker's boxes and dump the junky beat-up file cabinets we have here.

Depending on your market, you may want to do a similar deal when selling your house. A guy like me might appreciate even somewhat beat up but functional file cabinets, already there in the house, ready for use.

I remember the first house I bought, I bargained for them to leave the fridge there - I was coming from small apartments and did not have any appliances of my own. To me that made more sense than having the seller move the fridge away. I was 25 years old. Remember spending my first night in "my" first house, built a small fire in the fireplace and slept near it in a sleeping bag (didn't even have a bed yet). But it was MY HOUSE dammit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or