U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 12:50 PM

7,664 posts, read 4,705,800 times

Advertisements

So I've got to start packing boxes once I get home from my current trip. How did you figure out what to take to your new second home/eventual retirement house and what to leave?

Some things will be easy decisions, like big pieces of furniture. Probably better to buy new at the new location. I have several large sets of china I don't often use but like having, those can go too as space in the truck permits.

I just don't want to be saying, "Dang, why didn't I think to bring THAT?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 12:58 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,159,488 times
We have moved often in last 7 years, 2011, 2013, 2016, 2017 and now 2018. From the first to the last we did not unpack everything and with this last we are unpacking and getting rid of anything we don't want anymore. DD's took the Futon we didn't want and each a dresser - one has a bookcase that I got after my grandmother died,(and upon pain of death, if she doesn't want it anymore or wants to paint it) - It comes back to me. We trashed the couch. one DD took one of the nasty pink recliners that we have had for 20 years. We hope to get all new living room furniture on Black Friday sales.

The youngest that has the bookcase - her oldest sister also got the small desk and chair that Grandma paid her bills at - and I did allow her to Chalk paint it - but it is in storage now and I want it back when she can get it out of storage.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:10 PM

4,365 posts, read 3,700,708 times
Figure out where you are going to put the item in your new home. That may help eliminate some things.
Consider an organization such as Goodwill for items that have use and you are not going to take.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:10 PM

2,242 posts, read 1,102,902 times
Bring things that you use at least once a year, leave the rest behind.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:39 PM

14,242 posts, read 44,919,845 times
Large furniture, you can sell or donate, but when you get to "there", I would suggest that you can get used furniture for like 10 cents on the dollar. I am not too hot on used sofas, but hard furniture like tables and chairs you can frequently get a better unit for less money buying used.

I would be most inclined to bring small, high value items and to leave large low value items.

Depends on how you want to do the move. If you get a U-Haul, well, you might as well fill it up, the cost is almost the same.

You can use PODS or similar to ship some stuff as well.

Also consider what will fit in your new place, if it wont' fit or wont' "go" with the new place, obviously leave that.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:32 PM

3,373 posts, read 3,784,658 times
Doing this too.... Leaving for our second home at the end of the year, but will be back to primary home next May. We're taking almost nothing. All that's at our second home is a set of bunk beds. I think our first purchase will be a new bed!!

Old 10-15-2018, 04:38 PM

3,962 posts, read 2,034,762 times
I'll tell you what, I just moved to my (hopefully) "last" retirement home (although I thought the other home I still have was going to be that). After the auctioneer's men were finished clearing furniture and stuff out from the old home, the movers only had about 10 pieces of furniture to move, total. It was probably the easiest move they ever had; I think the total time expended was around 4 hours, including driving time. The maximum effort they had to expend was in disassembling and reassembling my two 1870's beds. I took very little with me as I really didn't want to recreate the clutter I had at the old house. I'm tired of dusting!

Old 10-15-2018, 06:42 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,155,024 times
We moved from NY to Idaho last spring from a 3,200 sq.ft (5 BRs, 2.5 baths home) to a 4,800 sq.ft (4 BRs, 3 baths home). We got rid of about 40% of our furniture and ~ 70% of household items and clothing in spite of the fact that we are moving to a bigger home.

Below are the criteria which we used to decide what to keep and what to give away:

1. Will we be using the items in the new home? This takes into account changes in the size/design/style of the new home, changes in climate, living conditions or lifestyles.

2. Is it worth it to ship the needed items across the country? Replacement cost vs. shipping cost + the time it takes to shop/acquire the items. Most shippers charge shipping cost by the weights. The shipper which we used (upack.com) charges by the volume (roughly about $1/cubic ft after some basic cost).

3. Do we enjoy or cherish the items? Moving is a good time to get rid of things which you have kept mainly for utilitarian reasons.

In spite of the weights, we shipped our Ethan Allen American Impression furniture, several pieces of mahogany and cherry furniture hand-crafted by a friend and our living room sofa and love seat. These items are of high quality, solidly built and of the style which we like. It would be very difficult to replace them either with used or new furniture.

We gave away the entire downstairs living room set from the previous house. It has been 6 months and our current downstairs living room still has not been completely furnished. We searched high and low for a queen leather sofa sleeper and could not find anything of the quality and style of our liking. We ended up ordering one from a North Carolina manufacturer. It took 3 months for the sofa to be shipped. I declined accepting the sofa when the mover discovered few scratches in the back. I still have not received the repaired sofa!

The are only few items which I sort of regret giving away: some kitchen appliances, my sewing machine, some cookware, dinnerware, garden tools, few favorite pieces of clothing. I found that they were easy replaced so it was more of an inconvenience not to have them when I needed them than real 'losses'.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:55 PM

2,202 posts, read 1,346,551 times
Since your new home will eventually be your only home, I would take the things that "fit" into the new place... meaning if the style of furniture you have in the old house will look good in the new house, then take it. If the style doesn't go, then leave it. Decide which pieces have meaning to you... take your favorites. Same for home decor items.

Of course you will have to have a kitchen you can work in so take what you need for that. If you have duplicates of things, take one of each. If you have triplicates or more, donate or sell them.

If you have collections of things (china, chatchkas, dolls, bears, or whatever) you might want to re-evaluate if you want to keep some or all of them. This is where the "downsizing" and "decluttering" threads will help you.

Good luck. It's a good problem to have.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:06 PM

4,437 posts, read 2,612,363 times
OP, here is another way to weed out what to take.

Assume there is a "magic way" to immediately get stuff out in a fire.

Simply go through the house and put a sticker on the items you REALLY REALLY want to save if you had only one hour to "magically" get them out or lose them forever to ashes.

Next is to ONLY TAKE what you REALLY use.

Someone mentioned something like 7 sets of China that they like. REALLY? how many sets can you REASONABLY use...even at a larger dinner party where more than one set may be needed. Seriously DON'T take all 7 sets.

My OH and i decided that we'd only keep china patterns that are dishwasher and microwave safe, ruling out the older sets our respective mothers had. Those got /will get sold when the time comes to clear out our remaining father's houses.

Get yourself a roll-off dumpster and fill it with your discards, things that arent really worth anything, and have a massive bargain garage sale. Sell at bargain prices and youll do quite well.

Then with what's left. Pare down again, using the " i havent used this in 6 months or a year" or the " i firgot i had this" rules.

Those 3 things should leave you with your essentials and favored sentimental items

Best of luck...its a big job.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or