U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2018, 06:25 AM

194 posts, read 116,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
Be careful what you wish for....

I was remarking to someone just today that people in New England (at least in CT) are a sullen lot because we have 2 weeks of spring (don't ever go on vacation in April--you'll miss it), a short summer, and once September rolls around, we are mentally bracing ourselves for the cold and snow. We never know from year to year if....

Halloween will be cancelled because of a massive snowstorm that shuts down the state and results in power outages for days...

OR...

If the real winter weather won't begin until March and extend well into the end of April. By Christmas we're burnt out from all the stress of anticipation and dread...

AND THEN...

SAD kicks because we're driving into work before dawn and coming home in the dark.
This is Michigan, too. I wonder - how far SOUTH do I need to go to get 4 approximately equal seasons (with more sunshine than MI?)
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 08:21 AM

5,180 posts, read 669,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I'll second that. I thought as I got older I would less winter tolerant but actually I'm finding I'm less heat tolerant. But different strokes for different folks...

My nephew grew up in Syracuse and he and all of his brothers LIVE for winter. When he got a job in the Boston area he was itching to experience winter in New England. Well, winter rolled around and he lamented, "Where's the snow?" He was astonished that the weather was so mild. (We must've had one of those "March to April" winters that year) He was caught up in the myth of the "Classic New England Winter" which probably only happens with any consistency in VT, NH and ME. Southern NE gets cold, humid, DAMP winters for the most part which leaves me permanently chilled to the bone. I'll concede that some years are better than others but it's a crap shoot.

One year I had to go to Savannah, GA to pick up my daughter from school. It was just after Christmas. When I left CT it was cold, damp, cloudy and hovering around 40F. When I got to Savannah it was cold, damp, cloudy and hovering around 40F. I knew right then that retiring ANYWHERE along the Atlantic seaboard north of FL would not work for me.

Currently, it's 38F where I am in CT. It's 86F in Pinellas County where I'm headed in 2 weeks. I CANNOT WAIT!!

Old 10-18-2018, 08:25 AM

12,686 posts, read 14,068,003 times
Did anyone retire in an area with undesirable weather all/part of the year to save $$??

I grew up in a small town/rural area of western NY state, and I spent my adult years smack-dab in Manhattan, NYC. Loved life in both places, sometimes because of, sometimes despite the weather.

But come retirement and I would have rather had piles than live in either type of those climates. Enough!!! My retirement alternatives were all places that simply sounded as if I might like them, but unsurprisingly none had anything but my idea of pleasant year-round climate too. I finally chose southern Europe, and I live more inexpensively than I would have in any of my U.S. alternatives.

So, thus far, at least, I have won out....and no piles either.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:50 AM

5,180 posts, read 669,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnmo View Post
This is Michigan, too. I wonder - how far SOUTH do I need to go to get 4 approximately equal seasons (with more sunshine than MI?)
I think it's more of a time zone thing. I grew up in WNY (toward the middle of the time zone) and in the winter they get a full half hour more of daylight than where I am in CT (towards the beginning of EST zone in the US). On the flip side of that, daybreak is earlier here. I see Michigan has two time zones. Which time zone do you live in? You wouldn't think that would make much of a difference but it does.

You need to get yourself situated by one of the Great Lakes--the unobstructed horizon gives the illusion of more daylight. During the peak of summer in WNY along Lake Erie there's still vestiges of daylight at 9 PM. CT's topography is hills covered with trees for the most part so it's permanently shady, and where I am is an hour away from any shoreline.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:45 PM

7,904 posts, read 5,031,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnmo View Post
It can't be done. Heading south from Michigan (Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama) the summers get longer and the winters shorter... but fall and spring remain short. In southern Ohio, it is typical to have below-freezing nights through the middle of April. By mid-May, the days are already in the 80s. In the "fall", it's 80+ degrees through early October, but by mid-November (if not earlier) there can be snow-flurries. Head further south, and summer-type of weather expands and winter contracts. However, even in central Alabama it is common to have winter lows in the teens.

In other words, nowhere in the midsection of the United States does one enjoy a full 3 months of spring, and a full 3 months of fall. By "spring" or "fall" I mean temperatures sufficiently low, that even in a brisk-walk while wearing a business-suit, one would not break into a sweat; yet sufficiently warm, that one could stand at an outdoor bus-stop wearing said business suit, but no hat or overcoat, and not be shivering. Contrast this to, say, southern England, where such suit-weather occurs for much of the year.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:14 PM

14,227 posts, read 44,887,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
whats the best place to retire with low property taxes, low utility bills, low auto registration and auto taxes?

Well, some states like Wyoming have very low taxes, but the winter is a force to be dealt with. Parts of Texas, parts of Tennessee, even parts of Washington (away from Seattle) (if you want very low power rates, there are a few districts here that are quite cheap).

Actually most of the US is pretty reasonable for COL. The places that are not, are parts of California, Oregon and Washington near Portland and Seattle respectively, most of the Northeast, parts of the Midwest. The vast majority of what's left would fit most of your bill.

You have to decide which of your desiderata are the most important. You can find varying levels of each of your points in various places, but the place with the cheapest power won't have the lowest property tax, for example.

Only a few states charge a property tax on cars. Only one I can think of is Virginia, but there are probably others.

There will be other things - the local culture, the physical climate, proximity to whatever you want to be proximate to, etc. The place with the very cheapest costs will probably not be that appealing - for example, in parts of Detroit, you can buy a very nice historic house for, relatively, chump change. Mostly, the COL there is low. But the weather is awful, city services suck, and, did I mention you will freeze your butt off in winter?

Old 10-18-2018, 02:26 PM

151 posts, read 70,978 times
We've lived for the past 20 years in a city with freezing cold winters, lousy summers, AND a high COL (Calgary, Alberta), and I am so very done with it. I've grown to hate winter with a fiery passion. <---pun alert But no, really, I detest the cold and everything to do with it.

Unlike in the US, we in Canada have a much smaller selection of places to live that are mild, and none that are mild and cheap.

Needless to say, after a lifetime of shoveling snow, layering up, and brutal driving conditions, good weather is just as important as COL when it comes to our retirement plans, if not more so. We're hoping to live in the mountains in BC, where it will be sunny and glorious for three seasons, and then as soon as all the snow comes piling down, we'll skedaddle to Arizona. I'd rather do without a hell of a lot of creature comforts than compromise on the weather, yo.

I'm at the point in my life where, like a cat (or lizard), all I need to be happy is a patch of sun to sit in haha.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:37 PM

7,904 posts, read 5,031,079 times
Yet another consideration is whether one aims to move elsewhere for retirement, after having spent a lifetime where one grew up, and pursued one's career... or, the scenario where one is born and grows up in Region A, then relocates for work to Region B, and then is considering Region C for retirement.

A lifelong resident of the Midwest perhaps would not mind the climate, or any other aspect of the place. Then, why relocate in retirement? But what of a person who was born and raised, say, in San Francisco... but then went to college in Chicago, and spent the next 40 years living and working in Peoria, IL? It is for such a person, that the relocation-question is especially operative.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:32 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,169,240 times
When I bought a house in WV northern panhandle I found that the weather was almost exactly the same as where I came from which was Cape Cod MA, except WV doesn't see many hurricanes.
If I watch the weather here and there it is usually the same weather forecast about two days after it is here.

We moved here because of the cost of living and inexpensive housing, while still having good access to everything we needed like Medical care, shopping, city hall, library, banking, etc. Heck the funeral home is even close by.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:52 PM

247 posts, read 166,438 times
If you want distinct seasons you have to accept that some of those seasons will be uncomfortable. If you dislike hot/humid and you dislike snow too, your choices are limited to desert (hot and cold but dry, so more bearable) and maritime (neither very hot nor very cold, just damp and overcast most of the time -- much of western Europe, and the Pacific NW, is a maritime climate).

The only other choice is a mediterranean climate (dry cool summers, wet cool winters), and the US only has California with that climate. Has other issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or