U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 07:49 AM

2,512 posts, read 1,366,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
For about 15 years I owned an apartment building in Connecticut, We would occasionally get a storm that would dump multiple feet of snow on us.

Now I have lived in Southern Maine for 13 years, the biggest single dump of snow we have seen has been 14 inches. Normally every winter we get one storm each week with up to 6 inches of snow. Followed by 5 or 6 days of clear sunny skies. It may accumulate up to 3 foot deep, but that takes all Winter to gradually build-up that high and only in spots where it has not been disturbed.

I think that everywhere along the Eastern coast will get the occasional storm blowing out of the North-East.

I would hate living anywhere that was known for dumping multiple feet of snow at once.
My parents lived in Ottawa, Ontario and their winters were similar. Small storms, lots of sun in between, but the snow didn't melt and it would get so high and obstructive. Of course, everyone knowing how to drive in the snow helped a lot

Yes, the Nor'easters can be fierce in the winter in NJ. The good thing is we only get them maybe once a year, twice if we are unlucky. We only get 26 inches of snow a year on average but I'm sure that can go up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 09:47 AM

755 posts, read 494,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post

For me, Eastern WA is, if not a paradise, quite good, some of the summer is hotter than I would like, some of the winter colder - occasional years we get a real excess of one or the other - but I like it better than the other places I have tried.
Eastern WA is actually one of the places we would like to explore more. It seems like a nice area, but we've only been there once.

The heat really bugs me for about 3 mo. in the summer. I did a lot of investigating, but so far, we haven't found a place that we really want to move that we could also afford. Definitely don't want a humid climate, although this year's summer monsoon here was even more humid than usual. Fortunately, it is done now and we are into awesome weather!

Old 10-20-2018, 10:59 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,860 posts, read 40,317,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
Eastern WA is actually one of the places we would like to explore more. It seems like a nice area, but we've only been there once.

The heat really bugs me for about 3 mo. in the summer. I did a lot of investigating, but so far, we haven't found a place that we really want to move that we could also afford. Definitely don't want a humid climate, although this year's summer monsoon here was even more humid than usual. Fortunately, it is done now and we are into awesome weather!
Tough to beat Prescott, can you get to higher elevation or a cooler place in AZ for the 3 months you dislike?

Lots of variety in Eastern WA, but mid summers can be hot + fires.

Probably the most mild for summer is far N and NE (https://pendoreilleco.org/) But stay off the river (winter fog) and be prepared for serious snow in winter.

Far SE (Blue Mtns) are also nice, but remote and HOT at times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_M...ific_Northwest)
The Undiscovered Blue Mountains of Washington and Oregon - Northwest Travel Magazine

Look closer to home, while you can...

AK and BC can be very nice in Summer

Old 10-20-2018, 09:58 PM

979 posts, read 1,538,217 times
Feel free to come to Kansas where we sometimes have all four seasons in a 48-hour period.

Personally I can tolerate 105 degrees much more easily than 5 degrees. But if I make it to retirement, I'll be able to eliminate the things I hate most about winter, which, generally, is driving when the weather is dangerously cold or dangerously snowy/icy.

Old 10-21-2018, 05:05 AM

1,137 posts, read 578,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The region East of the Great Lakes, gets huge dumps of snow and rain.

This region is basically "Grand Rapids-Detroit-Cleveland-Toronto-Buffalo-Rochester-Syracuse-Ithaca-Scranton-Albany-NYC-New Haven-Hartford-Springfield-Worcester-Providence-Manchester-Boston".

Not very much of Maine dips down South into that region.

Inside the snow belt they get over-night snow dumped on them, that will be multiple feet of snow in a single storm.

We may get that quantity of snow spread out over the course of the entire winter, a couple inches one week, a couple inches the next week, and so on.

Maine gets a lot of summer tourists from the snow belt.
They think we are heroic for living here since we are North of them, they think we must get 10X more snow than they get.
But they forget that we are not in the snow belt.
The mountains of Colorado had the best snow. We lived there for 10 years and didn't even own a snow-shovel; even a 3' dump could be managed with a broom. The snow was so dry there, you couldn't make a snowball most of the winter to save your life.

Once we moved east, we lived up and down Maine, and had encountered a wide array of different types of snow. Some areas got lots of snow, then sun, then snow, then sun...that was the worst. It turned into an ice sandwich if you didn't stay on top of it all the time. Then there were ice storms on top of the snow; that was an experience we never experienced in Colorado. Those were not common, but they were the only time I really didn't enjoy snow management too much.The coldest areas in Northern Maine seemed to be the easiest to manage, as the snow was not as wet as in some of the southern coastal areas. Regardless, we spent a lot of time outside clearing snow.

Michigan is another animal. Down here in southern Michigan, we really don't get a lot of snow, the largest I can remember in the last 6 years was a 12" dump over 30 hours. We live in a subdivision that plows roads, so that is not an issue, but we have a small snow-thrower to clear our 40' driveway. It doesn't do too good a job late winter as the snow gets heavier. However, we get much colder temperatures and higher winds than Maine, so driving to 28 miles (one-way) to work in -12F blowing snow was not one of my favorite pastimes.

Our final retirement home in northern Michigan is another beast; it gets an average of 124" of snow per year (10.3 feet), so our snow removal equipment will be up-scaled this next year. We have a 300' driveway, winding up-hill, so I wouldn't want to try our baby snow-thrower there. It is also colder up and drier up there, so I am expecting it to be easier to move much of the time (we'll see). It is, however in a lake-effect snow belt, so it can be heavy if the temp rises. Looking forward to new challenges.

The biggest change is that we no longer have to drive in it when it is at its worst. This is a great change for us. I always enjoyed snow, removing it, shoveling it, etc. Great exercise, crisp clean air. Personally, we could never live in a non four-season area- it just makes us feel alive.

Old 10-21-2018, 12:26 PM

755 posts, read 494,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Tough to beat Prescott, can you get to higher elevation or a cooler place in AZ for the 3 months you dislike?

Lots of variety in Eastern WA, but mid summers can be hot + fires.

Probably the most mild for summer is far N and NE (https://pendoreilleco.org/) But stay off the river (winter fog) and be prepared for serious snow in winter.

Far SE (Blue Mtns) are also nice, but remote and HOT at times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_M...ific_Northwest)
The Undiscovered Blue Mountains of Washington and Oregon - Northwest Travel Magazine

Look closer to home, while you can...

AK and BC can be very nice in Summer
Interesting info., thanks!

Yes, Prescott weather is pretty close to perfect. We live about 30 mi. outside of Prescott at about 3800 ft., so we are hotter in the summer. But, I really can't (or shouldn't) complain. Our weather is pretty darn good.

Old 10-21-2018, 12:44 PM

8,708 posts, read 6,220,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
So-called perfect weather is boring. And there are other, more important things in life.
Totally, utterly, insufferably. This cannot be overstated.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:01 PM

644 posts, read 413,340 times
We were until recently thinking about moving to West Virginia, which is much less expensive, mostly in hopes of growing AutHaven at a faster rate. There were multiple reasons we chose to stay here-especially that we love it here so much-one being that the humidity and ticks sound terrible.

I ussually love the weather here. We have 4 seasons-though which season we are in seems to change from day to day- and I love that. Right now the leaves are changing colors and it is amazing. What's even better is that after all of those leaves fall from the trees, we will still be surrounded by thousands of pine trees.

I don't consider reading or knitting just filling in time. I don't knit [still haven't figured out how to tie my shoes! No way I could knit] but I love reading, even more during the winter. During the winter I also do a lot of puvlic speaking,baking, cooking, making soap ,practicing dancing for our next cruise [oh yeah, our cruise that we get for almost free!]and doing little things to fix up this place. It makes me feel so "mother-earthy" and 'juicy."

And in the spring and summer, biking, hiking, swimming, gardening, swinging on swings, bbq's, playing with our chickens and goats, planting the little apple trees who spent most of the winter as seeds in our refrigerator, all over the valley, and taking trips to the nudist resort to get "nekkid".

I think that even if we had decided to go ahead and move to West Virginia, that, despite the ticks and humidity, and other stuff, I doubt I would feel as though we were "settling." I mean, we could've had huge bonfires whenever we wanted [ you CAN'T do that in Colorado!] had a longer growing season, and there are so many more edible foods to forage for all over the place.

I have done such a good job [ussually] of embracing the beauty of my wrinkled, saggy, no-longer-able-to-do-cartwheels face and body, that I am fairly certain that I could move elsewhere without feeling I was "settling." but I have to admt that I LOVE it here!

Old 10-21-2018, 03:22 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,811,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
So-called perfect weather is boring. And there are other, more important things in life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Totally, utterly, insufferably. This cannot be overstated.
Absolutely. And one more positive note, it makes one feel so much more appreciative of the " nice" weather after a spell of the "bad." It's like the skies open up and heaven has been revealed.

That just doesn't happen when the weather is always the same day after day.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:32 PM

4,012 posts, read 1,713,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Depends on what you consider undesirable.

I live in Hawaii, pretty popular weather. But I'm sick of it, sick of it always being hot and humid, sick of palm trees and sun during the holidays.

I want boots and sweaters, and SEASONS.
Mikala, I escaped from Puna this spring and have been enjoying Minnesota. They complain about humidity, but it's no big deal--hang something up, and it's dry the next day. And I can wear sleeves again! The trees bloom in the spring, then their LEAVES turn all kine colors in the fall. We even got a light snowfall this week. We plan to head south before there is heavy snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or