U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 01:10 PM

1,183 posts, read 761,708 times

Advertisements

i let it be known i wanted no party at work, everyone was fine with that.

a friend organized an after work dinner, by invite only. that worked well. in a department of ~125 people there were folks i did not want at my dinner. in fairness, they probably weren't going to be there anyway but i wanted to be sure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 01:52 PM

642 posts, read 530,622 times
My long time employer closed the door back in 2014. Several of us had 30 plus in. Me 36. So never had a chance to have a retirement send off.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:45 PM

10,606 posts, read 12,138,982 times
I'm not yet retired but have enjoyed some of the smaller retirement get togethers I've been to. I don't always get to see the people daily and I like to come to them and just chat and catch up.

The last two I have been to have been thrown by the retiree.

One was during the lunch hours in our conference room. The retiree had saved up all sorts of "trinkets" from all of his past jobs (ID badges, photos, awards, etc) and brought them in for everyone to look over. He brought cake and drinks and set up a photo op area with funny signs so he could get pictures with everyone. It was cute and fun.

The next one was an afterhours thing, right afterwork, at a local fast-casual eating. The retiree paid for small finger sandwiches and drinks for a 2 hour time period. Everyone sat around and reminisced.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:12 PM

414 posts, read 262,753 times
My boss asked me if I wanted a party, and I told him I'd prefer just lunch at a nearby pizza place where we often had lunches to celebrate birthdays. We invited the 15 or so people in our group and took an extended lunch our on my last day, after which I went home.

They gave me a large "goodbye" card and a Fitbit, knowing I'm a runner. Sometimes I miss my coworkers, but I certainly don't miss the stress of the job!

Enjoy your retirement!

Old 10-17-2018, 03:21 PM

1,249 posts, read 590,916 times
My words to my boss when he brought up a "party" were "I just want to leave." Many reasons behind that. Wish it had been different. I was there 19 years. The job I left before that one I was only at for 3 years and had a very nice and memorable farewell. I guess I should have stayed with that job!

Old 10-17-2018, 03:22 PM

3,561 posts, read 1,368,509 times
"....went on PTO to use it up and never came back."
my neighbor did that exact same thing.
he "retired" on September 7th and spent
all his PTO/vacation/etc. until the 28th
when it was finally official.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:09 PM

1,036 posts, read 786,996 times
I emailed the details of my retirement over a year in advance. They gave me 5 months to train my replacement. I had said that I did not want a retirement party. However, I made sure the work was on schedule in case they did have a party my last week.

I came in early as usual that last Thursday, and saw that they had decorated for a surprise party. We ate lunch and talked for a bit. As soon as I could get away without appearing to be ungracious, I left and went back to work. My replacement left with me to help.

One of my former coworkers commented to me at a later date "At mshultz's retirement party, mshultz was the only one working".

My last day at work was Saturday second shift. I operated the water plant by myself. At the end of my shift, I reported plant status to the third shift operator, left my keys and ID on the bosses' desk, and walked out the door.

You can bet that when I interviewed for my current part-time job, I told them they trusted me to operate the water plant on my last day of work.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:58 PM

1,324 posts, read 1,328,399 times
I did 40 years and the only ones I told that I was pulling the pin was my division's command staff. No one else. There one day - gone the next. By the time my taillights disappeared in the distance, everyone forgot who I was. So be it.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:43 PM

444 posts, read 281,643 times
I accepted a buyout, as did about 60 other people in the larger office. Almost all of us chose the last day possible under the terms of the buyout, as our official retirement date. So the last few weeks were a frantic round of different takes on retirement parties. The other lady leaving our small office and I had no desire for any sort of formal luncheon, so we did a casual drop in for cake thing for all our work friends and of course our own small office. It was fun, and a good way to leave.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:47 PM

1,935 posts, read 348,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"....went on PTO to use it up and never came back."
my neighbor did that exact same thing.
he "retired" on September 7th and spent
all his PTO/vacation/etc. until the 28th
when it was finally official.
This is what I want to do ... just ride off into the sunset without looking back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement