U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 02:57 PM

5,233 posts, read 674,172 times

Advertisements

Due to "political" reasons I did not want a formal party on work premises. My Unit did take me out for lunch about a week before I retired. I told a few people that all I wanted was a gathering at a local watering hole after work on my last day where anyone could come if they wanted to. One of my co-workers arranged it and it was just perfect--it was just the right mix of people and we all had a great time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 03:07 PM

56,283 posts, read 54,731,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserSeneca View Post
I'm fine with what everyone wants to do. I understand why people have them.

I won't have one. I have severe anxiety when it comes to public displays like retirement parties, holiday parties, get-togethers, etc. When it comes to work it gets worse. I don't want awards, pats on the back, Atta boys, or any sort of recognition in front of anyone...ever. At my current job they have to ambush me to give me a certificate or coin or attention like that. It's my fault for not letting anyone know how I truly feel, but it's almost crippling. I don't want to talk in front of co workers about myself or recount any stories either.

I'll leave as I arrived. Anonymously, quietly and without fanfare.
I had a coworker who didn't want any attention around his retirement. We'd had some good conversations, so I just stopped by the morning of his last day and wished him well.

Sometime that afternoon, when no one was looking, he left. No one from work ever heard from him again.

I know he was moving to another state to be near his grandchildren. I hope he is happy.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:48 PM

2,461 posts, read 3,677,647 times
I hope to avoid this when I leave next December. I will only have 6-1/2 years so not really a seasoned employee with lots of memories.

When I retired from my previous job with 38 years of total service, 13 of those at the final location, there was almost no ceremony. A mid-day pizza lunch was planned at a bar/restaurant across the street with one day's notice before three of us retired on the same date. Lame, but no way to avoid it. No one could even have a drink to celebrate since everyone had to go back to the office.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:29 PM

30,721 posts, read 49,520,236 times
At my last duty station, the command planned a big function. I was offered my choice of any officer stationed there to give a speech, I choose the lowest ranking ensign in my chain-of-command. They had a big formation of our department, the off-going night-shift [who had just completed a 12-hour shift] and the section who was scheduled for an off-day were both forced to show up in dress uniforms and stand at attention for 2 hours as the speeches dragged on and on. It was among the most miserable things that they force the enlisted servicemembers to go through. I asked repeatedly if we could skip it, but my requests only angered the officers.

My wife and my children had already left the country and gone back stateside, so they were able to avoid it. I was the only 'honoree' of the ceremony.

I was presented with a 'shadowbox' with mementos from my career in it. I was ordered a month earlier to select a box for that purpose and to buy it. So at the ceremony, they gave me, the shadowbox that I had bought and put together.

The base cafeteria was directed to provide a platter of cookies, so we had cookies.

When the ceremony ended I invited everyone to join me at the enlisted club on-base for drinks. Where I had paid for a keg of beer. 3 people showed up [one of whom was the ensign that gave the speech].

I flew out of country the next day.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:12 PM
mlb mlb started this thread

3,197 posts, read 2,867,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Just do it. Youíll most likely have minimal to no contact with these people once you retire. And if you do and need to work later or know someone who needs a favor and these people can help donít burn bridges. Sure retirement parties are sort of dumb. Itís a few hours out of your life
Ummm....I'm leaving the state. I will stay in touch with a few - but I'm done.

Had my exit interview and it went well....

ALSO - an email went out that TWO of my former supervisors - (assistant CAOs) were moving to other cities and other jobs. Two who wanted me to have a party.

I"ll go to lunch with them and we will celebrate.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:03 PM

1,214 posts, read 363,319 times
It's just a party.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:18 PM

6,871 posts, read 3,889,822 times
No hospital I worked at had anything official for anyone. It was up to co workers to plan and pay for something if they wanted to. Consequently nobody got much, including me.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:37 AM

5,432 posts, read 3,464,353 times
If a person retiring will never see anyone from work ever again, I do not see the point of a get-together or party or special fanfare.

Not in favor of having one for myself, and really not in favor of them for others either.

I requested not to have one.

And definitely not in favor of a ceremony for anyone. But those who want one of the above, no problem. I think a lot of people really do not want a get-together for their departure, but are afraid to say so.

And work going out for lunches are often so tiresome and the last thing I desired for any reason at work.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:25 AM

5,818 posts, read 4,862,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I worked for a public agency that is in the state retirement system, so you make your retirement arrangements with the state and let HR know so they can process your health benefits. Of course you are SUPPOSED to let your supervisor know, but I knew of one case where the guy so hated his boss that one day his wife called the boss and said, "Bob has retired. His ID and phone are in the top drawer of his desk." Click.
I had a supervisor who went on vacation and while she was gone the board adopted a more generous pension formula. Someone called and told her about it. She phoned in her retirement the next day and never returned (except to HR office). I think she came in on a weekend and cleaned out her desk when no one was there.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:36 AM

23,685 posts, read 17,651,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
If a person retiring will never see anyone from work ever again, I do not see the point of a get-together or party or special fanfare.

Not in favor of having one for myself, and really not in favor of them for others either.

I requested not to have one.

And definitely not in favor of a ceremony for anyone. But those who want one of the above, no problem. I think a lot of people really do not want a get-together for their departure, but are afraid to say so.

And work going out for lunches are often so tiresome and the last thing I desired for any reason at work.
Aside from a few rare exceptions, I've never been personally close with a coworker to where I would want to attend anyway. I'm cordial and polite, but I work on a team where everyone else is 50+. We just don't have a lot in common.

If a retirement party was held for someone during business hours, I'd drop in and wish them well, but I won't use my personal time for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement