U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 09:21 AM
mlb mlb started this thread

3,179 posts, read 2,852,979 times

Advertisements

I have continued friendships I acquired during work at a number of my prior workplaces......

Matter of fact I am moving back close to where some of them live and we'll pickup where we left off.

That said - I have no ilusions that some of the friendships I made here at this last job will continue. So many of these people never venture outside their boxes - and frankly are afraid of doing so. That's OK.

Those that still want to be friends and visit? We will welcome them with open arms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 09:51 AM

30,677 posts, read 49,423,020 times
Facebook groups have formed from most of the commands where I have served. I have re-connected with many of my former crewmen through those FB groups.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:02 AM

26,589 posts, read 52,257,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"....went on PTO to use it up and never came back."
my neighbor did that exact same thing.
he "retired" on September 7th and spent
all his PTO/vacation/etc. until the 28th
when it was finally official.

When the company was changing ownership 3 of the 4 senior managers went on medical leave never to return... they had return dates with banners on their office doors and called in that morning and said they are retiring... never came in to pack their offices... 20 to 35 years on the job.

I packed their things and had them delivered...

The Hospital Cook was let go as part of the restructuring... I wanted to do something and was told to let it go... management said she was not taking it well and wanted to avoid drama... 22 years on the job and a favorite of the Docs as she would always whip up something for them in a pinch.

It is a funny thing around here... someone that is here for 4 years gets a big in house send-off and someone here for 15 isn't acknowledge at all...

We use to have regular visits from those that retired... it is a rare occurrence these days...

I also had 480 hours of sick leave that was going away with the change... the 3 managers said they were going to get every hour due and did... I lost mine.

Company dynamics can be a funny thing.

I felt bad for one of the part time hospital admit clerks... she was an outstanding employee and was always there for us... top reviews and highest in patient satisfaction... 14 years on the job.

She was a wonderful baker and would never forget someone's birthday...

Felt really bad for her as there was NOTHING... not even a card on her last day.

I went to the florist and delivered a $75 arrangements thanking her for her years of service... I paid for it myself...

It seems unless you are a Doctor or RN your move to retirement isn't even a blip...

Going back to the 70's the retired nurses would go out once a month for dinner except November and December... they are a very close knit group... most are now gone and no younger ones had the interest.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:43 AM

9,123 posts, read 17,125,688 times
We had a Admin in our office, She started in NYC office when she was 16, as a clerk/typist

We had a RIF and she was be let go as the area she supported (Building Services) was being outsourced to a Vendor. (Interesting all the Building Engineers all moved to the Vendor as part of the contract).

She had Max'ed out her Pension of (80% of her paycheck) years earlier . Turns out the "Layoff" package was better then the "Early" retirement. So "Officially" she did not retire from work, she was Layoff . But we had a Huge Party for her in the Cafe, Cake, Punch, Finger Food.

I understand she got the retirement party money party also, and had a huge dinner for many people... Guess you can put on a nice spread with $5 Grand...

Last edited by flyonpa; 10-19-2018 at 11:09 AM..

Old 10-19-2018, 11:03 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
There one day...
gone the next

35+ yrs employment, no party, no drama.

just GONE (unannounced to co-workers)

Work friends will remain work friends likely for life.

the rest of the zoo... best left behind and not patronized at a going-away-party (?)

I would hate for the evil managers and backstabbers to somehow be 'justified' by offering a farewell handshake. They will sleep / live with their actions, I will sleep with mine. DONE / GONE!

Old 10-19-2018, 11:32 AM

56,004 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
I have continued friendships I acquired during work at a number of my prior workplaces......

Matter of fact I am moving back close to where some of them live and we'll pickup where we left off.

That said - I have no ilusions that some of the friendships I made here at this last job will continue. So many of these people never venture outside their boxes - and frankly are afraid of doing so. That's OK.

Those that still want to be friends and visit? We will welcome them with open arms.
I believe I will ALWAYS be in touch with people I worked with.

I'm having dinner tomorrow night with six women I used to work with. Three of us are retired, one resigned to stay home with her kids, and the other two are still working where we all used to. The one who left was a coworker I hardly knew, but one morning, we decided to go down to the company cafeteria together and grab coffee and breakfast to take back to our desks. We never made it back to our desks because American Airlines Flight No. 11 slammed into our building, and we ran down 43 flights of stairs hand in hand. We are soul sisters now, bound for life and maybe beyond.

I also work part-time in the industry related to what I did in my career, and a lot of people I used to work with are also working post-retirement in the industry, so I see them all the time. I also have lunch or dinner regularly with a couple of men I'd worked with over the years who are doing post-retirement work.

I attend quarterly lunches for retirees from our agency who live in my area, as well.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:32 AM

412 posts, read 261,438 times
I see a lot of bitterness in this thread and feel very fortunate for having worked where I worked. My boss, coworkers, and subordinates were all kind, hard-working professionals who cared about what they were doing and were super supportive when I needed some flexibility to take my parents to doctor appointments. Even with almost 300 employees, there was no politics or back-stabbing. They're a good bunch of people.

I'm happy to see not everyone is bitter and others besides me feel good about their former employer/coworkers.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:01 PM

26 posts, read 55,187 times
After being asked by my boss about what kind of retirement "shin-dig" I would like, I requested a simple and small luncheon with my coworkers and family. I already knew about the plaque and wrist watch that I would receive. I was planning on graciously accepting them and enjoying a final meal with those with whom I had worked for the past several years.

However...

I was blown away with what turned out to be a very humbling and memorable afternoon. Many more people showed up than I was expecting, mainly former colleagues from days gone by, that had been invited without my knowledge. Ultimately, the thoughtfulness and generosity that was was shown to me by my colleagues, former colleagues, and my boss in recognition of my work and time spent in the career field left me with a retirement send-off that I will truly never forget, and I will always look back on that day with an endearing eye.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:06 PM
mlb mlb started this thread

3,179 posts, read 2,852,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
When the company was changing ownership 3 of the 4 senior managers went on medical leave never to return... they had return dates with banners on their office doors and called in that morning and said they are retiring... never came in to pack their offices... 20 to 35 years on the job.

I packed their things and had them delivered...

The Hospital Cook was let go as part of the restructuring... I wanted to do something and was told to let it go... management said she was not taking it well and wanted to avoid drama... 22 years on the job and a favorite of the Docs as she would always whip up something for them in a pinch.

It is a funny thing around here... someone that is here for 4 years gets a big in house send-off and someone here for 15 isn't acknowledge at all...

We use to have regular visits from those that retired... it is a rare occurrence these days...

I also had 480 hours of sick leave that was going away with the change... the 3 managers said they were going to get every hour due and did... I lost mine.

I felt bad for one of the part time hospital admit clerks... she was an outstanding employee and was always there for us... top reviews and highest in patient satisfaction... 14 years on the job.

She was a wonderful baker and would never forget someone's birthday...

Felt really bad for her as there was NOTHING... not even a card on her last day.

I went to the florist and delivered a $75 arrangements thanking her for her years of service... I paid for it myself...

It seems unless you are a Doctor or RN your move to retirement isn't even a blip...

Going back to the 70's the retired nurses would go out once a month for dinner except November and December... they are a very close knit group... most are now gone and no younger ones had the interest.
Wow. Not sure I'd want to be a patient there.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:22 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,442,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

I can't imagine having a get-together or party for someone who is being let go or fired. I think that would be inappropriate and strange. Especially if the get-together would be held in the workplace. But anywhere really.

If people wanted to meet up with the person being let go or fired in their free time away from work, that would seem more appropriate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement