U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 12:23 PM

2,431 posts, read 3,657,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Aside from a few rare exceptions, I've never been personally close with a coworker to where I would want to attend anyway. I'm cordial and polite, but I work on a team where everyone else is 50+. We just don't have a lot in common.

Good point! At age 62 many of my co-workers are younger than my children. Retirement doesn't become an important item for many until their late 40's or early 50's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 12:26 PM

6,544 posts, read 3,650,165 times
Retirement parties are awkward and uncomfortable. I was barely on speaking terms with my boss and, thankfully, she didn't make an appearance at mine. At the same time, another boss was trying to hire me as a part-time contract worker so there was a possibility that I'd still be around and dealing with the same people. (I refused the offer.)

Old 10-19-2018, 12:32 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,247,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I can't imagine having a get-together or party for someone who is being let go or fired. I think that would be inappropriate and strange. Especially if the get-together would be held in the workplace. But anywhere really.

If people wanted to meet up with the person being let go or fired in their free time away from work, that would seem more appropriate.
It was announced to employees she was retiring... she was 65.

I was the one who said I would like to plan her retirement get together and approached management and then learned it was not her decision which did make it awkward...the hospital was going to outsourcing...

So yes... she was retiring but it was not voluntary... I have seen her twice since... she said she liked working and missed the routine... getting up early and preparing food was what she had done for 50 years... not the same when it is just you.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:53 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,440,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

The Hospital Cook was let go as part of the restructuring... I wanted to do something and was told to let it go... management said she was not taking it well and wanted to avoid drama... 22 years on the job and a favorite of the Docs as she would always whip up something for them in a pinch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

It was announced to employees she was retiring... she was 65.

I was the one who said I would like to plan her retirement get together and approached management and then learned it was not her decision which did make it awkward...the hospital was going to outsourcing...

So yes... she was retiring but it was not voluntary... I have seen her twice since... she said she liked working and missed the routine... getting up early and preparing food was what she had done for 50 years... not the same when it is just you.
You first just said she was 'let go', mentioning nothing about being forced to retire or her decision to retire since she was being let go or fired.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:19 PM

13,040 posts, read 15,379,198 times
That's why when I decide to retire I'm just going to give my two week notice and that will be it. I won't announce that I am retiring.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:25 PM

13,313 posts, read 25,542,533 times
I had to give a three-month notice for retirement. I told my supervisor I didn't want any attention to retirement, and she told me it was too bad, that after 30+ years, the hospital was going to give me a retirement celebration. Being night shift, it was a great breakfast in a historic conference room, a great cake, a gift from the hospital. Of course I was afraid that no one would attend, and I was touched beyond description that a great number of people came, including non-night shift people and some people on their days off.
Since there was so much camaraderie among the night shift people, RNs and assistants, it was sheer job to be feted by them. (Administration, well, they had to come. So in my little speech, I pointed out that my assistant are terribly underpaid. The director nervously laughed).

It really helped me to be sent off in such affection. The nature of the job was so intimate and involved and potentially dangerous and we really (mostly) had each other's backs well and long.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:32 PM

At large law firms, support staff (200+ support staff exist) always crowd in avidly wherever there is FOOD for any reason - when it's a firm-wide availability of food or cake or cookies! And left-overs of food or cake or cookies are scooped up as if they have not eaten for DAYS. Free food or cake or cookies is greatly prized, as a diversion from work, and people like the pick-me-up of snacks.

Last edited by matisse12; 10-19-2018 at 01:42 PM..

Old 10-19-2018, 01:51 PM

3,373 posts, read 3,781,240 times
As I got fired, no party for me when I was PLANNING on leaving, the first week of December. One of my supervisors, who was not in on the firing plan, asked me to lunch, where I filled him in on my future plans hubby and I have been planning on for years. I think he was more upset there was no retirement party than he was I got fired!!
Hubby is doing what has been mentioned by others, he's having surgery December 10, using his vacation and disability pay for the next 3 weeks, and not returning to work. So I doubt there's going to be a party for him either!! He hasn't even decided when he's going to tell them he's not coming back.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:56 PM

3,934 posts, read 3,257,479 times
After a twenty year career at a large company, and eating a ton of retirement cake during that time, my own leaving was kind of anti climactic. When one of the upper management types were being axed, the word (joke) went out the he/she was "getting a cake," thereby making any celebratory cake, or any celebration at all, a bit less desirable. Costco cakes were being called "restructuring cake" at a time when upper management was being flushed out at ever increasing numbers in an attempt to "get lean." We ate that cake on a weekly basis until the "retirements" left the company with five thousand less people, and a bunch of overweight, cake eating survivors.

I was approached by one of the women I worked with around the time that my retirement was no longer any real news, she stated that "she knew I didn't want a party," but cheerfully let me know of her and others plans to have one for me anyway. I tried my best to best take it in stride and chalk it up to good intentions on the part of co workers, I did feel honored in a way, knowing that these celebrations were a real job, putting everything together took time and effort, and it's hard to not respect that.

I was a technical lead in the area and knew the entire crew and management on a personal level, so I felt that it wouldn't be appropriate to simply disappear, but that was what most had said they were planning on at their own retirement. For the majority of workers it is a difficult thing to be publicly recognized, for anything, and being asked to speak at these functions was a grueling embarrassment for many. Some were adamant about not wanting a party, they simply wanted to have a chance to say their goodbyes to those they were close to, and then hit the road. But sometimes we just don't get it our way..

Old 10-19-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post

After a twenty year career at a large company, and eating a ton of retirement cake during that time, my own leaving was kind of anti climactic. When one of the upper management types were being axed, the word (joke) went out the he/she was "getting a cake," thereby making any celebratory cake, or any celebration at all, a bit less desirable. Costco cakes were being called "restructuring cake" at a time when upper management was being flushed out at ever increasing numbers[/color] in an attempt to "get lean." We ate that cake on a weekly basis until the "retirements" left the company with five thousand less people, and a bunch of overweight, cake eating survivors.

I was approached by one of the women I worked with around the time that my retirement was no longer any real news, she stated that "she knew I didn't want a party," but cheerfully let me know of her and others plans to have one for me anyway. I tried my best to best take it in stride and chalk it up to good intentions on the part of co workers, I did feel honored in a way, knowing that these celebrations were a real job, putting everything together took time and effort, and it's hard to not respect that.

I was a technical lead in the area and knew the entire crew and management on a personal level, so I felt that it wouldn't be appropriate to simply disappear, but that was what most had said they were planning on at their own retirement. For the majority of workers it is a difficult thing to be publicly recognized, for anything, and being asked to speak at these functions was a grueling embarrassment for many. Some were adamant about not wanting a party, they simply wanted to have a chance to say their goodbyes to those they were close to, and then hit the road. But sometimes we just don't get it our way..
Sounds like passive-aggressive actions to psychologically torture or stick it to people by those insisting on giving parties or good-bye cakes/events for departing workers who specifically state they do not want one.

And passive-aggressive forced embarrassment for those not wanting a get-together or cake when being forced out and let go (fired and getting axed).

Last edited by matisse12; 10-19-2018 at 02:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement