U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 07:32 AM

30,988 posts, read 13,558,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Agree, Costco with progressives wasn't as good as the private doctor and services we now use. He recently got scooped up by Eye Doctor. Other than name quality has still been the same.
The progressives they had at Costco 5 or 6 years ago weren't that great but the new ones are digital and they are excellent. My last pair of glasses were from Kaiser and cost me $400 with their discount ugh, they had zeiss digital progressive lenses but these Costco lenses are better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 07:46 AM

1,362 posts, read 764,777 times
Has anybody tried "Readers.com" for their eyeglasses ?

I went to our local Jackson Davenport optician, and had the most thorough eye exam I've ever had.....the Doc was unhurried and took plenty of time. You know the step where they flip back and forth "Which is better A or B ??" Took the time to step through that.
(I actually had a different optician try to do that step AFTER my eyes had been dilated for another part of the test !! He was so rushed, he didn't want to wait. )

The Jackson Davenport Lab sent back a great pair of eyeglasses. My new fave Optician recommended "Readers" For my second pair. Their website frames looked OK, and priced right. Wondering about their lenses.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:08 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,749 posts, read 54,373,866 times
With so many Cosctos all over, there is likely to be some difference in the quality of the care given to the prescription ny their opticians. We have a long-time family doctor, and take his prescription to Costco. We have always had good luck with their glasses, and especially like their folding magnetic case. Most recently I got some prescription progressive sunglasses, as did my wife, and we got a $30 discount for buying two pair.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
With so many Cosctos all over, there is likely to be some difference in the quality of the care given to the prescription ny their opticians. We have a long-time family doctor, and take his prescription to Costco. We have always had good luck with their glasses, and especially like their folding magnetic case. Most recently I got some prescription progressive sunglasses, as did my wife, and we got a $30 discount for buying two pair.
I agree, I went to the Costco optometrist once about 15 years ago and wasn't all that impressed, but they weren't as bad as the Kaiser optometrist, he gave me a prescription that gave me double vision. First he blamed it on the glasses, Kaiser optical remade them and I had the same problem, then the doctor said it was my imagination. Now I see a UC Davis opthamologist because I have cataracts the eye exam there took almost 3 hours but the prescription for the glasses is perfect, no more double vision!

Old 10-18-2018, 08:28 AM

5,392 posts, read 21,382,389 times
I am pleased with the exams and glasses I get from Costco. It may vary somewhat by location as different contractors are used in each area.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I am pleased with the exams and glasses I get from Costco. It may vary somewhat by location as different contractors are used in each area.
The optometrists are independent but the opticians are Costco employees.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:45 AM

7,595 posts, read 4,674,480 times
I seem to recall hearing that if you already have frames you like, you can get just the new lenses at Costco. Does that sound right?

Old 10-18-2018, 08:51 AM

Yes, I think they charge $18 to use your frames.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:58 AM

676 posts, read 1,327,575 times
I do want progressive lenses, and it's quite a steep progression--very near-sighted and as I age fairly far-sighted. For a while it seemed that the fashion (and only thing available) was a fairly narrow lens. My prescription didn't fit in it. I can remember walking down the street, having just picked up my new glasses and I couldn't see the ground. Had to have them redone.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:05 AM

7,595 posts, read 4,674,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Yes, I think they charge $18 to use your frames.

Thanks. This link echos the $18 charge but points out that the answer to the question is "Maybe..."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Costco/comm...o_optical_for/

Worth a try to save some bucks and reuse beloved frames, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or