U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 09:10 AM

6,063 posts, read 9,524,350 times

Advertisements

DH and I both have our progressives from Costco and are happy with them. And we're picky from having had many years of insurance that let us go to higher-end opticians.

The Costco optometrist - not so much. Ours is unreasonably unaccommodating, even when the problem is on Costco's end.

We go to the Walmart optometrist. But the Walmart opticians is nearly as expensive as our former higher-end opticians. Ridiculous, and I let them know their prices are extremely high (then took my prescription to Costco opticians).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 12:28 PM

6,239 posts, read 4,721,373 times
For those of us who are of retirement age, I believe it is important to have an annual exam by a doctor of ophthalmology. Skip the opticians and the other options.

We have had mixed results for eyeglasses from Costco. My wife had a order where the glasses were incorrectly ground. Hers were way off, but I understand from my ophthalmologist that the tolerances allowed are sit wide and may not be suitable for all users.

I had a pair of glasses from Costco. Apparently the design was not good because the lenses were cracking in the outer corner of the frames. After about less than a year of use, I had the lenses replaced. The same issue occurred again close to a year later. For my next glasses, I decided to get the best. That was over $500 for bifocals was compared with a bit over $100 from Costco. I got top of the line coatings from Crizal. Don't do it. The coatings started to deteriorate in less than a year. Somehow the warranty was a one time only and cost me $25. Now less than a year later the coatings are again deteriorating and I need new glasses not covered by the warranty. I may go back to Costco. If the glasses only last a year or so at least the replacements will be inexpensive or covered by warranty. I am also thinking of trying a pair of cheap Chinese glasses. If they don't work out at least the cost is very minimal.

The cost of eyeglasses is disgusting. Costs should be a fraction of what they are except that there is a monopoly from an Italian company that owns many of the chain distributors, the name brands and much of the manufacturing.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:46 PM

1,830 posts, read 783,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't recommend buying glasses online. I am an optician and although I have worked mostly for private practice and a couple of chain opticals and often the prescription in glasses purchased online is not accurate. Many patients have come to me complaining that the prescription the doctor gave them is wrong, and when I actually measure the online purchased glasses in the lensometer, the prescription the online optical put in them is wrong. It isn't the doctor's fault at all. People frequently choose frames that don't fit their face. And sometimes it is so far off I am shocked the retailer sent them that way. I recommend Costco over online prescription glasses purchases any day. If you have a problem, you can physically take the glasses back to them. And many people are satisfied with them.
We have purchased for years from Zenni and never have they been wrong as prescribed as my eye doctor has measured them. However, I have gotten them previously from the Big Name chains and they have been incorrect.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:52 PM

1,830 posts, read 783,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
Has anybody tried "Readers.com" for their eyeglasses ?

I went to our local Jackson Davenport optician, and had the most thorough eye exam I've ever had.....the Doc was unhurried and took plenty of time. You know the step where they flip back and forth "Which is better A or B ??" Took the time to step through that.
(I actually had a different optician try to do that step AFTER my eyes had been dilated for another part of the test !! He was so rushed, he didn't want to wait. )

The Jackson Davenport Lab sent back a great pair of eyeglasses. My new fave Optician recommended "Readers" For my second pair. Their website frames looked OK, and priced right. Wondering about their lenses.
Prices are so low can't hurt to try a pair and have them evaluated by your optician. As I replied to the post disparaging online glasses we have used Zenni Optical for years and have had no issues with accuracy. My husband has a frame he likes and every time he gets new ones he orders the same pair (boring ;-) ) What I do is go to one of those big box places and just tell them I'm looking and try on pairs, snap a photo and note the measurements that are usually found on the inside arm of the glasses. This makes picking out frames that look nice easier.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:00 PM

10,321 posts, read 9,372,412 times
Have never purchased eyeglasses from Costco; however, my SIL did and related they never were right even though they redid them several times. She said she got 'what she paid for'.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:31 PM

1,184 posts, read 351,583 times
My optometrist gives me a prescription and I get it filled at Costco. BTW, if you aren't happy with them there's no problem with returns. The frame selection isn't as great as some places, that is the only downside I have found. I have reused a couple frames from elsewhere. I like having more than one pair of glasses and sunglasses.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:19 PM

14,692 posts, read 8,476,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
We have purchased for years from Zenni and never have they been wrong as prescribed as my eye doctor has measured them. However, I have gotten them previously from the Big Name chains and they have been incorrect.
Online eyeglass places are usually more accurate if the prescriptions are simple. I still recommend a brick and mortar optical, even the cheapest there is, over an online place. Glasses are a custom prescription item that are designed to fix your vision, and many people have to wear them all the time to be able to legally drive. I am amazed that some people are so frugal they will try to save a buck on something that necessary. Glasses aren't t-shirts or earrings; they aren't even one size fits all antibiotics in which ordering online is extremely reliable. Costco's hi-index progressive lenses with anti reflective coating are only $189. That's a fantastic price, and their patient satisfaction is good. BTW, I have never worked for Costco; I am simply going based on reports from my patients who are no longer members and friends.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
For those of us who are of retirement age, I believe it is important to have an annual exam by a doctor of ophthalmology. Skip the opticians and the other options...
Optometrists should be looking for starting symptoms of glaucoma or macular degeneration or other potential medical issues. If they find suspicious symptoms they should be referring you to an ophthamologist. Opticians will not even be looking for those symptoms. Opticians' job is to help you find and fit frames and order, based on your prescription, the lenses.

But I agree with the serious warning here . . . be sure your optometrist is screening for potential medical problems. If they are not, they are being negligent so look for a different optometrist. In many cases, early detection and treatment can save your eyesight. My optometrist sent me for a referral . . . and I was found to have early glaucoma. (One of my sisters' glaucoma was found only after it had progressed to moderate . . . no bueno!!!)

Old 10-18-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Have never purchased eyeglasses from Costco; however, my SIL did and related they never were right even though they redid them several times. She said she got 'what she paid for'.
This was similar to DH's problem with Costco. The problem turned out to be with their optometrist, who had not correctly prescribed the lenses. He went instead to the optometrist at Walmart, but since their optician is so expensive he brought that prescription back to Costco and got glasses with the correct prescription.

Our Costco optometrist (the professional who measures the eyesight) was unsatisfactory. Our experience with the Costco opticians (who fit the frames and order the lenses based on the prescription) was satisfactory.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:51 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,034,108 times
I tried to get a pair of glasses from Costco this past summer, using a prescription from my ophthalmologist. I have a strong, complex prescription. There were few choices of suitable frames. The optician assured me that the bigger one I liked would be fine, not too heavy, in high index lenses. Although I could see well with them, they were too heavy and Costco said they didn't have the larger nosepads that usually make glasses more wearable for me. I returned them for a full refund, no questions asked, and went back to the regular local place where I had always gone and paid $200 more for a pair. But they had the right size frame for me and my prescription. My sister tried to get trifocals at Costco but they don't sell them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or