U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 10:26 PM

10,812 posts, read 8,058,272 times

Advertisements

I'm a huge Costco fan. But my experience - several years ago - with their optometry prescribing and dispensary unit was less than satisfactory. To this day, it's the only service of theirs that I wouldn't recommend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 05:14 AM

3,964 posts, read 1,693,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Online eyeglass places are usually more accurate if the prescriptions are simple. I still recommend a brick and mortar optical, even the cheapest there is, over an online place. Glasses are a custom prescription item that are designed to fix your vision, and many people have to wear them all the time to be able to legally drive. I am amazed that some people are so frugal they will try to save a buck on something that necessary. Glasses aren't t-shirts or earrings; they aren't even one size fits all antibiotics in which ordering online is extremely reliable. Costco's hi-index progressive lenses with anti reflective coating are only $189. That's a fantastic price, and their patient satisfaction is good. BTW, I have never worked for Costco; I am simply going based on reports from my patients who are no longer members and friends.
I have gotten many online glasses and have been extremely satisfied with them (not the most simple prescription). With Zenni, if your prescription is too complex, the ordering process tells you that what you want is not even possible. Other places will also charge much more for more complex prescriptions. I have not gotten progressives from there, but I have gone to Warby Parker and found them to be quite good other than the lack of anti-reflective coating. I will probably try Costco next time since they have the coating and it sounds like the price is comparable. I have gotten a non-progressive lens from Costco and am satisfied with them. My mom also has a few pairs from Costco and has generally been satisfied but my dad also had the problem with Costco that they do not sell trifocals.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:48 AM

673 posts, read 2,028,289 times
DH spent ages looking for a frame at Costco, then they said it would not fit progressives. Not much choice after that, and he has never been pleased with the frame or the quality if the lens.

My mom had glaucoma, so I go to an ophthalmologist. I buy my glasses at their optical shop, V expensive, but I love the quality. I hate cheap glasses. I’ve been to WM and LC before - but always too heavy, or the lens pop out.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:56 AM

4,479 posts, read 4,739,984 times
I've used Zenni for multiple pairs with different scripts and never had a problem. Price and turn around delivery were great.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:59 AM

4,323 posts, read 880,603 times
I, and my family, have found online places like https://www.zennioptical.com/ great places.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:37 AM

530 posts, read 537,630 times
We believe that the best part of using Costco for eyeglasses is that they will fix any problem we might have with frames or lenses, without having to have an appointment; we can simply drop the problematic piece(s) off, go about our shopping, and come back after whatever time they tell us, and pick them up again.

We especially like that we don't have to pay $400-plus for frames & lenses, per person. Using an outside optometrist and optician, we'd easily spend over $1000 for eyeglasses and sunglasses for both of us.
Granted, the selection of frames leaves a little to be desired. This last time we ordered new prescriptions and frames, the total cost for both of us to have separate eyeglasses & sunglasses, was nearly $700.
I can't complain about that savings ($300+!!) at all!

Old 10-19-2018, 11:39 AM

8,246 posts, read 11,107,651 times
Most people here get their eyeglasses from COSTCO and I've gotten my contacts there for two years. You have to learn their system (the optician and the optometrist are different businesses) but the end result is good.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:46 PM

131 posts, read 46,304 times
I tried Zenni twice with bad results. I guess I did not learn about "fool me once ..." Anyway, last two prescriptions were at Costco and I have progressives with all the bells and whistles. Out of pocket was only $71. I am happy.

ETA: Private doctor where I get the annual exam wanted $300+

Last edited by Rastafellow; 10-19-2018 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: add text

Old 10-19-2018, 01:50 PM

11,122 posts, read 8,531,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafellow View Post
I tried Zenni twice with bad results. I guess I did not learn about "fool me once ..." Anyway, last two prescriptions were at Costco and I have progressives with all the bells and whistles. Out of pocket was only $71. I am happy.

ETA: Private doctor where I get the annual exam wanted $300+
I've had good experiences with Zenni. I'll probably use them for my new glasses in 2019.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:29 PM

6,768 posts, read 3,857,072 times
My progressive tri-focals from Costco are the best I've ever had!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or