U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 09:08 PM

687 posts, read 157,825 times

Advertisements

Believe it or not, I use the local Walmart for glasses and contacts. I’m not really a Walmart fan, but I like the optometrist there, the prices are good, and they have a good selection of frames. Also, my prescription is difficult and they hit it spot-on, no issues.

I had a very bad experience at Costco, but, really, I think it depends on the store. The optometrists are independent contractors, not store employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 11:59 PM

4,691 posts, read 2,541,255 times
Hubby and I both need some new eyeglasses, but we want ALL of the following in each pair:

We each need:

Progressives in high index including anti-glare, Transitions II (or identical high-speed photochromic if there is another brand of photochromic that is as good)

• I also want a pair of computer glasses (ideally high-index, but might consider polycarbonate) that includes all of the above, except no photochromic/Transitions for the computer lenses.

We both like designer titanium frames from Europe or Japan (ProDesign, Cazal, for example), but we have many older pairs which we could use.

What would be the estimate of cost for the above at Costco?

Has anyone else ordered and been pleased with either of the above preferred eyeglasses from Costco?

We get our prescriptions done elsewhere, so need to use Costco's optometrists.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:00 AM

2,867 posts, read 6,403,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I seem to recall hearing that if you already have frames you like, you can get just the new lenses at Costco. Does that sound right?
If the lenses are secured to the frame with the "ribbon" system then Costco can use the frames. At least that is what my experience has been.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:14 AM

30,994 posts, read 13,564,601 times
Frames are reasonably priced at Costco, there were about 15 different frames in the size and style that I was looking for, I bought a Guess frame for $69.99 that was priced at $109 at the two optical shops I had looked at. I checked the price of the frame online and the lowest price it ranged from $152 to $94.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:56 PM

6,465 posts, read 4,066,328 times
My daughter and I have gotten eye exams, prescriptions, and contact lenses from Costco for many years. Never had a single problem.

This year, my daughter needed new glasses, so we had them made at Costco. They were not right--there was severe distortion at the edge of the visual field, and colored halos around anything bright. She tried to get used to them, but they gave her headaches, so we took them back. First, the employee told us that these problems were "normal" for her "strong" prescription (she is nearsighted, but less so than I am, and I have never had those kinds of issues with glasses).

Then, when we declined having the glasses remade but asked to return them, we were told that we could get a refund this time, but my daughter would be put on the black list and never be able to have glasses made at Costco again.

Needless to say, that won't be a problem--we won't go there for glasses again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or