U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 05:10 AM

512 posts, read 634,261 times

Advertisements

Here's what the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles says regarding handicapped plates and placards:

DMV offers parking placards and plates for customers with temporary or permanent disabilities that limit or impair their mobility. They are also available to customers with a condition that creates a safety concern while walking (examples are Alzheimer's disease, blindness or developmental amentia).

Proper Use of Disabled Parking Placards or License Plates
The placard must hang from the rearview mirror when the vehicle is in a disabled parking space.

The holder of the placard must be the driver or a passenger in the vehicle. In addition, the placard holder is required to carry the Disabled Parking Placard Identification Card that is issued with the placard and to present it to a law enforcement officer upon request.

The rules for Disabled Veteran plates aren't very clear. In one place its states that any veteran with a service connected disability may purchase disabled veteran plates. You can be service connected and rated 0%, so how does that justify getting disabled plates? In another place its says that you can add a disabled symbol upon request. So I guess it only counts in VA if you actually have the wheelchair symbol on the disabled veteran plates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 08:20 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,460,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
There may be no easy answer.
Allocate more parking spots to be handicapped parking spots.

Set a higher bar for physicians to issue a placard.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:36 AM

10,768 posts, read 21,390,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post

Agree. Something needs to be done on both counts.

They really need more parking too; especially at larger stores and malls

Old 10-28-2018, 02:09 PM

2,919 posts, read 1,595,504 times
Mom turned 92 last week & a few days later I finally got a permit for her car. She has some arthritic issues that keep her from walking too far plus just plain weakness from age. She wants to go back to driving but that isn't going to happen, she is too high strung & too unobservant at this point, not to mention she would drive at 18mph. But myself & my brother can taxi her around using the permit in either car.

The permit is issued by the township & can be used in any vehicle that she is in, it's a big help.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:24 PM

11,943 posts, read 20,414,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post

And some sort of authentication procedure available to police. A large bar code, and a hand held reader that can read through autoglass and the ability to connect placard with car.

Because out here, reports are a lot of the placards are fake. Not misused real ones ó out and out fake. And a quick look online says itís an issue in NYC, and other urban areas. Maybe the answer is to also make HC placard users pay for parking?

Old 10-28-2018, 05:57 PM

7,295 posts, read 4,166,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
And some sort of authentication procedure available to police. A large bar code, and a hand held reader that can read through autoglass and the ability to connect placard with car.

Because out here, reports are a lot of the placards are fake. Not misused real ones ó out and out fake. And a quick look online says itís an issue in NYC, and other urban areas. Maybe the answer is to also make HC placard users pay for parking?

One of the reasons for a placard instead of a license plate is so it can be moved from vehicle to vehicle. How do you connect a placard to a borrowed car or a rental?

Old 10-28-2018, 07:54 PM

5,621 posts, read 8,562,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Just because one meets the VA's criteria for being considered a disabled vet doesn't mean they meet the state's standard. It doesn't take much to get a 50 percent disability rating from the VA. My neighbor got one for a voluntary hysterectomy. No way would she have qualified for a state handicapped plate or tag. But that's good enough for a state disabled veteran plate. That's why Alaska has two different disabled veteran plates. One for those who meet the VA criteria and one for those who meet the state's criteria. The latter has a wheelchair symbol and only those with the wheelchair symbol can park in handicapped parking spots.
Interesting trivia, but I believe that is covered by my statement that for one of those incidences I was in the state issuing the plate.....
(And in neither state.... I later moved to the other.... Do they have that distinction.)
So while interesting (and I'd support that) it has nothing to do with my story. (As I said, mines the mobility type, and I only use the spaces when I need to.)

Ignorance on the part of the "Law Enforcement Officer" plain and simple.

Old 10-29-2018, 12:52 AM

39,578 posts, read 47,812,904 times
Veterans
For Veterans, there are license plates available with the International Symbol of Access. The rules regarding these license plates vary from state to state, so researching the requirements of your particular state is essential. In the state of Colorado, for example, you must have a disability rating from the Veteran's Administration of at least 50% in order to obtain a Disabled Veteran license plate through the Motor Vehicle Department. In order to obtain a Disabled Veteran plate in any state, you must have a specific form filled out from you physician through the Veteran's Administration.

With your disabled parking placard or plates you can park in any parking place that is designated for a disabled person. Your disabled parking privileges DO NOT mean that you can park where it is prohibited, or in spaces that are reserved for specifically named vehicles, such as state vehicles. Your disabled parking privileges do not mean that you can park wherever you feel like, or where it would present a traffic hazard.

https://www.disabled-world.com/news/...privileges.php

Many vets with disabled license plates may have just been wounded, such as a finger or toe shot off, but are not handicapped. It's initial meaning was a designation that the veteran was wounded in combat, not handicapped. If the plate has the wheelchair emblem then it's okay to park in a handicapped area.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:11 AM

5,621 posts, read 8,562,063 times
None of my disabled vet plates in 2 different states that the DMV have told me are handicapped plates (and as I shared have held up in court) have had the "wheelchair emblem" on them.
They start with "DV" and have "Disabled Veteran" across the bottom.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:43 AM

11,943 posts, read 20,414,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
One of the reasons for a placard instead of a license plate is so it can be moved from vehicle to vehicle. How do you connect a placard to a borrowed car or a rental?
A website you can register plates to. I have Fastrak, a toll transponder. My car had to go in to the shop, I got a rental, registered the new plate as an addition, and I was good to go. In fact, you can register it for a week.

With the transponder, you can register it to multiple cars so you can carry it from car to car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement