U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 03:16 AM

10,700 posts, read 21,356,094 times

Advertisements

So yesterday I went to Walmart which was packed. I waited 5 minutes for an elderly lady to get out of the handicapped spot. I sat there with the directional on, my tag hanging so people can see I'm waiting on her spot. She backs up, I couldn't go anywhere because her car was blocking me from pulling in; as soon as she started moving; some other lady snuck me. She had a van filled with older kids who started laughing at me, cursing me out and giving me the finger. I wish I would have thought to take a pic of her plate and watch her get out but I just wanted to do a quick run in and get out. Now I wonder if she was even handicapped. I figured if I stayed there one of the kids may have come over to my car; didn't want to chance it.

I ended up parking where I normally do; the yellow lines next to handicapped which is illegal. LE don't normally ticket there. By the time I came out, just about every yellow line space was taken so he would have been there 1/2 the day writing tickets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 11:57 AM

3,007 posts, read 2,171,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
So yesterday I went to Walmart which was packed. I waited 5 minutes for an elderly lady to get out of the handicapped spot. I sat there with the directional on, my tag hanging so people can see I'm waiting on her spot. She backs up, I couldn't go anywhere because her car was blocking me from pulling in; as soon as she started moving; some other lady snuck me. She had a van filled with older kids who started laughing at me, cursing me out and giving me the finger. I wish I would have thought to take a pic of her plate and watch her get out but I just wanted to do a quick run in and get out. Now I wonder if she was even handicapped. I figured if I stayed there one of the kids may have come over to my car; didn't want to chance it.

I ended up parking where I normally do; the yellow lines next to handicapped which is illegal. LE don't normally ticket there. By the time I came out, just about every yellow line space was taken so he would have been there 1/2 the day writing tickets.
So if some poor person in a wheelchair with a van with side entry came along there was nowhere for them to park? also If they had already parked and gone in the store and came out, they could not get into there car?
Very thoughtful.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:03 PM

10,700 posts, read 21,356,094 times
No; we don't have that type of lift parking. Those spots have the cars face the store. I'd never park where you're saying. I was in the front where there was plenty of room. I can't say that for everyone else that parked on the yellow. They parked the lift spots in.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:20 PM

1,036 posts, read 520,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I had a friend who has a severely handicapped son, so she has a tag. But she used it when she's out without him, and that's just wrong.

When my daughter was a little girl and friends with her daughter, she came home and told me about it. She was about 7 or 8 at the time. She was upset because Grandpa was disabled and she knew really handicapped people needed those spots.
Yeah, we have a placard for my disabled son, who is still in a stroller in place of a wheelchair ( it’s lighter to transport) but can’t stand or bear any weight for transfer in and out of the vehicle. So we are literally scooting and crawling him over and out into his seating until we get a ramp installed in a year or two. We got the placard precisely because we cannot get his chair next to the vehicle in a normal spot.

But when I am out without him, it doesn’t get used. You never know who might really need that spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement