U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2018, 11:44 AM

4,475 posts, read 3,313,911 times

Advertisements

A lot of people are ignorant about invisible diseases and/or are busybodies. But hey, at least they care about keeping these spots open for disabled people, unlike people who steal the spots or park them in.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 12:44 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
I took a chance today and parked in a handicapped spot!

Had to make an emergency stop at our local dollar store. I usually park on the side of the store but I saw that I would have to walk by a derelict looking person that was sitting against the wall and spitting - eek.

So I whipped around to the front and only open spots were handicapped. I'm allowed to use them, so I did. I quickly went in, got my item and went back out.

By this time the derelict was smoking. Why do they smoke close to the doors?

And the derelict happened to be the manager taking a break! lol I hadn't noticed the nametag the first time.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:58 PM

7,233 posts, read 4,123,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
There was an article in our local paper about this exact scenario. Both disabled, passenger went into store and driver, with valid tag, stayed in the vehicle in a handicapped spot. Code Enforcement informed the driver that if he stayed with the vehicle he was supposed to drop the passenger off at the door and park in a regular spot and pick the passenger up at the door when he came out. Had the driver also gone in, there would have been no problem parking in the handicapped spot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
That is one of the most ridiculous things I ever heard. I think the officer made it up.

One error...the passenger does not appear to be disabled. But when she takes her disabled mother to the store she is expected to drop her off in front and park in a regular spot, so it appears that the same holds true if if both are disabled, but the disabled driver stays with the vehicle. Code enforcement officers don't just make stuff up. They are expected to know the law and apply it in a fair manner.

https://www.frontiersman.com/opinion...9bb2963f4.html

Old 10-19-2018, 01:34 PM

130 posts, read 46,183 times
Some people use the handicap parking fraudulently. At my gym, there was a guy about 45 years old all pumped up on steroids or whatever. He only worked out on weights. Someone would spot him and he would spot others. Real fit with big biceps, pumped chest and arms hanging off the side. Parked right upfront in a handicap spot every time. Now he always used a hanging handicap sign for his Jaguar. The comments were that he did not want to get his high end car scratched and that the tag must belong to a relative. This guy looked and walked better than Schwarzenegger.

Last edited by Rastafellow; 10-19-2018 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: add text

Old 10-19-2018, 01:52 PM

4,431 posts, read 2,606,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I have not notice a problem with people seeing me park but do have a problem with people parking where they should not.

In some states you do not have a plate on the front of the car.

I would not worry about it and would not feel I have to use the hang tag.

If you do not have a plate on the front of your car then using the hang tag at events would be helpful.
I live in NY, we have plates on BOTH front and back. STILL at events or amusement parks in NY traffic directirs WON'T direct you to handicapped as they seem to not look at the front plate, only looking fir hangtags.

Nearby PA, where we frequently travel to events, they DONT have front plates.There i would not expect them to look for the front plate, as tyey aren't used to it being there.

When we get near to the event in NY we put up the hangtag so anyone can clearly see it. Shouldn't have to, but apparently we need to.

The plates technically trump the hangtag, but the hangtag is just as important.

Since both of us are handicapped, even if my spouse stays or i stay, we should be able to park. Some places, like walmart, if you are parked in God's country, you may not see when the handicapped person cones back out.

And tgere is definitely plenty of people who park who shouldn't, and THEY are tye ones tgat stupid gentleman should be worried about. We may have laws similar to Alaskaeric's that maybe the gentleman was calling attention to my OH for. Who knows. My OH said he didnt cone from the other handicapped spaces, he came fronm behind, where the regular spaces are, and tyere were other handicapped spaces available.

Another thing that annoys me is places like home depot habe now dedicated the first foremost space to Veterans, superceeding the handicapped spaces. I pulled in once just as a manager from one of the other small businesses my works owners had. He is 26, IS a military veteran but he just whipped his BMW into that spot hopped out and skipped into the store. I had to park another space away, and i use a cane to walk. Im going to have to call DMV to find out if that is legal. Not ALL VETS are older or have a disability. Thisecthat DO have a disability can get the plates or hangtag just like i did. I WOULD have been a vet if the airforce would not have denied me due to my having asthma.

Theres no easy answer. And sometimes as soneone mentioned , the handicapped spaces arent so handy what with everyone wanting one, being in the front where traffic congregates, etc.

My dear departed mother had progressive MS ( think Annette Funicello) . It was before the ADA and parking meant pushing her wheelchair from gods country to the store as they didnt have handicapped spaces yet. When they first did, the spaces were at first all together, now they space them for vans with lifts. Still not always convenient for some lifts. When us kids were with her, dad could drop us off and go park, but when alone with her, he couldnt do that, so had to park in a handicapped place. I was 9 when she first started using tge wheelchair, and by age 13 she was wheelchair bound.

Old 10-19-2018, 02:37 PM

6,345 posts, read 7,822,618 times
I just came home from the store and spittin' mad at the whole handicapped parking charade.

I have COPD, on Oxygen 24/7, also have difficulty walking too far, but I try. I have a hang-tag and when I get to the store, I hope to find one of the blue spaces. If not, I hope to find a space close enough to not exhaust me before I reach the entrance. Today, I couldn't find a blue spot but I really needed to get a few items so it wasn't a "turn around and go home and try again tomorrow" day. (I have had that happen)

I noticed, as I made my way across the parking lot, an elderly man sitting in the car in a blue spot with a hang tag. He was still sitting there when I came out of the store. Apparently, his passenger was in the store. Why in bloody he!! couldn't he have parked in a regular spot waiting for her/him to come out?

Yes, if you're going to stay in the car, there is no need to park in a blue spot! Most of us have a cell 'phone we can call the driver to say, "Pull up to the door, Sweetie, I'm coming out now."

I don't know if anyone has ever given me the stink-eye because I don't look around to see who's watching. Besides, with my oxygen pack, I think they probably realize I'm entitled to the tag. And If they don't, pffft.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:09 PM

7,233 posts, read 4,123,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Another thing that annoys me is places like home depot habe now dedicated the first foremost space to Veterans, superceeding the handicapped spaces. I pulled in once just as a manager from one of the other small businesses my works owners had. He is 26, IS a military veteran but he just whipped his BMW into that spot hopped out and skipped into the store. I had to park another space away, and i use a cane to walk. Im going to have to call DMV to find out if that is legal. Not ALL VETS are older or have a disability. Thisecthat DO have a disability can get the plates or hangtag just like i did. I WOULD have been a vet if the airforce would not have denied me due to my having asthma.

Theres no easy answer. And sometimes as soneone mentioned , the handicapped spaces arent so handy what with everyone wanting one, being in the front where traffic congregates, etc.

I can assure you the veteran's parking spots at my local Home Depot are much further away than the handicapped ones. Sounds like someone at your location didn't think things out.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:16 PM

4,431 posts, read 2,606,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I can assure you the veteran's parking spots at my local Home Depot are much further away than the handicapped ones. Sounds like someone at your location didn't think things out.
Hmm. Im going to look into it.
Ill check with the local govt first.

I DO realize that sone vets are elderly and some are disabled. But they should also have the plates and hangtag.

And i appreciate their service.

I would be a vet if i wasnt turned down when i volunteered for the air force if id kept quiet about the asthma inhaler i use. Of course its likely theyd soon find out.

No young whippersnapper, just because he did serve, should get priority if hes in fine health.

At least imo.

Old 10-20-2018, 06:19 AM

12,683 posts, read 14,063,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafellow View Post
Some people use the handicap parking fraudulently. At my gym, there was a guy about 45 years old all pumped up on steroids or whatever. He only worked out on weights. Someone would spot him and he would spot others. Real fit with big biceps, pumped chest and arms hanging off the side. Parked right upfront in a handicap spot every time. Now he always used a hanging handicap sign for his Jaguar. The comments were that he did not want to get his high end car scratched and that the tag must belong to a relative. This guy looked and walked better than Schwarzenegger.
It doesn't take much to key a car on the way. I hear.

Old 10-20-2018, 06:29 AM

12,683 posts, read 14,063,903 times
....The first complaining woman decided that response was more to complain about and decided she would confide in me and kept grumbling as if I agreed with her. Her husband was quiet the whole time and ignored her. I told her I didn't care and there were plenty of spaces. The entire encounter was simply caused by this woman's self-appointed role as judge of the universe. Some people get out of bed for this.[/quote]

I like that - what I put in bold.

Biddies and bulliies used to be called the the Minions of Satan in Ye Good Olde Days and got a free ride in the ducking pond or a day in the stocks. Better than YouTube.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement