U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 06:35 AM

10,705 posts, read 21,360,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
I have the plate and hangtag in case we have to rent a car etc...I have arthritis and back issues.
I've never had anyone say anything to me. The problem is there are a lot of people that abuse this and park in handicap and they don't care. I spoke to a Police Officer one day that was actually giving out tickets for it and she said a lot of people also use someone else's hangtag like from the parents, grandparents etc... and it will result in that person not being able to have a handicapped plate or tag again if caught. The problem is...according to the Officer, they don't have enough people to check on this very often so most get away with it. It's a real problem here, I see it a lot and like the officer said, if a young person whips in and hops out with all his friends, chances are slim to none that they are handicapped. Most of the ones I see don't have a plate or hangtag.
My biggest gripe is people who use it and have a tag but run into a store. I have a hard time believing they're handicapped. I see it a lot at my convenience store. Why park there when you can park in a different close spot?

One day all the spots were taken, even the handicapped by an older guy who had a younger kid jump out. I don't know why I didn't say something when I was sure to walk by his car so he could see me walking slow with my cane. I really regretted not taking a pic of his handicap plate and next time I see it I will.

There's one store I go to and was there yesterday, Shop Rite, they have 7 handicapped spots that are always taken. Obviously they need more. They have 2 purple heart that's never parked in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 07:29 AM

15,149 posts, read 19,763,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafellow View Post
Some people use the handicap parking fraudulently...

A former close friend (I stopped being friends with her because of what follows) had a husband who was dying of cancer. For the last year of his life, he was too sick to go anywhere except the doctor/hospital -- and, although she herself was very healthy, she used his handicapped plaquard all the time when she was out by herself. She even used it after he died, until it expired -- and, even then, she continued to use it. She did finally get a ticket for displaying an expired plaquard. But, unfortunately, there are very few parking lots that have someone patrolling to check the validity of cars parking in handicapped spots -- and she used it frequently at places where she knew there was no one checking..

Old 10-20-2018, 09:21 AM

7,257 posts, read 4,143,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
It doesn't take much to key a car on the way. I hear.

So two wrongs make a right? Parking in a handicapped parking spot is an infraction. Keying a car can wind up being a misdemeanor. We pay people to deal with hanicap parking space violators. All you have to do is drop a dime and provide the info.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:24 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,442,710 times
A local Costco has one handicapped spot with a large prominent sign that says "Reserved for the EXCLUSIVE use of a van or other vehicle with a side loading ramp for a wheelchair" (or words to that effect.)

That spot is always occupied by self-important people, none of which have such a vehicle: maybe a Kia Rio or a Toyota Corolla. Or maybe a jacked-up F150.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:32 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,442,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
My biggest gripe is people who use it and have a tag but run into a store. I have a hard time believing they're handicapped. I see it a lot at my convenience store. Why park there when you can park in a different close spot?

One day all the spots were taken, even the handicapped by an older guy who had a younger kid jump out. I don't know why I didn't say something when I was sure to walk by his car so he could see me walking slow with my cane. I really regretted not taking a pic of his handicap plate and next time I see it I will.

There's one store I go to and was there yesterday, Shop Rite, they have 7 handicapped spots that are always taken. Obviously they need more. They have 2 purple heart that's never parked in.
I shake my head when I see roided gym rat with a lifted Escalade or maybe a Tahoe with huge mud tires & off-road motorcycles in the bed jump out. But of course they have a placard.

Old 10-20-2018, 10:24 AM

3,007 posts, read 2,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I shake my head when I see roided gym rat with a lifted Escalade or maybe a Tahoe with huge mud tires & off-road motorcycles in the bed jump out. But of course they have a placard.
Yes they have "someone's" placard!

In MA the placard has your picture on it, however there were complaints about privacy when they did that and so each placard comes with a small plastic sleeve which covers the picture, but can be removed for police inspection.

Personally I believe they ALL should have pictures and uncovered, no names perhaps but the picture.

Old 10-20-2018, 10:29 AM

56,087 posts, read 54,581,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
A former close friend (I stopped being friends with her because of what follows) had a husband who was dying of cancer. For the last year of his life, he was too sick to go anywhere except the doctor/hospital -- and, although she herself was very healthy, she used his handicapped plaquard all the time when she was out by herself. She even used it after he died, until it expired -- and, even then, she continued to use it. She did finally get a ticket for displaying an expired plaquard. But, unfortunately, there are very few parking lots that have someone patrolling to check the validity of cars parking in handicapped spots -- and she used it frequently at places where she knew there was no one checking..
I had a friend who has a severely handicapped son, so she has a tag. But she used it when she's out without him, and that's just wrong.

When my daughter was a little girl and friends with her daughter, she came home and told me about it. She was about 7 or 8 at the time. She was upset because Grandpa was disabled and she knew really handicapped people needed those spots.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:14 AM

3,044 posts, read 4,016,359 times
Jim Carrey in the film "Me, Myself, and Irene" said it all when he starts eating the fabric and dismantling the guys' car in the Handicapped spot when in reality the guy was going inside the store to get his client in a wheelchair and on an oxygen bottle.

Old 10-20-2018, 12:01 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,036,207 times
It may come as a surprise to some of the posters to know that not all handicapped people have a mobility impairment. There are other reasons to have handicapped plates. The guy at the gym may have another kind of disability.

Old 10-20-2018, 12:11 PM

10,705 posts, read 21,360,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
It may come as a surprise to some of the posters to know that not all handicapped people have a mobility impairment. There are other reasons to have handicapped plates. The guy at the gym may have another kind of disability.
Like what? They can work out but not walk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement