U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 01:49 PM

56,022 posts, read 54,523,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
We have an ongoing "Stand your ground" case here in Florida over a handicap parking spot. A woman and a man parked in a handicap spot and another man confronted the woman driver over the illegal parking while the husband was in the store. When the man came out of the store and saw the man confronting his wife, he went over to the man and pushed him to the ground. The complainant pulled out his pistol and shot the woman's husband! They have since charged the man for first degree murder as he was the aggressor in this instance. They have not started the trial as yet.

I would not confront anyone over these parking spots. I would just ignore them and give them pity for being a moron.

I have a TAG and as yet to have anyone challenge me. I can walk, but I do not have full use of my left leg. I have to position it with my arms to get in and out of the vehicle. I have often given up my handicap spot for wheel chair vans or more severely handicapped than I.
I saw the video of the incident in the Current Events forum. Dead over a parking space.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:00 PM

3,431 posts, read 1,527,565 times
I knew a very obese guy with a Corvette and handicapped tags. He could walk around just fine. With my arthritis, it was very difficult to even get OUT of that car (which I love; used to have one). I never did find out what his supposed handicap was. Very disconcerting; him parking in those spaces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 02:54 PM

4,431 posts, read 2,608,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I knew a very obese guy with a Corvette and handicapped tags. He could walk around just fine. With my arthritis, it was very difficult to even get OUT of that car (which I love; used to have one). I never did find out what his supposed handicap was. Very disconcerting; him parking in those spaces.
You CAN be considered disabled for being very obsese. And no, its not easy to walk carrying all that extra weight. Ask me how i know ...i was 300 poubds, but because of turning diabetic, i had to radically change my diet, and have lost 75 pounds in a year so far. Its harder to lose now beyond this point.

But i agree with you, i have enough trouble getting in and out of our Hyundai Elantra, let alone trying to sit down onto the ground into a sports car, and god help me to try and get out.

We looked at a chevy Cruise and i got in it alright, but needed help to get out if it.we knew that that car was NOT for us.

The Elantra was easier to get in and out of in '14 when we bought it new, then it is for either of us today. My OH drives it. I have trouble getting out of the passenger side, but have less trouble getting out of the driver's side, i think because i can use the steering wheel to aid in getting out.

I drive a kia Sedona minivan, much easier to get in and out of. Is it any wonder we use it when we go somewhere together?
For shorter distant day trips due to the higher cost of gas now, we take the 38mpg Elantra. But for very long trips we always take the minivan, even though we MIGHT be lucky to get 18mpg. Its eaiser to get in and out of, "sits " more confortably, and is by far easier to load luggage and travel trappings in.

My FIL, who also has handicapped plates at 90, went and bought an Elantra because he "liked ours so much," and after an accident he had one as a rental he "lijed so much". Now he complains about not being able to get out of it well, a thing we told him hed have trouble doing. Now he hates the car, but then again he hates driving, hates roads, hates everything nowadays.

Id live to get a red Porsche 944 turbo, the only sports car i ever liked in my 20s, but i know if i got into the darn thing, id never be able to get out of it!!!

Old 10-21-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
We have an ongoing "Stand your ground" case here in Florida over a handicap parking spot. A woman and a man parked in a handicap spot and another man confronted the woman driver over the illegal parking while the husband was in the store. When the man came out of the store and saw the man confronting his wife, he went over to the man and pushed him to the ground. The complainant pulled out his pistol and shot the woman's husband! They have since charged the man for first degree murder as he was the aggressor in this instance. They have not started the trial as yet.

I would not confront anyone over these parking spots. I would just ignore them and give them pity for being a moron.

I have a TAG and as yet to have anyone challenge me. I can walk, but I do not have full use of my left leg. I have to position it with my arms to get in and out of the vehicle. I have often given up my handicap spot for wheel chair vans or more severely handicapped than I.
That "Stand your ground" law is causing more trouble than its worth.

The man who shot the husband should be put UNblindfolded in front of a firing squad and shot to death. Just kidding as that doesnt solve the problem.

As soon as he saw a lady i the drivers seat, HE should have gone on his way, especially if she was elderly.

Oh well, if enough people get shot and enough of the shooters go to prison for murder, "stand your ground" or not, maybe they'll learn there are times to walk away. Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe only on a good day when the moon is full over a pumpkin patch.

Ill have to see if NY peanalizes a driver, handicapped or not in the drivers seat while in a space while the handicapped individual goes into the store. It is reasonable that it could be, but if that petson is also handicapped tyey may have to leave the car and go in themselves.

In my original posted case, as i was coming out the door, my OH was going in , having decided to go to the restroom while i was in there.

I wonder what would have happened if i had been sutting in the passenger's seat while my OH was in there and the guy came by. Besides the fact i would have hopped out with my cane in hand ( makes a great weapon!!!), and still given him a what for. As someone earlier posted, the first thing would have been admonishing him for touching my van.

Since we both have handicapped plates and hangtags we are used to always being able to park in the handicapped spaces, no qualms at all.

The sad fact is i think more peopke who ARE valid holders get mire flack than those who are mususing the system and are quite well able to walk anywhere they want.

After my mother passed, my father turned in the plates as she was no longer alive let alone with him. He at 84 is now thinking about getting them again, due to his age and getting to where walking is more difficult. He mows the lawn in pieces, then rests between. Same with snow shovelling .

There may be no easy answer.

Old 10-21-2018, 05:06 PM

4,359 posts, read 3,694,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
If you're talking to me I don't need to. My daughter has enough of them, so does my grandson and myself. None of us are working out in a gym. What invisible disability would allow a person to work out but not walk far?
No ability to use legs but can still do exercises on equipment not requiring the legs.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:10 PM

2,575 posts, read 4,688,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Well....yes!

My father was hit by a car 10 years ago while he was walking across the street. Broke his spine and legs and now he has a spinal cord injury and is paraplegic. He uses a wheelchair some, but he can also ambulate (they don't call it walking.... per se) with crutches and braces on both legs.

But he loves working out in the gym. Surprising to many, his strong upper body and determination helps him get from machine to machine, use the weights etc... He has often gone to the gym in his wheelchair, then rolls up to the machine/table etc... and transfers onto the machine to exercise. It's amazing what you can do with a strong upper body alone. Even with a weak upper body, there's a lot you can do....
I can see in your dad's case where a strong upper body would help a lot with things like transferring himself into the shower, onto the bed and toilet, etc. without needing so much assistance from others.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:57 PM

I think the issue the poster made about the "roided gym rats" WAS valid.

I do believe the poster was referring to the Arnold Swartzenneger types....you know the younger, possibly on illegal steroids , who's got not just a 6 pack, But an 8 pack, whose legs are as big as dolphins, whose bicepts are measuring bigger than their waist does, who run around in a garment containing less fabric than a Speedo that purports to cover their er, um "equipment " (and i dont mean the equipment they work out on).

Those individuals CERTAINLY SHOULD be able to walk to the building...unless their muscles are so worn out from all that working out that they cant walk.

I dont believe the poster was referring to those who workout to improve their upper body strength so they can transfer themselves to a chair or toilet.

I also dont imagine the poster was referring to the elderly who go for a light workout just to keep up their basic strength to actually be able to move. Half of them probably also have a legitimate handicapped plate or hangtag as well.

Old 10-22-2018, 03:46 AM

5,619 posts, read 8,548,332 times
I have DV plates, I also look very healthy and fit... And there are days I can barely walk (foot and spine surgeries.) On those days.... I use the spaces.

I've had a few people chew my "butt" about parking in a handicapped zone.

I always stand there quietly and take it.
Then I pull my (medically) retired Military ID out, a (or several) pill bottles, then I start talking in depth about my injuries, 4 surgeries, and offer to show them my $400 orthotics and my scars...

They are about 6 inches tall by the time I let them off the hook.
I think it's pretty fun.
(I'll admit pre injury I sometimes thought: 'he doesn't LOOK hurt' but I never said anything!)

I once got to REALLY tear into a TSA agent in an airport who was hassling me over my cane (standing in one place is harder on me than walking, so when there is lines I use a cane.) Asking if he wanted a ADA lawsuit made.my flight!
...not what people expect from someone who looks like he could still be on active duty!

Old 10-22-2018, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I have DV plates, I also look very healthy and fit... And there are days I can barely walk (foot and spine surgeries.) On those days.... I use the spaces.

Then I pull my (medically) retired Military ID out, a (or several) pill bottles, then I start talking in depth about my injuries, 4 surgeries, and offer to show them my $400 orthotics and my scars...

I think it's pretty fun.
(I'll admit pre injury I sometimes thought: 'he doesn't LOOK hurt' but I never said anything!)

I once got to REALLY tear into a TSA agent in an airport who was hassling me over my cane (standing in one place is harder on me than walking, so when there is lines I use a cane.) Asking if he wanted a ADA lawsuit made.my flight!
...not what people expect from someone who looks like he could still be on active duty!
Yes.

Ive had 20 surgeries, #21 is delayed so far.

I also take 18 prescription drugs to keep this old body going.

I have 25 chronic continuous medical issues.

I too, have orthodically made for my feet shoes. They look fairly normal, but the insoles are made for my feet and get changed every 3 months.

I lookfairly "normal", except the cane. Unless you are watchibg me try to get in and out of the Hyundai. Some days like wet days the pain is so bad even getting in and out of my minivan can be a challenge.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:52 PM

3,688 posts, read 1,866,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post

I think it's pretty fun.

I have the page from the State of Texas website that quotes DV plates can park in handicap spots and put it in my windshield when I take my husband somewhere when he has to go inside (store, etc.)....

I would NEVER EVER use it for myself. I am the crazy person who parks far from the store and walks in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement