U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 03:16 PM

11,941 posts, read 20,410,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
That's what I thought at first too. A couple of them were interviewed and more or less said they were too important to walk to the event. I was going to say with the regular people but tickets cost thousands per person so there weren't too many average people there.
In the San Francisco Bay Area illegal use of handicapped hang tags is rampant. And pretty much, they arenít legally issued, theyíre fakes. They constantly run sting operations.

https://www.oaklandca.gov/news/2018/...d-abuse-stings

Old 10-22-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I have the page from the State of Texas website that quotes DV plates can park in handicap spots and put it in my windshield when I take my husband somewhere when he has to go inside (store, etc.)....

I would NEVER EVER use it for myself. I am the crazy person who parks far from the store and walks in.
Wait, wait...DV plates is Disabled Veteran, right? What part of disabled isnít connecting up with handicapped in peopleís minds? A DV plate would be the same as a handicapped, wouldnít it, except, that the disabling event happened while in service, right?

How have people gotten so dumb that we canít connect this.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:02 PM

563 posts, read 405,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Wait, wait...DV plates is Disabled Veteran, right? What part of disabled isn’t connecting up with handicapped in people’s minds? A DV plate would be the same as a handicapped, wouldn’t it, except, that the disabling event happened while in service, right?

How have people gotten so dumb that we can’t connect this.
Yeah. But you might be surprised if you look up the myriad conditions that qualify someone as a disabled vet (and therefore make them eligible for a DV tag in Texas). I guess my gripe is that the DV plate shouldn't be used for parking unless the disability would qualify for an actual handicapped placard. For what it's worth, I'm a veteran myself, and have worked for the military my entire adult life... so I'm not hating on vets. And I understand that some disabilities may not be obvious. But if you're running marathons or riding your bike 100 miles every weekend, save that spot for somebody that needs it.

Last edited by Seguinite; 10-22-2018 at 04:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 10:05 PM

7,288 posts, read 4,162,134 times
Quote:
Wait, wait...DV plates is Disabled Veteran, right? What part of disabled isnít connecting up with handicapped in peopleís minds? A DV plate would be the same as a handicapped, wouldnít it, except, that the disabling event happened while in service, right?

It depends on the state. A lot of people get a 50 percent disability rating, which entitles them to a disabled veteran plate in Alaska. That doesn't necessarily mean they qualify for a handicapped parking spot. We have two types of disabled veteran plates in Alaska...those with the wheelchair symbol and those without. Only the ones with the wheelchair symbol can park in a handicapped spot.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:33 PM

5,440 posts, read 2,770,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
If you're talking to me I don't need to. My daughter has enough of them, so does my grandson and myself. None of us are working out in a gym. What invisible disability would allow a person to work out but not walk far?
Depression. Fibromyalgia. Lyme disease. Lupus. Narcolepsy. To name a few.

Many diseases are sporadic, meaning you can feel good one day but not the next. The way my back is, I could work out if I didn't have to stand to do it. So you'd see me getting out of my car in a handicapped space and walking into the gym with no problems. Then if I sat down to exercise, I'd look perfectly healthy. And if I didn't have to stand for too long before leaving, I'd look perfectly healthy coming out of the gym as well.

One of the things that was recommended for my back was swimming. So you'd see the same thing if you saw me enter of leave a YMCA with a pool. I'd look perfectly healthy coming and going.

But if you were to accompany me to a grocery store or someplace where I had to stand in line, you'd see me fall to pieces. The pain becomes so bad, even leaning on something doesn't help. I've had to sit down on the floor while waiting to check out in grocery stores before. If I try to stick it out, the pain has me sweating buckets.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post

Many diseases are sporadic, meaning you can feel good one day but not the next. The way my back is, I could work out if I didn't have to stand to do it. So you'd see me getting out of my car in a handicapped space and walking into the gym with no problems. Then if I sat down to exercise, I'd look perfectly healthy. And if I didn't have to stand for too long before leaving, I'd look perfectly healthy coming out of the gym as well.

One of the things that was recommended for my back was swimming. So you'd see the same thing if you saw me enter of leave a YMCA with a pool. I'd look perfectly healthy coming and going.

But if you were to accompany me to a grocery store or someplace where I had to stand in line, you'd see me fall to pieces. The pain becomes so bad, even leaning on something doesn't help. I've had to sit down on the floor while waiting to check out in grocery stores before. If I try to stick it out, the pain has me sweating buckets.
I can do short grocery lines, but beyond that, Iím sitting. The standing thing is hard for people to get. I easily walk, because keeping mobile doesnít bother me. But Iíve had to tell people over and over I canít stand for any length of time and they just refuse to get it. Till for what ever reason it happens, and then I walk so slowly and woodenly and gasping from the knees locking, and back spasming.

Itís not like people are unreasonable, itís like itís not something they deal with so they donít go out of their way to remember.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:37 AM

5,431 posts, read 3,458,283 times
Quote:

I can do short grocery lines, but beyond that, I’m sitting. The standing thing is hard for people to get. I easily walk, because keeping mobile doesn’t bother me. But I’ve had to tell people over and over I can’t stand for any length of time and they just refuse to get it.
I agree that lots of people are not aware of how standing can be very painful, for even more than 1 or 2 minutes too. And add painful walking during any walking at all - the combination..... A person with these two problems can workout in a gym by going quickly between machines or weights where one sits at all of them - yet doesn't appear to have obvious handicaps.

Last edited by matisse12; 10-24-2018 at 01:46 AM..

Old 10-24-2018, 08:21 AM

2,303 posts, read 2,688,788 times
Quote:

How does depression prevent someone from walking to and from their car?

Old 10-24-2018, 08:59 AM

3,697 posts, read 1,877,339 times
Quote:

My husband is a disabled Vietnam veteran. He has many issues the inhibit walking long distances. In Texas if you have a DV plate you do not need an additional placard.

https://gov.texas.gov/organization/d...ities/veterans

From the site:

Provides that veterans with special ďdisabled veteranĒ license plates may park in accessible parking spaces and may park for free at parking meters. Such plates need not show the international accessibility symbol.

Old 10-26-2018, 03:24 AM

10,757 posts, read 21,385,626 times
Quote:

Look up "So you think you have EDS" and if you can't find it, I can probably send you a PDF copy. You probably have a connective tissue disorder which is wrongly diagnosed as fibro, especially if you used to be very flexible as a kid.

Only comes as you tube but I got it from this site many years ago. Will keep looking

https://issuu.com/markmartino8/docs/...oumighthaveeds

https://themighty.com/2018/01/ehlers...ymptoms-signs/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement