U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 06:54 AM

1,276 posts, read 597,982 times

Advertisements

I had a disease that impacted my mobility. I purposely parked as far from front doors as I could to force myself to walk. Moving was beneficial for my condition and I eventually recovered. I am keenly aware from that experience what lengths many people go to in order to appear normal even though they are coping with a disability. I would be walking as normally as I could, but anyone looking closely could probably tell I was struggling. My point is that conditions are not always readily apparent and we should not be so quick to judge. On the other hand, no one should be taking up handicapped spaces that they don't really need. If you are able-bodied, get a Fitbit and make parking far from the store a way to get in some extra steps instead of avoiding that tiny bit of exercise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 06:55 AM

2,303 posts, read 2,689,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Depression. Fibromyalgia. Lyme disease. Lupus. Narcolepsy. To name a few.

Many diseases are sporadic, meaning you can feel good one day but not the next. The way my back is, I could work out if I didn't have to stand to do it. So you'd see me getting out of my car in a handicapped space and walking into the gym with no problems. Then if I sat down to exercise, I'd look perfectly healthy. And if I didn't have to stand for too long before leaving, I'd look perfectly healthy coming out of the gym as well.

One of the things that was recommended for my back was swimming. So you'd see the same thing if you saw me enter of leave a YMCA with a pool. I'd look perfectly healthy coming and going.

But if you were to accompany me to a grocery store or someplace where I had to stand in line, you'd see me fall to pieces. The pain becomes so bad, even leaning on something doesn't help. I've had to sit down on the floor while waiting to check out in grocery stores before. If I try to stick it out, the pain has me sweating buckets.
I'm still wondering how depression can prevent someone from walking back and forth to their car necessitating a handicap hanger or plate.

Anyway, I was also thinking about what you said about standing in line causing you so much pain that you sometimes have to sit on the floor. That's just awful! As I was thinking about it, I came up with something that you might want to consider - a sitting cane or cane stool, as they are sometimes called. I understand from your post, that walking doesn't seem to be an issue for you, so you probably don't need a cane, but the stool part might come in very handy. There are many different types of them. Some of them, like the one you'll see in my attached link, come with a curved open handle. If you got one of those, you could hang it on your grocery cart and then while you were waiting in line, you could open it up and use it as a place to sit. Much better than having to sit on the floor.

Just a suggestion that I hope maybe you or someone else with a similar problem, might find helpful.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Travelon-...yABEgKkoPD_BwE

Old 10-26-2018, 09:29 AM

567 posts, read 268,889 times
I thought I'd share what happened to us yesterday. We have handicapped plates and we were at the grocery store. I was on my mobility scooter waiting on my husband to help me in the car while he put cold things in the cooler with ice. We'd made a trip to a bigger store that carries things we can't get at home that's 45 minutes away. A lady in a SUV pulled up close behind us in Handicapped and screamed out the window, HURRY UP. If she has moved another few inches she would have hit me. My husband is a quite man that never shows any sign of a temper but he intentionally slowed down just because she was rude and crass. The ONLY reason one of us didn't go over and have a word of prayer with her was because a lot of people in Texas carry. I figured by what she did that her cheese might have slid off her cracker and a nut with a gun is a dangerous thing. What was really strange is that 2 other handicapped spaces opened up but she remained behind us running her mouth. I don't generally like to talk nasty about people but in cases like this....I think her handicap was just being a jerk.

Anyway, it was hard backing out because she was so close, so we sat there till someone beeped and she backed up. Once we moved she whipped in and guess what, no plate, no placard. My husband was curious by her behavior and drove around to look.

Old 10-26-2018, 09:36 AM

10,766 posts, read 21,390,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
I thought I'd share what happened to us yesterday. We have handicapped plates and we were at the grocery store. I was on my mobility scooter waiting on my husband to help me in the car while he put cold things in the cooler with ice. We'd made a trip to a bigger store that carries things we can't get at home that's 45 minutes away. A lady in a SUV pulled up close behind us in Handicapped and screamed out the window, HURRY UP. If she has moved another few inches she would have hit me. My husband is a quite man that never shows any sign of a temper but he intentionally slowed down just because she was rude and crass. The ONLY reason one of us didn't go over and have a word of prayer with her was because a lot of people in Texas carry. I figured by what she did that her cheese might have slid off her cracker and a nut with a gun is a dangerous thing. What was really strange is that 2 other handicapped spaces opened up but she remained behind us running her mouth. I don't generally like to talk nasty about people but in cases like this....I think her handicap was just being a jerk.

Anyway, it was hard backing out because she was so close, so we sat there till someone beeped and she backed up. Once we moved she whipped in and guess what, no plate, no placard. My husband was curious by her behavior and drove around to look.
Did you get her plate number? I'd report her for parking there and would have taken a photo too once she left the car.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:06 AM

512 posts, read 634,261 times
When it comes time for either my wife or I to get handicap plates and/or placards (and I'm sure that at least one of us will get them in the next few years), I will gladly use them and I won't give a damn if somebody thinks I don't "look" like I need them. And I'll feel absolutely no need to explain my conditions to them.

I'll admit, I've had bad thoughts about some people who didn't "look" like they were handicapped, but I would never confront anyone about it. It's not my job to police their behavior.

Old 10-26-2018, 04:53 PM

11,941 posts, read 20,414,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
When it comes time for either my wife or I to get handicap plates and/or placards (and I'm sure that at least one of us will get them in the next few years), I will gladly use them and I won't give a damn if somebody thinks I don't "look" like I need them. And I'll feel absolutely no need to explain my conditions to them.

I'll admit, I've had bad thoughts about some people who didn't "look" like they were handicapped, but I would never confront anyone about it. It's not my job to police their behavior.
Had a dear friend who used her husband’s placard for him. He had a bad stroke, and had limited mobility, and used the gym at the PT for therapy. She’d park in the handicapped space to help him out the car, and into the gym, run out and drive off for errands. Come back after his session, park in the space, hang the placard, and go in to bring him out.

People would try to pick fights a lot, and she’d wave and thank them for their concern. And when she’d come out with her husband on his walker, they’d shut up real quick.

When her husband died, she turned the placard in...

Old 10-26-2018, 06:13 PM

5,621 posts, read 8,562,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Wait, wait...DV plates is Disabled Veteran, right? What part of disabled isn’t connecting up with handicapped in people’s minds? A DV plate would be the same as a handicapped, wouldn’t it, except, that the disabling event happened while in service, right?

How have people gotten so dumb that we can’t connect this.
not just 'people'

'cop's '

I've been hassled 2x (2 different states) for parking in handicapped zone with DV plates.

One I got a nice apology from the captain and assurances that the cop writing tickets would be educated about what the plates mean. (Your think they would of learned that!)

The other one I wrote a note and left it on the dash explaining in small words what 'DV' meant when I parked there the second day.

What pissed me off was that the PD refused to correct it when I called (plate was issued in the same state) and I had to show up for court.
I didn't say a single word, they said everyone who wants to contest the ticket come over here... I had parked and removed my plate, merely laid it on the DA's desk. He invalidated the ticket and sent me on my way, not a word of apology.
What REALLY pissed me off is that it cost me $50 in gas and parking because a cop was ignorant of his job, I had to waste my day, and not one word.

People are idiots.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:39 PM

2,214 posts, read 1,356,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Look up "So you think you have EDS" and if you can't find it, I can probably send you a PDF copy. You probably have a connective tissue disorder which is wrongly diagnosed as fibro, especially if you used to be very flexible as a kid.

Only comes as you tube but I got it from this site many years ago. Will keep looking

https://issuu.com/markmartino8/docs/...oumighthaveeds

https://themighty.com/2018/01/ehlers...ymptoms-signs/
I read a bit of this description of EDS. Sorry but Fibromyalgia has nothing to do with hyper-flexibility. More like stiff, muscle cramps, and pain for no reason in places that can vary from hour to hour. Never was terribly flexible. There are a lot more symptoms of fibro but I won't go into it here.

Old 10-26-2018, 09:58 PM

7,292 posts, read 4,166,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
not just 'people'

'cop's '

I've been hassled 2x (2 different states) for parking in handicapped zone with DV plates.

One I got a nice apology from the captain and assurances that the cop writing tickets would be educated about what the plates mean. (Your think they would of learned that!)

The other one I wrote a note and left it on the dash explaining in small words what 'DV' meant when I parked there the second day.

What pissed me off was that the PD refused to correct it when I called (plate was issued in the same state) and I had to show up for court.
I didn't say a single word, they said everyone who wants to contest the ticket come over here... I had parked and removed my plate, merely laid it on the DA's desk. He invalidated the ticket and sent me on my way, not a word of apology.
What REALLY pissed me off is that it cost me $50 in gas and parking because a cop was ignorant of his job, I had to waste my day, and not one word.

People are idiots.

Just because one meets the VA's criteria for being considered a disabled vet doesn't mean they meet the state's standard. It doesn't take much to get a 50 percent disability rating from the VA. My neighbor got one for a voluntary hysterectomy. No way would she have qualified for a state handicapped plate or tag. But that's good enough for a state disabled veteran plate. That's why Alaska has two different disabled veteran plates. One for those who meet the VA criteria and one for those who meet the state's criteria. The latter has a wheelchair symbol and only those with the wheelchair symbol can park in handicapped parking spots.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:38 AM

10,766 posts, read 21,390,916 times
Pet peeve, parking at Walmart yesterday, no spaces left; woman loading her car in a handicap spot wearing stick thin 4 inch heels. She walked and looked fine. Why would she need close parking if she can even wear those shoes or are the shoes her disability? I almost asked if the permit was hers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I read a bit of this description of EDS. Sorry but Fibromyalgia has nothing to do with hyper-flexibility. More like stiff, muscle cramps, and pain for no reason in places that can vary from hour to hour. Never was terribly flexible. There are a lot more symptoms of fibro but I won't go into it here.
People that were flexible when young aren't flexible as they get older. Anyway, thought I'd mention it just in case. My daughter was DX fibro then a connective tissue disorder instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement