U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 06:22 AM

4,437 posts, read 2,612,363 times

Advertisements

Many of you may have either one or both, so im posting this here.

I have a bad back hip and knee. I wear a back brace and a knee brace. I get around with a cane. I also have exertion asthma, and use o2 at night, but not during the day. I also have heart issues. I am also 55.

I have handicapped plates and the hang tag. The plates on my minivan are extra ($27 one time fee when i converted 10 years or so ago), the hang tag you get free from the town clerk. Both require a doctors form from your doctor. Now the plates are so i dont NEED the hang tag, the hang tag is so if I'm in someone else's car, a rental of the like i can still park or the driver can park in the handicapped spaces for my convenience. I never use the hang tag in my minivan as i have the plates.
BUT people dont always look at the plates, so i hang the tag when, say , going to a venue and needing to park in the handicapped area, as the ones directing traffic NEVER seem to notice the plates.

My OH has Pagets bone disease in one hip and osteoporosis in the other. For long walks, My OH uses a cane, but generally not for every day use like i do. So our doctor signed off for my OH to have both too. Both vehicles have handicapped plates, and we both have valid hangtags. My OH will be 60 next spring.

My question IS do you ever get stares or questioning looks when you park in a handicapped space? Especially if you dont have the hang tag up ( which is illegal to drive with hanging from the mirror in my state, btw).

I often do until i get out with my cane. By people who spring out of their car and fairly well skip and hop to the store.

Yesterday, my other half was driving my van when we stopped at the pharmacy for me to get my script filled and picked up. My OH said that an older gentlemen walked by, tapped the hood, pointed to tge ground and then did the ",im watching you" finger pointing to his eyes, then at my OH.
My OH said apparently the gentleman thought we were parked illegally in the handicapped space ( there were 2 other spaces available too next to us.)

I said id have gotten out and given him a what-for. Id have asked what the F was his problem was? If it was over parked with no hangtag, id have certainly drawn his attention immediately to, and forcefully educated him, on the use of handicapped plates in no uncertain terms!!!

My OH didnt want a confrontation, so declined to do so.

Its a good thing i missed it!

So. Do you get stares and questionable looks when you park in a handicapped space, even sometimes WITH the hang tag?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 06:36 AM

4,669 posts, read 3,245,044 times
^^^^ There will always be ignorant people in the world, I am sorry to say.

My late sister had cerebral palsy and I can't tell you how many times I wanted to smack somebody for their rude stares.

I'm sorry you and your OH have experienced this.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:46 AM

15,238 posts, read 8,532,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post

My question IS do you ever get stares or questioning looks when you park in a handicapped space? Especially if you dont have the hang tag up ( which is illegal to drive with hanging from the mirror in my state, btw).

I often do until i get out with my cane. By people who spring out of their car and fairly well skip and hop to the store.

Yesterday, my other half was driving my van when we stopped at the pharmacy for me to get my script filled and picked up. My OH said that an older gentlemen walked by, tapped the hood, pointed to tge ground and then did the ",im watching you" finger pointing to his eyes, then at my OH.
My OH said apparently the gentleman thought we were parked illegally in the handicapped space ( there were 2 other spaces available too next to us.)

I said id have gotten out and given him a what-for. Id have asked what the F was his problem was? If it was over parked with no hangtag, id have certainly drawn his attention immediately to, and forcefully educated him, on the use of handicapped plates in no uncertain terms!!!

My OH didnt want a confrontation, so declined to do so.

Its a good thing i missed it!

So. Do you get stares and questionable looks when you park in a handicapped space, even sometimes WITH the hang tag?

First thing I would have said is "Keep your hands off my car!"

My ex had a handicapped hangtag for awhile - it was a pain to remember to put up and down when I drove by myself versus him as we only had one car then. But, he really didn't want the stigma of it ALWAYS showing on his license plate - with the hangtag he felt he could better control when he HAD to use it versus some other situations when he could get by without it.

And he was ALWAYS stared at but that was because he was/is very short (5'1') and with a slow gait on crutches so there was nothing special from just being in a handicapped spot. People would frequently stop and ask him what "accident" he had been in and when he tried to explain his complicated medical condition rudely lost interest after 5 seconds because it wasn't an exciting sport or car accident, I guess. People suk that way.

You will need to get a thick skin regardless as everyone is so afraid someone else will have an advantage or privilege they don't have! And how silly to think of getting a handicapped spot as meaning you are in an enviable position! Just ignore everyone is my advice.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:04 AM

5,783 posts, read 4,838,667 times
I have a friend who lost both eyes in a car accident. Her hubby drives her everywhere, but it's still difficult for her to maneuver through a large parking lot on foot. She doesn't use a cane or dog, but holds onto her hubby's, or any companion's, arm to be guided. She wears tinted glasses to conceal her closed eyelids. People say the rudest things to her about having a handicapped plate and parking in handicapped spots. One guy said "You don't look handicapped to me", she replied "Really, I have no idea how you look, BECAUSE I'M BLIND IDIOT!"

Many handicaps are invisible, and it's not the public's job to be the handi-police. If an individual has a plate or hangtag, MYOB.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:20 AM

563 posts, read 266,604 times
I have the plate and hangtag in case we have to rent a car etc...I have arthritis and back issues.
I've never had anyone say anything to me. The problem is there are a lot of people that abuse this and park in handicap and they don't care. I spoke to a Police Officer one day that was actually giving out tickets for it and she said a lot of people also use someone else's hangtag like from the parents, grandparents etc... and it will result in that person not being able to have a handicapped plate or tag again if caught. The problem is...according to the Officer, they don't have enough people to check on this very often so most get away with it. It's a real problem here, I see it a lot and like the officer said, if a young person whips in and hops out with all his friends, chances are slim to none that they are handicapped. Most of the ones I see don't have a plate or hangtag.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:23 AM

6,316 posts, read 5,055,910 times
No - I have DV plates for my car - disabled veteran.

Who the hell cares what other people think.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:48 AM

56,085 posts, read 54,565,498 times
My father lost both his legs below the knee in WWII and walked on artificial legs. It wasn't always readily apparent to others, and he got a lot of stupid remarks from people when the handicapped spaces, plates, and hang tags came out and he began to use them.

For the first 35 years or so after he was wounded, there were no such thing as handicapped parking spaces. My sister and I would accompany him at Christmas to shop for my mother because he was color blind and bought her some godawful outfits sometimes if he was on his own. He would drive around until we spotted a space near the entrance, and then my sister and I would jump out, run over to that aisle and stand in the space so that no one else could park there. People who got there before our father would yell at us and we would yell back, "My father is handicapped! He needs a space near the door!" Sometimes they nodded, sometimes they called us names.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:59 AM

910 posts, read 465,223 times
Ignore them all and just have a big broad smile on your face. As long as you have the proper tags the only ones you may need to answer to are the "real" parking enforcement folks, not the self appointed enforcement idiots who are really just, for some unexplained reason, jealous!

Old 10-18-2018, 08:07 AM

12,700 posts, read 14,077,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Many of you may have either one or both, so im posting this here.....
I am quite disabled and need to walk with a brace, plus I have a complicated and painful prosthsis and two elbow canes. I have never taken my doctor up on the offer of a letter for two reason. First, I am still able to make myself abled to a degree, and I do not take steps into further disabledness until I absolutely have no choice. Second, I find the handicapped spots are located in the busiest and, thus, most inconvenient spots - right next to the front doors, next to the ranks of shopping carts and people mindlessly rushing in and out of the store. The very last place I want to have to maneuver a car around in.

As for people who do use disabled plates and tags, I have never seen or heard anyone getting hassled when they use them. However, I do not live in the U.S., so attitudes may differ.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:30 AM

6,316 posts, read 5,055,910 times
fyi - I rarely use the disabled parking. I qualify for DV plates so since that means I only have to pay 3 dollars a year to register my car - how can I pass up a deal like that!

My sibling has a hang tag and she does need it. She carries it with her so we use it if she is with us in one of our vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement