U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 07:30 PM

19,875 posts, read 14,221,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Ah, yes. But... suppose that one does happen to derive adequate satisfaction from one's life, even in the case of bon-bons and TV. Ought that person to do better?
No. Ought/Should are Logical Fallacies.

Quote:
Ought he/she to ignore criticism, as being the importuning and intrusion of people who have no such legitimate business? Or, is there some objective scale, against which we can align a person's activities, and rationally pass judgment?
It's not for us to judge, unless that person opens the door and invites criticism. That criticism may be constructive, if they're asking what more they can do, but if they are complaining about their situation, then the criticism can be a condemnation.

The individual is the sole arbiter whether they succeeded or failed at Life.

Quote:
The whole point is, a feeling of guilt that one's talents are going to waste. Suppose that a person has such talents, but feels no guilt. Is this person legitimately happy? Who are we, to judge? And yet, if nobody bothers to judge, is it not the case, that something precious is being wasted, and thereby, there's a common and collective loss?
No. I exist to serve my own self-interests, not to be a slave to others. If others benefit from that, then fine, and if no one benefits, that's fine, too. It's not an issue, unless I cause harm to others.

In serving my own interests, there's nothing contradictory about placing myself in service to others. I spent over 10 years in the Army. After that, I spent 3 months working at a UN refugee camp in Mae Hong Son, Thailand, in addition to other things, like teaching guitar in the Guitars-for-Vets program.

For a few years, I didn't much of anything, except eat and drink, spend Summers on the Black Sea or sailing around the Aegean on my boat sampling Greek cuisine. That was exactly what I wanted to do, so it's not like I'm sad about it.

Quote:
And, what if a person is adequately engaged and busy - whatever that means - but nevertheless somehow still feels guilty and inadequate, in the sense that one's busy over the wrong thing, or derives pleasures from illegitimate sources, or incurs too much opportunity-cost?
Some people are their own worst critics. For those people, it doesn't really matter what they do, because whatever they do will never be enough for them.

Quote:
The point here isn't to seek validation from the crowd's plaudits, but rather, to assess whether indeed one is doing the right thing. And if there is no "right", in any absolute sense? Then - how do we figure out, what it is, that we ought to be doing? Is the possibility of regret then entirely foreclosed, in which case, if we still feel regret, are we just being stupid?
You figure that out by being brutally honest and recognizing or admitting that you are or are not satisfied. A high school friend wanted to be an accountant. Sometimes wanting is not so pleasing a thing as having, and after having worked as an accountant, he hated it. So, he got his Juris Doctorate and now he's happy helping people in a variety of situations, some criminal, some civil.

Some people don't have the wherewithal to be brutally honest and they live their Pollyanna life looking through rose-colored glasses.

It sucks to be them.

Quote:
"Purpose" is not a sanctimonious testament of being a good person. It's a question, ultimately, of why we still remain alive.
You remain alive, because like every organism that exists now and has ever existed, your primary function is to procreate to perpetuate the species and ensure its survival.

Anything else is just window dressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 08:24 PM

6,212 posts, read 4,718,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Robert Ringer once posited his "iceball" theory that in a million million years, the sun will have exploded and then burned out, and what remains of the earth will be a dead iceball. Our current knowledge of physics bears that out........
Not true! First the earth is roughly 4 1/2 billion years old. We are about half way to the end; i.e. we have 5000 million years left, not millions of millions. Second the sun will expand, engulf and absorb the earth. We will not end as a dead iceball, but will become a part of a dying white dwarf star, still plenty hot.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:31 PM

1,595 posts, read 1,890,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Something I have always wondered about.... what is my purpose? At 76 I think I must have been sleeping when mine was revealed to me.

I do not intend for this thread to turn into a religious discussion. I think knowing your purpose is a personal thing and if you know what yours is you are most fortunate.

If you do know what it is, would you care to share it? And how long ago did you figure it out?

It's hard to believe my life as I have lived it is my purpose.
Survival. Anything else is gravy.

Old 10-20-2018, 10:45 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,651,778 times
Quote:
"Purpose" is not a sanctimonious testament of being a good person. It's a question, ultimately, of why we still remain alive.
Or, especially as we get older, why we are not yet dead.

Either way, our purpose, I suppose, is to fill in the time in between in the manner of our choosing.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:51 AM

17,372 posts, read 21,218,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I don't know if you are trying to be funny but this is low key insulting to your wife. It's like saying your wife has no reason to exist outside of washing your dirty drawers.
Let's put it this way, if he did the cooking, if he did the cleaning, if he did all the shopping, then what purpose would she have? One of the greatest highs you can attain in life is feeling needed.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:18 AM

17,372 posts, read 21,218,356 times
My purpose in life comes to me during suicidal thoughts.

I think of those dependent on me for part of their survival, like recently shelling out $1300 in repair bills for my car, remodeling my house (extra job security for those working at Lowe's/Home Depot), and many other businesses I patronize, and there's my Mexican roommate who's been with me for 19 years, and without me, he'd certainly be on the streets homeless. And there's my ferret who's dependent on me.

And some are dependent on me for ego gratification through arguments!

It's hard to have a real purpose in this world, as anyone that doesn't think this world will end in a nuclear holocaust (could happen any time) has got their heads buried way too deep in the sand.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:44 AM

5,179 posts, read 669,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
And, of course, every parent knows part of their job description is to embarrass their children.

When daughter #2 was around 15 she wanted to get on the pill. My rule of thumb was once the kids turned 18 they could do whatever the hell they wanted (as adults--and on THEIR dime) but as long as they were under my roof and still in high school there were limits (i.e. no tattoos, no joining the military, no sex change operations, etc.)

So kid#2 had an appointment with the pediatrician. I knew she was going to ask the doc for birth control. I didn't say anything.

She goes into the examination room and about 10 min. later the doctor comes out all concerned and asks me if I was OK with my daughter going on the pill. I look at the doc and say, "I want you to put the fear of God into her."

So the doc lays it on pretty thick--STDs, birth control failure, possible pregnancy, relationship complications, etc.

My daughter comes back into the waiting room, scowling. She glares at me and says:

"I HATE YOU."

I thought to myself, "Well, looks like I done my job...."

Old 10-21-2018, 06:48 AM

71,468 posts, read 71,652,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Let's put it this way, if he did the cooking, if he did the cleaning, if he did all the shopping, then what purpose would she have? One of the greatest highs you can attain in life is feeling needed.
love the answer , ha ha ha she is definitely needed or i couldn't function in life . she pushes me to do things i may never have done left to my own devices .

she is the one that pushed me back in to drumming again recently after stopping my career as a pro drummer decades ago . she is the one that found a very famous drummer to coach me and make me the best i can be . this summer i i am scheduled to sit in with a very well known group on their 50th anniversary tour .

so it seems her purpose is to push me and get me to do things she knows i love but shy'd away from doing . now she created a monster so to speak and drumming has once again taken over a good part of my daily life , which ironically is the reason i got out of the business . kind of like giving drugs to a recovering addict ha ha .

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-21-2018 at 06:57 AM..

Old 10-21-2018, 06:59 AM

4,830 posts, read 4,944,472 times
I had always thought that my purpose in life was to raise my children, teach them well, and get them on a path to self sufficiency.

I remember the day that my youngest child started college. I realized that from that point forward, he would make it on his own.

I remarked to a work mate that on that day I was experiencing freedom because I had finally fulfilled my purpose in life and had become biologically irrelevant.

Every day since then has been gravy.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:03 AM

602 posts, read 259,871 times
In a very basic sense I guess our purpose is simply to propagate our species. But that is a very limited view, of course. Many people contribute to society in significant and meaningful ways without ever having children.

In the end I suspect purpose is about creation and love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or