U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 08:26 AM

6,860 posts, read 7,809,283 times

Advertisements

My purpose is to make my way through the world, doing good when the opportunity presents itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 08:32 AM

71,657 posts, read 71,801,099 times
sometimes on some of these forums i frequent my purpose seems to be like bringing fire to the natives with all the myth and folklore people believe in the financial world .

Old 10-21-2018, 09:36 AM

87 posts, read 53,378 times
This thread resonates with me as I have been mulling what I will do with next part of my life which is post work and children and little prospect of grand kids.

My prime purpose so far has been to give my children a good start to life though that is a reflection of my history rather than a conscious motive at the time. In terms of my affect on the planet, their future is the only outcome of my actions that will still be visible 40 years after my death.

I try to be a good citizen, treat others as I would like to be treated, learn and have fun but I see these as attributes or values, not purposes.
It would be nice to have faith in one of the reincarnation religions as it would provide a ready made purpose ie attain Nirvana as a buddhist; but I am not religious.

For my future, something like “help your community improve each year” seems a good candidate for an ongoing purpose.

Thanks for the thread.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:37 AM

7,363 posts, read 10,803,781 times
For some, purpose is defined as: The way I live my life is a model for the way everyone else should live their life. I know best, I am a good doer, and I am wonderful.

For others, purpose is defined as: Being the best I can be, show kindness to all, and be humble.

Old 10-21-2018, 11:18 AM

6,105 posts, read 1,834,249 times
My purpose is to survive and reproduce, just like the science book says...

In reality though, my personal purpose is to take care of my spouse or any future family, live a healthy law abiding life, be a productive member of society, and try to take advantage of every day I have on earth.

Old 10-21-2018, 11:29 AM

11,269 posts, read 8,439,906 times
I've recently discovered Michael Jr, a gifted comic and inspirational speaker. Last night I watched a show he did at a university. If you ever get on YouTube you should look him up, particularly that show. It really answers this question, at least that's what I got out of it. Plus he's so funny and he always keeps it clean.

Old 10-21-2018, 11:55 AM

21,697 posts, read 23,676,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I've recently discovered Michael Jr, a gifted comic and inspirational speaker. Last night I watched a show he did at a university. If you ever get on YouTube you should look him up, particularly that show. It really answers this question, at least that's what I got out of it. Plus he's so funny and he always keeps it clean.
I looked him up. You have to give us more than just just "a show he did at a university." He's done lots of shows. In which one does he allegedly answer this question? Also, I think that as you recommend him, you should mention that his is a Christian themed show, not that there's anything wrong with that, just that people might like to know.

Old 10-21-2018, 01:15 PM

11,269 posts, read 8,439,906 times
The university show was secular. I'll see if I can find it.
University of Nevada. I'm not able to paste the link while on my phone.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:28 PM

5,429 posts, read 3,454,205 times
It's extraordinarily wonderful to just be alive in the glorious autumn of gold and red tree leaves, sparkling crisp air, bright blue sky, gold and red maple tree leaves framed against the blue, rustling fallen leaves ALL over. No other purpose needed. Nature and autumn are plenty of purpose.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:53 PM

3,905 posts, read 1,658,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
love the answer , ha ha ha she is definitely needed or i couldn't function in life . she pushes me to do things i may never have done left to my own devices .

she is the one that pushed me back in to drumming again recently after stopping my career as a pro drummer decades ago . she is the one that found a very famous drummer to coach me and make me the best i can be . this summer i i am scheduled to sit in with a very well known group on their 50th anniversary tour .

so it seems her purpose is to push me and get me to do things she knows i love but shy'd away from doing . now she created a monster so to speak and drumming has once again taken over a good part of my daily life , which ironically is the reason i got out of the business . kind of like giving drugs to a recovering addict ha ha .
That's your purpose for her. She may have a completely different purpose that has nothing to do with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or