U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 04:24 PM

71,550 posts, read 71,712,424 times

Advertisements

Her purpose I think is to give ups and fedex drivers a place to deliver to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 04:29 PM

4,821 posts, read 1,838,502 times
I think it was (and is) to help others and to beautify my surroundings, and occasionally raise the consciousness of others through my writings.

Old 10-21-2018, 05:44 PM

6,574 posts, read 1,352,342 times
Interesting question for discussion!

I am sad that I am 65, and I have never discovered my passion. When I was a girl, my one goal was to have a typical (for the time!) middle-class life of marriage, two-to-four kids (kids being the most important thing to me then), and being a teacher. However, I was only 21 when I realized that my "dream" of being a 1950's type wife and mom was not to be; and I never found anything afterward to take its place, and never stayed with one job for more than seven years, at most, and have been in five different career fields. I do enjoy life with my third husband, after two divorces, and that is a LOT more than many people have, but I have just never found any real purpose or passion in life, and have just drifted through life, with really nothing to show for it.

Still, as I indicated, I do have it better than many people, and I am grateful for that.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:41 PM

5,440 posts, read 2,762,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
I don't know, I always kinda like your posts!
Thank you. Apparently you haven't seen me on the homeless threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I've recently discovered Michael Jr, a gifted comic and inspirational speaker. Last night I watched a show he did at a university. If you ever get on YouTube you should look him up, particularly that show. It really answers this question, at least that's what I got out of it. Plus he's so funny and he always keeps it clean.
I'll have to look him up.

*sighs* I knew I was doing something wrong. I discovered James Veitch on YouTube and I thought he was inspirational. It goes without saying that George Carlin is my mentor.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:09 PM

5,440 posts, read 2,762,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
How do you put a purpose to a serendipitous event? None of us had a choice as to whether we wanted to be here or not. Mommy egg came together with Daddy sperm and boom. Our reason for being here is either we were an oops or someone wanted children.
Not necessarily. I started reading something once on about the creepy things kids say to their parents. It wasn't the article that got to me, it was the comments. More than 300 of them and over and over and over parents would say their child told them he had another life and other parents. I wasn't a believer in reincarnation, but man, those comments and other stories I've read since then have me reconsidering.

One of the other things that stood out was how many kids told their parents they "chose" their mother "this time". Something to think about.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:30 PM

6,313 posts, read 5,053,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Interesting question for discussion!

I am sad that I am 65, and I have never discovered my passion. When I was a girl, my one goal was to have a typical (for the time!) middle-class life of marriage, two-to-four kids (kids being the most important thing to me then), and being a teacher. However, I was only 21 when I realized that my "dream" of being a 1950's type wife and mom was not to be; and I never found anything afterward to take its place, and never stayed with one job for more than seven years, at most, and have been in five different career fields. I do enjoy life with my third husband, after two divorces, and that is a LOT more than many people have, but I have just never found any real purpose or passion in life, and have just drifted through life, with really nothing to show for it.

Still, as I indicated, I do have it better than many people, and I am grateful for that.
Sheesh - you did good! You went and changed jobs, husbands etc when you knew it just wasn't the right fit for you

How many people do you know, just keep on with the same old same old when they really want to change?

I've also been divorced twice. I don't see that as a negative. I wasn't happy - so why stick around?

We've been brainwashed into sticking with something or else we are bad...

I've gone through several phases already and looking forward to a new one

Old 10-21-2018, 08:08 PM

468 posts, read 166,940 times
What is our purpose ?

To simply give more than we take.

Last edited by NY 915; 10-21-2018 at 08:30 PM..

Old 10-21-2018, 08:39 PM

3,107 posts, read 1,720,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
I did a quick search for "What's the Purpose of Life" and found this article

What’s The Purpose Of Life? 16 Possible Answers From 16 Inspirational People

I can't believe that the top answer on the list is the same as my own answer (for this retirement phase in my life) ;0

Below are the summaries of the remaining 15 answers

For the rest of the list, I really like answer #4 because boots and cats can surely make you happy ;-) I also agree with answers 2, 6 and 8.
The Dalai Lama’s statement that the purpose of life is to be happy is something that can take several lifetimes to achieve!

Old 10-21-2018, 10:40 PM

4,972 posts, read 3,457,347 times
I pondered on how to answer this.

I think when I made the decision to work for nonprofit organizations, knowing I would have to live on less money, was a big turning point for me.

I feel good about many of the things I did in those years. I feel that I helped change lives and am glad of the decision I made. So, yes, I feel I found my purpose.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:43 AM

6,312 posts, read 3,574,248 times
A close friend, psychiatric nurse and kind person died at forty-two of cancer. In the last few weeks of her life sometimes we talked about her pending death and something she said has lingered with me. She said, "But I'm not done yet."

It seems to me that there was someone who had a sense of her path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or