U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 10:55 AM

659 posts, read 324,724 times

Advertisements

I've had interesting and lucrative Nursing and Pharmaceutical careers. Returned to school and earned a Bachelors in Nursing at 30 and an MBA in Marketing at 40. Traveled the world, and continue to do so in retirement.
Those things were not my calling or purpose. My purpose in life was simply to give life to my two sons, and subsequently my grandson and granddaughter.
Of late, I have discovered I have an aptitude for teaching English to immigrants. I do that for free. I love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 11:44 AM

8,959 posts, read 7,733,997 times
My purpose is to enjoy myself but not at a cost to another.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:11 PM

1,453 posts, read 1,153,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
The Dalai Lama’s statement that the purpose of life is to be happy is something that can take several lifetimes to achieve!
If you had read his expanded answer in the link, you may not think that his purpose is difficult to achieve. I find my life desire or purpose for living is very much aligned with his thinking. I feel very contented today after spending a wonderful weekend with friends, my daughter, SIL and their 3 dogs. They are all very happy with the little things which we did for and with them thus making me even happier ;0;

Quote:
“I believe that the very purpose of life is to be happy. From the very core of our being, we desire contentment. In my own limited experience I have found that the more we care for the happiness of others, the greater is our own sense of well-being.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:03 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,658,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I've recently discovered Michael Jr, a gifted comic and inspirational speaker. Last night I watched a show he did at a university. If you ever get on YouTube you should look him up, particularly that show. It really answers this question, at least that's what I got out of it. Plus he's so funny and he always keeps it clean.

Definitely worth listening to and thinking about.

https://tedxuniversityofnevada.org/speakers/michael-jr/

Old 10-22-2018, 04:35 PM

3,102 posts, read 1,719,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
If you had read his expanded answer in the link, you may not think that his purpose is difficult to achieve. I find my life desire or purpose for living is very much aligned with his thinking. I feel very contented today after spending a wonderful weekend with friends, my daughter, SIL and their 3 dogs. They are all very happy with the little things which we did for and with them thus making me even happier ;0;
Expanded answer: “I believe that the very purpose of life is to be happy. From the very core of our being, we desire contentment. In my own limited experience I have found that the more we care for the happiness of others, the greater is our own sense of well-being.

“Cultivating a close, warmhearted feeling for others automatically puts the mind at ease. It helps remove whatever fears or insecurities we may have and gives us the strength to cope with any obstacles we encounter. It is the principal source of success in life. Since we are not solely material creatures, it is a mistake to place all our hopes for happiness on external development alone. The key is to develop inner peace.

I agree with everything the Dalai Lama has said and particularly the underlined sentence. And also with you.

I am just saying it is not easy. It requires some deep introspection to understand ultimately what lies at the core of what we call happiness. Often it means a bit of denying ourselves and being able to love unconditionally. It cannot come from a place of hurt or resentment or anger.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:53 PM

6,308 posts, read 3,572,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Expanded answer: “I believe that the very purpose of life is to be happy. From the very core of our being, we desire contentment. In my own limited experience I have found that the more we care for the happiness of others, the greater is our own sense of well-being.

“Cultivating a close, warmhearted feeling for others automatically puts the mind at ease. It helps remove whatever fears or insecurities we may have and gives us the strength to cope with any obstacles we encounter. It is the principal source of success in life. Since we are not solely material creatures, it is a mistake to place all our hopes for happiness on external development alone. The key is to develop inner peace.

I agree with everything the Dalai Lama has said and particularly the underlined sentence. And also with you.

I am just saying it is not easy. It requires some deep introspection to understand ultimately what lies at the core of what we call happiness. Often it means a bit of denying ourselves and being able to love unconditionally. It cannot come from a place of hurt or resentment or anger.
"It can't come from a place of hurt or resentment or anger." And still, from my experience, it is those very emotions from which I continue to grow in empathy for others. If it weren't such a lengthy and sometimes painful process I would find a great deal of humor in that paradox.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:59 PM

1,857 posts, read 548,038 times
On my deathbed I will still be asking myself what I want to be when I grow up. Is that a purpose - to be clueless? if so then that's mine.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:49 PM

1,641 posts, read 563,626 times
My purpose in life has always been to muddle through as best I can.

That really just about sums it up. It may sound facetious but that's the way I've always felt. Muddle through, hopefully learn whatever I can through my mistakes (many) and successes (some), treat others the way I'd like to be treated, never harm a person or animal unless they're in the process of trying to harm me, and always remember that nobody's perfect (least of all, me.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or