Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 09:47 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,378,494 times

Advertisements

My sole purpose is to serve my Wife, I have committed myself to make sure she is happy and content. Also to help others where I can, but also realize there are some who are beyond help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 09:53 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
. . . . This may not seem like much of a "purpose" but I often think how hard the world is today...anything I/we can do to make it a little easier for other people/life forms/the planet beats either making things worse, or just ignoring the pain of others. I don't think a "purpose" has to be a big thing or mean you are rich and famous...just my opinion! Interested to see how others respond.
I'm not even sure I agree that anyone has a purpose. I also don't believe in any organized religion or deity.

I actually composed a reply that got somewhat philosophical, but then realized I don't really know what I'm talking about. So I scrapped that.

I do what makes (1) me (2) my spouse (3) my family, blood and chosen, happy, (4) anyone else . . .

. . . have a better/happier/easier life.

And I can't think of any better way to behave.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:54 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Yep, it's hard to address the topic without bringing in religion.

I abandoned organized religion ca 2000, without prejudice, after teaching/leading Bible classes in a mainstream church for many years. Yet even I can't answer this question without invoking spiritual belief.

Long & short, I've come to know that my sole purpose in this life, on this planet, is to learn to forgive. Everyone, for everything, without exception. Including but not limited to myself and my own actions.
I fall short way more often than not but again it's a learning process so two steps forward, one step back is victory.
Luckily I've had some good role models along the way - both those who needed but didn't on the surface deserve forgiveness, and those who managed to overcome judgment and forgave them.

Thus endeth the sermon and thank you for listening.
See, you actually did answer the question without invoking religion.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:57 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,795,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
And, of course, every parent knows part of their job description is to embarrass their children.
True that...

Old 10-18-2018, 10:15 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
My purpose in life is apparently to be used and thrown away by women, and to live each day depressed and miserable.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:51 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
My purpose in life has been to take care of whatever cat I've rescued over the years.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:56 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Something I have always wondered about.... what is my purpose? At 76 I think I must have been sleeping when mine was revealed to me.

I do not intend for this thread to turn into a religious discussion. I think knowing your purpose is a personal thing and if you know what yours is you are most fortunate.

If you do know what it is, would you care to share it? And how long ago did you figure it out?

It's hard to believe my life as I have lived it is my purpose.

Well, you may not have wanted religion but for me, that's a lot of it...... sort of.

I'm a Steward, I am here to take care of other life on the planet. When the Rapture comes, I believe I will be cosmically screwed because I will be left behind to take care of the other things living on this world.

I guess being a lost pet magnet is what convinced me.

Old 10-19-2018, 04:13 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
My purpose in life is apparently to be used and thrown away by women, and to live each day depressed and miserable.
...but are you GOOD at it?

Old 10-19-2018, 05:49 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,133 times
For all the people who have commented on my post asking to not turn it into a religious thing...... I've noticed your religion has not taught you about judging others.

That is OK. Because God forgives us and blesses us every day.

For those of you who believe in a loving God, as I do.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:17 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
If purpose equals influence than I think we all have some purpose whether we know what it is exactly or not. Sort of like the butterfly effect- we don't make a move or a motion without influencing others or events.

I know that my very existence has changed others' lives and behavior- mostly for good I hope- but I'm sure at times also negatively.

So in this way we all affect the course of humanity and the planet and therefore the universe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement