U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 08:16 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,658,241 times

Advertisements

Not sure why it matters if I know what my purpose is. If I've been given one, I'm sure I'm fulfilling it, whether I know what it is or not.

If I try to guess what my purpose is, I'll probably be completely wrong. Just like a fish might think his purpose is to swim across a lake, never guessing the real purpose is to be dinner for a grizzly bear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 08:24 AM

1,553 posts, read 918,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
who are you accusing of judging others? I see no one doing that.

Also, you don't need to be religious to forgive others. Try it
Oh, Bumble, the gal just got done writing that she believes in a loving God.

How is she not already religious?

Old 10-19-2018, 08:26 AM

1,553 posts, read 918,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
My purpose in life is apparently to be used and thrown away by women, and to live each day depressed and miserable.
Some of us aren't even lucky enough to be used and thrown away.

You're livin' the dream, buddy!

Old 10-19-2018, 08:27 AM

4,672 posts, read 3,248,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
who are you accusing of judging others? I see no one doing that.

Also, you don't need to be religious to forgive others. Try it

I have forgiven you for your hatefulness.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:48 AM

4,672 posts, read 3,248,729 times
Over time, I have read posts that have brought religion into the discussion and very often they are told to not do this. I did not want to have that happen. not realizing how some of you would react. I don't take responsibility for your reactions. Only for what I intended to get from this thread. After all, I did write it. If you feel choked by what I wrote, start your own thread.

For anyone to assume I am not a Christian or trying to shut Christians out is very bizarre to me. You think I'm strange?? No, you take the cake in that department.

So sad that people have to ruin a thread that was not written as prejudicial or judging or whatever your imagination have conjured up.

I don't see a lock and key on this thread. I made a suggestion.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:34 AM

9,682 posts, read 15,871,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
My purpose is to give my wife a purpose.

She cooks -I eat

She cleans-I make dirty

She spends - I figure out how to pay for it

It seems like a daily routine

You sound like a swell guy

Old 10-19-2018, 11:02 AM

7,933 posts, read 5,045,305 times
The point about religion, presumably, is that for a devoutly religious person, one’s “purpose” revolves around a relationship with the deity venerated by said religion. For less devout people, this relationship is more ambiguous and enigmatic, or perhaps so far in the background, that other matters present themselves, with which we occupy ourselves on daily basis, by which we judge and are judged ourselves. For secular people, even if there’s an affinity to religious questions about meaning and existence and so forth, there’s very much a quizzical wonder, as how one’s supposed to navigate it all, and really, whether it even matters.

As a young man, without delving too much into metaphysical questions, my “purpose” was to get good grades and to advance in schooling. Later, the purpose was to develop a career, to earn/save/invest money. Now, with formal education far in the background, and career essentially in the background as well, yet traditional retirement a considerable number of years in the future, I’ve come to achingly question “purpose” – what it is, whether it’s attainable, whether it could be misconstrued – where one ends of assiduously pursuing the wrong or the unworthy thing.

“Not being a jerk” is a good philosophy for living, but it’s not a purpose. Anything that can be well fulfilled by blowing one’s brains out this very day, and thus ceasing to cause harm or to consume resources or whatnot, may in some contexts be a good strategy, but it’s nowise a fulfillment of purpose, or attaining of anything. It’s just a way out. So – what is “purpose”, in the sense of positively doing something that leads to better results, than what happened to be the case, before one started?

Last edited by ohio_peasant; 10-19-2018 at 12:11 PM..

Old 10-19-2018, 02:17 PM

9,760 posts, read 7,041,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Not dead yet but so far I am a talentless drone. If I work hard I can be better than average at anything I choose to try but I haven't found anything I am passionate about that I do better than anyone else. Darn it!

You never know. I may trip over some unknown ability tomorrow...or never.
And to you, and others who may express similar sentiments disparaging their own talents, or contributions to the world around them, I'd say that you don't always know the effect your words, actions, may have on others with whom you come into contact, be they family, friends, neighbors, acquaintances, or those you cross paths with in a store, and so on. You may brighten someone's day with a kind, or positive remark, or a simple act of kindness or courtesy, inspire them to undertake new endeavors, or look at things in a different perspective, just by your words, an action or a job you have done well.

And a sense of humor goes a very long way. It can brighten the day, lighten the burden of stress, anger or frustration, not just for the person expressing that sense of humor (and IMO it's a gift to be able to look at life's incongruities from the perspective of humor), but for those who hear it and appreciate the humor for what it is. This is what I thought first when I read your post, I don't know but was assuming that your remarks were more or less tongue in cheek, and I appreciated the way you expressed your thoughts, in a light-hearted manner.

Old 10-19-2018, 02:52 PM

28,243 posts, read 39,908,153 times
When I was a kid we were all asked what we wanted to be when we grew up. I was the only one who had no answer.

Fast forward to 1981. IBM released the IBM PC-1. I spent six months talking my wife into buying one. Over $3000.00. Once I had it I realized I had found my answer. At age 33 I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up.

I ended up being a Systems Manager for a worldwide company then started my own computer consulting business. Working with computers and keeping the owners and users happy was my purpose.

But my primary purpose was making sure my wife was a happy as possible.

I was successful with both.

Now my purpose is keeping her happy and enjoying my retirement.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:00 PM

13,321 posts, read 25,569,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I have no clue if my life has a purpose but I am living it WITH purpose.
I think that is very wise, at least, the way I see it.

I personally don't believe in "a purpose," especially not one regarding some specific activity. I think more about an attitude, a stance, a place from within to operate. Like the old saying about happiness not being a destination but a mean to travel.

Still working on that. I think it's a lifetime understanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or