Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 01:32 PM

5,945 posts, read 5,087,086 times

Advertisements

Something I have always wondered about.... what is my purpose? At 76 I think I must have been sleeping when mine was revealed to me.

I do not intend for this thread to turn into a religious discussion. I think knowing your purpose is a personal thing and if you know what yours is you are most fortunate.

If you do know what it is, would you care to share it? And how long ago did you figure it out?

It's hard to believe my life as I have lived it is my purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 01:45 PM

1,302 posts, read 843,660 times
Mine seems to be taking care of those that need to be taken care of. All my life, I have loved animals. Wanted to be a vet when I was young, but couldn't pass H.S. chemistry class! Anyway, I was forever taking in wounded birds, etc. and nursing them back to health. Now I feed birds, feed a feral kitty who hangs out with my two, took in my granddaughter at the age of 2 when her mom couldn't do it anymore, (she is now 23) ...etc. My career was also in the support category. This may not seem like much of a "purpose" but I often think how hard the world is today...anything I/we can do to make it a little easier for other people/life forms/the planet beats either making things worse, or just ignoring the pain of others. I don't think a "purpose" has to be a big thing or mean you are rich and famous...just my opinion! Interested to see how others respond.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:49 PM

6,277 posts, read 4,146,966 times
I have no clue if my life has a purpose but I am living it WITH purpose.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:52 PM

105,860 posts, read 107,840,851 times
My purpose is to give my wife a purpose.

She cooks -I eat

She cleans-I make dirty

She spends - I figure out how to pay for it

It seems like a daily routine

Old 10-18-2018, 01:59 PM

24,512 posts, read 18,011,396 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xLLwERIqXs

Old 10-18-2018, 02:06 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,914,353 times
I did a quick search for "What's the Purpose of Life" and found this article

What’s The Purpose Of Life? 16 Possible Answers From 16 Inspirational People

I can't believe that the top answer on the list is the same as my own answer (for this retirement phase in my life) ;0

Quote:
1. The Dalai Lama: “The very purpose of life is to be happy.”
Below are the summaries of the remaining 15 answers

Quote:
2. Steve Pavlina: “The purpose of life is to explore and experience.”

3. Byron Katie: “To understand that what is, really isn’t.”

4. Chris Guillebeau: “Hmmmm…. boots and cats?

5. Christie Marie Sheldon: “The only Soul-Filled purpose of life is to love and let what makes you soulfully happy guide you — it’ll all work out if that’s your guiding force.”

6. Matthew Silver: “God gave you free will. That’s for you to decide. But I’d so use your heart to find it.”

7. Ralph Smart: “I believe it is to become our greatest version.”

8. Parker Heuser: “The purpose of life is to discover your surroundings, discover yourself, take what you’ve learned, follow your heart and evolve spiritually.”

9. Barrie Davenport: “The purpose of life is to live mindfully and passionately in the present moment, to love unabashedly, to be a lifelong learner, to seek adventure and growth, and to spread kindness and peace along the way.”

10. Gary Vaynerchuk: “To leave Legacy that is a North Star for all my family in the future.”

11. Justine Musk: “To cultivate your gifts and inner knowing in your lifelong quest for soul: that point in place and time where what you do is who you are and whom you serve, and to take care of yourself is to take care of the world.”

12. Alex Blackwell: “To give love without being asked and to believe you are worthy to receive love always.”

13. Will Mitchell: “The purpose of life is self-actualization – shaping the world in our vision through reaching our full potential.”

14. Joshua Becker: “The purpose of life is to give it away in the service of others.”

15. Luminita Saviuc: “To truly love.”

16. Brendan Baker: “The purpose of life is to make a difference (a positive difference!).”
For the rest of the list, I really like answer #4 because boots and cats can surely make you happy ;-) I also agree with answers 2, 6 and 8.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:09 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,417,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
My purpose is to give my wife a purpose.

She cooks -I eat

She cleans-I make dirty

She spends - I figure out how to pay for it

It seems like a daily routine
I don't know if you are trying to be funny but this is low key insulting to your wife. It's like saying your wife has no reason to exist outside of washing your dirty drawers.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:18 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,078,432 times
I have never had a purpose to my life "revealed" to me, sleeping or awake. My purposes, goals, and pursuits have been a part of what I have chosen.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:22 PM

12,050 posts, read 10,189,493 times
good question

Last edited by Clemencia53; 10-18-2018 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: left off a word

Old 10-18-2018, 02:26 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,490,141 times
Well, I guess its time to watch Monty Pythons Meaning of Life again!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement