Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 07:41 PM

605 posts, read 334,654 times

Advertisements

No responses here in the dental forum. Likely means there is no plan which corresponds to what I need.
But I'll try posting it here just in case....

http://www.city-data.com/forum/denta...l#post53386245
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 08:49 PM

705 posts, read 561,049 times
I think they include cleanings and x rays. I googled a few things and found this, I hope it helps.
https://lendedu.com/blog/best-dental-insurance

Old 10-18-2018, 09:56 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,579,125 times
I'm not sure it'll help you unless you live close to the Mexican border. Many dental services can be obtained for less dollars south of the border. Yes, you have less legal recourse when things go pear-shaped, so you need to carefully research. But things go pear-shaped north of the border also. And thousands of snowbirds - American and Canadian - rely on dental services in Mexico.

Old 10-19-2018, 04:12 AM

4,714 posts, read 4,398,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
No responses here in the dental forum. Likely means there is no plan which corresponds to what I need.
But I'll try posting it here just in case....

http://www.city-data.com/forum/denta...l#post53386245
Interesting and hoping for some answers as we are in the same situation.
We have recently moved and are new to medicare (and have an advantage plan). We are finding that the dentists will NOT see us as a new patient for a cleaning unless we do the full xrays. It does seem excessive.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:55 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,930,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Interesting and hoping for some answers as we are in the same situation.
We have recently moved and are new to medicare (and have an advantage plan). We are finding that the dentists will NOT see us as a new patient for a cleaning unless we do the full xrays. It does seem excessive.
Ask your previous dentist to send your last set of xrays to you. Bring them to the new dentist. Of course if you haven't had xrays for years, you are probably past due. Either way, a cleaning should not require xrays. A new patient dental visit might.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:32 PM

3,606 posts, read 7,898,857 times
What you have covered isn't worth much. What isn't covered could be very expensive thus expensive to insure.

Most dental plans pretty much pay out what they cost.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
What you have covered isn't worth much. What isn't covered could be very expensive thus expensive to insure.

Most dental plans pretty much pay out what they cost.
Interesting. I believe it's worth about $150 around here so hoping to save that for the year.
We had dental insurance via my employer last year. It paid out far far more for the both of us than we paid into it.

Saved us around $1700 a piece last yr.
Even if we had paid the premiums fully, without employer subsidizing it, we'd still have saved alot.
Highly unusual, I know
.We both had major work needing done at once. Maybe that is why i am more comfortable being fully covered even if it costs more

Old 10-23-2018, 08:06 AM

2,875 posts, read 2,124,654 times
i'd think it would be hard to find such a plan. preventative care seems to be the driver behind most plans so it makes sense they'd all offer it. will be interesting to see what you find.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:11 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,257,707 times
I can't imagine insurers would want to offer this because it might motivate people to skip cleanings and go to the dentist only for expensive emergencies. (Similar to how the ACA mandated 100% coverage for a lot of preventative testing, with the idea that it would save $$ down the road.)

I know that the OP has coverage for cleaning elsewhere but most would not.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I can't imagine insurers would want to offer this because it might motivate people to skip cleanings and go to the dentist only for expensive emergencies. (Similar to how the ACA mandated 100% coverage for a lot of preventative testing, with the idea that it would save $$ down the road.)

I know that the OP has coverage for cleaning elsewhere but most would not.
I hadn't thought of that. Good point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement