U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 01:24 PM

13,047 posts, read 10,439,740 times

Advertisements

I thought $750 was the FBR (Federal Benefit Rate) and hence the maximum for SSI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 05:19 PM

19,916 posts, read 14,235,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post
My father turns to 66 soon, and he is ready for applying for retirement paycheck soon (low income, came to USA less than 15 years, so his estimated retirement paycheck is less than $400 per month). He applied for medicare last year, his full retirement age is 66 years old.

I am wondering how to apply for SSI along the retirement paycheck.

Thanks.
Go to your county health and human services office (or whatever they call it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I thought $750 was the FBR (Federal Benefit Rate) and hence the maximum for SSI.
It is.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a State program, but funded by the federal government out of the General Fund and administered by the Social Security Administration. Social Security's only real involvement is issuing the checks and maintaining the database.

It's quite common for many retirees to receive both SSI and OASI.

Note that you do not get SSI plus OASI.

In other words, he will not receive a check for $750 plus a check for $400.

He gets $750, of which $400 is paid by OASI and $350 by SSI. SSI beneficiaries get COLAs just like OASI and OADI beneficiaries do.

One reason for going to the county office instead of applying on-line is that he will need to apply for SNAP benefits and for Medicaid, so he might as well go to one location and complete all the paperwork.

Additionally, the office will have a list of all senior housing options available under HUD Section 8.

Taking the utility allowance into consideration and depending on where he actually lives, it will limit his rent payments to about $118 to $230 per month.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:07 PM

1,981 posts, read 2,583,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post
My father turns to 66 soon, and he is ready for applying for retirement paycheck soon (low income, came to USA less than 15 years, so his estimated retirement paycheck is less than $400 per month). He applied for medicare last year, his full retirement age is 66 years old.

I am wondering how to apply for SSI along the retirement paycheck.

Thanks.
How is he applying for SSI if he hasn't even been in the USA 15 years? Isn't there something wrong there?

Old 10-19-2018, 09:44 PM

5,236 posts, read 8,402,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
How is he applying for SSI if he hasn't even been in the USA 15 years? Isn't there something wrong there?
In general, a person who is "Lawfully Admitted for Permanent Residence", and has 40 quarters of creditable work, is eligible for SSI

See https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/spotlights/s...n-citizens.htm for details.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:38 AM

605 posts, read 188,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Yes it is only about $800. a month. My son is disabled do to some accidents over the years. He has no job at all and so no income. He applied almost a year ago and was told he would have to wait about 18 months more for a hearing meanwhile he keeps having surgeries and things get worse. He turns 50 this year.
It's higher in California where they give a food stamp allotment in the check. Though since it's only about 10% of what you'd get if you actually signed up for food stamps, I believed the law changed this year. One on SSi can sign up for both now

Dad gets $400 in earned Social Security so that is going to be the first part of his SSI check with the State making up the difference

Old 10-20-2018, 06:39 AM

890 posts, read 558,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yes, I knew some folks on SSI that were under 65. VERY low-income people, with "some" kind of disability. I guess the OP's father will get more on SSI than SS? I thought SSI was only about $800 a month...
No, my father is only getting medicare now, and is ready for filing retirement paycheck (estimate amount less than $400 per month).

Who can qualify for SSI? Does it require to be blind or disabled?

Can a low income senior person (66 years old, but no blind/disabled) qualify?

Thanks.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:46 AM

11,264 posts, read 8,429,934 times
Quote:
Yes it is only about $800. a month. My son is disabled do to some accidents over the years. He has no job at all and so no income. He applied almost a year ago and was told he would have to wait about 18 months more for a hearing meanwhile he keeps having surgeries and things get worse. He turns 50 this year.
Very sad that genuine needs are suspect because of massive abuse of the system bogging down the process. I lived on a street in rural MS where nearly everyone was on or trying to get disability. (They all seemed to be related, too. Probably another subject.)

Old 10-20-2018, 08:15 AM

3,558 posts, read 6,207,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yes, I knew some folks on SSI that were under 65. VERY low-income people, with "some" kind of disability. I guess the OP's father will get more on SSI than SS? I thought SSI was only about $800 a month...
I thought if you were disabled and turn your retirement age it automatically changes to SS at the same rate you got on SSI or SSD, You can't get both. There is some assistance to pay for drugs though. You can get medicaid and medicare together.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:23 AM

3,558 posts, read 6,207,555 times
Quote:
When you wait for disability you go through all your savings while waiting. Many people bankrupt, lose their homes in some states. It helps to get a lawyer because they can get through the runaround better. Your agent handling your case is always out. They change you to a different agent every time you call. You get denied more than once. It took about 3 years using a lawyer the last year for my husband. When he turned 65 his disability turned to SS. One problem, we thought we had to wait till 65 got supplemental insurance but got the wrong info from insurance companies so we ended up spending about $10,000 out of pocket on emergency room and hospital stays.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:35 AM

71,584 posts, read 71,730,589 times
keep in mind , ssi is not ssdi which is social security disability .ssi is supplementary ss payments and is a welfare program administered by ss. they are two different things compared to what the op is asking .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or