U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 09:33 AM

890 posts, read 557,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Go to your county health and human services office (or whatever they call it).

It is.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a State program, but funded by the federal government out of the General Fund and administered by the Social Security Administration. Social Security's only real involvement is issuing the checks and maintaining the database.

It's quite common for many retirees to receive both SSI and OASI.

Note that you do not get SSI plus OASI.

In other words, he will not receive a check for $750 plus a check for $400.

He gets $750, of which $400 is paid by OASI and $350 by SSI. SSI beneficiaries get COLAs just like OASI and OADI beneficiaries do.

One reason for going to the county office instead of applying on-line is that he will need to apply for SNAP benefits and for Medicaid, so he might as well go to one location and complete all the paperwork.

Additionally, the office will have a list of all senior housing options available under HUD Section 8.

Taking the utility allowance into consideration and depending on where he actually lives, it will limit his rent payments to about $118 to $230 per month.
He is getting SNAP and medicaid. Public housing is too too difficult to get, even if Section 8, a lot of place does not accept application. Not that easy to get all the welfare, resource is limited, some people wait for years to get public housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 10:04 AM

13,324 posts, read 25,297,040 times
He can get supplemental SSI, but it's going to require him making an appointment to speak to someone in person. I have a friend that gets both of them.

Old 10-20-2018, 10:40 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,664,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post
My father turns to 66 soon, and he is ready for applying for retirement paycheck soon (low income, came to USA less than 15 years, so his estimated retirement paycheck is less than $400 per month). He applied for medicare last year, his full retirement age is 66 years old.

I am wondering how to apply for SSI along the retirement paycheck.

Thanks.
If by retirement paycheck you mean Social Security you cannot collect both. I was on SSI but when I reached retirement age I was taken off and put on SS. Go to Government website to find out the actual rules because there could be possible exceptions. Better yet, have your dad go to his nearest SS office.

Old 10-20-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
I thought if you were disabled and turn your retirement age it automatically changes to SS at the same rate you got on SSI or SSD, You can't get both. There is some assistance to pay for drugs though. You can get medicaid and medicare together.
This was exactly my situation but reading here it appears there are differ programs. However, I think it is true that one must have a disability to collect SSI. I did.

Old 10-20-2018, 10:45 AM

890 posts, read 557,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
If by retirement paycheck you mean Social Security you cannot collect both. I was on SSI but when I reached retirement age I was taken off and put on SS. Go to Government website to find out the actual rules because there could be possible exceptions. Better yet, have your dad go to his nearest SS office.
What are you talking? I thought SSI requires to be 65 years at least, when you are 65 years old, you are qualified for SS. Moreover, I thought applying for SSI will automatically apply for SS.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:39 AM

605 posts, read 188,794 times
Quote:
If the amount os under the States SSI Level, and he's stated it is, then he will get ONE check. The first amount will be his earned social security and the second amount will be the difference.

ExamPle- $975 Social Security Income check
- $375 his earned Social Security Retirement Check
-------------------------------------
$600.
The state will add $600 to his earned $375 check to = $975 (which I believe is the going rate here in California)

Everyone who is Poor enough can sign uP for SSI. BUT....if their earned income on their own record is $975 or more, they would not be allowed to sign uP for SSI. They'd get their own SSR known as Social Security Retirement

This is very simPle. Not sure what his thread is making it so difficult

Old 10-20-2018, 08:00 PM

19,910 posts, read 14,235,190 times
Quote:
He is getting SNAP and medicaid. Public housing is too too difficult to get, even if Section 8, a lot of place does not accept application. Not that easy to get all the welfare, resource is limited, some people wait for years to get public housing.
Then relocate.

There are 42,000+ counties and municipalities in the US from which to choose. As an added bonus, the Cost-of-Living in many of those is very low, so $750/month has the buying power of people earning $1,400 or more. Not only does the federal government provide subsidized housing, but many States do, too. Even in those States that do not operate subsidized housing, like Ohio, counties and cities still provide subsidized housing.

Quote:
This was exactly my situation but reading here it appears there are differ programs. However, I think it is true that one must have a disability to collect SSI. I did.
No, it is not true.

Supplemental Security Income is a program that pays monthly cash benefits to blind or disabled children and adults who are blind, disabled, or over 65.

If you are age 65 years or older, you will only be approved if your Social Security retirement benefit is less than $750/month.

There are 4,436,000 people under age 65 that receive only SSI.

There are 1,461,000 people under age 65 that receive Social Security Disability and SSI. They obtained enough work credits to qualify for OADI, but their OADI benefit is less than $750/month, so they receive SSI.

There are 991,000 people age 65 or older who receive only SSI. The bulk of those people were disabled from birth and were never able to work to qualify for OASI. A small minority are drifters and vagrants who never held a job for any length of time, and often worked under the table when they did work.

There are 1,267,000 age 65 and older who receive both OASI and SSI. Most of those people had received OADI and SSI prior to age 65. Your OADI benefit is converted to OASI once you reach full-retirement age.

Old 10-21-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
If the amount os under the States SSI Level, and he's stated it is, then he will get ONE check. The first amount will be his earned social security and the second amount will be the difference.

ExamPle- $975 Social Security Income check
- $375 his earned Social Security Retirement Check
-------------------------------------
$600.
The state will add $600 to his earned $375 check to = $975 (which I believe is the going rate here in California)

Everyone who is Poor enough can sign uP for SSI. BUT....if their earned income on their own record is $975 or more, they would not be allowed to sign uP for SSI. They'd get their own SSR known as Social Security Retirement

This is very simPle. Not sure what his thread is making it so difficult
It is only simple if it applies to him. The trouble is he is assuming everyone is eligible for SS at age 65 which of course is not the case. He is also assuming that everyone gets SSI right along with SS. This is also not the case. I don't think you are understanding his question. What he needs to do is go to his SS office and find out what he is eligible for and not what he thinks he might be eligible for. Then he can talk figures.

Old 10-21-2018, 11:36 PM

31,054 posts, read 13,591,379 times
Quote:
No, my father is only getting medicare now, and is ready for filing retirement paycheck (estimate amount less than $400 per month).

Who can qualify for SSI? Does it require to be blind or disabled?

Can a low income senior person (66 years old, but no blind/disabled) qualify?

Thanks.
You have to be disabled to apply for SSI

Old 10-22-2018, 10:12 AM

5,234 posts, read 8,402,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You have to be disabled to apply for SSI
Not necessarily.

Over age 65, and Low or no income without disabilities are eligible.

See 2nd paragraph of https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/ssi/

"SSI benefits also are payable to people 65 and older without disabilities who meet the financial limits."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or